Beware-peanut Allergy-pillow Chocolates

luv2cruz62

My dh and I just got off of the Sun last Saturday :( and we had saved the little chocolates that the room stewards place on your pillow. We brought them home for our 2 girls (who did not come on the cruise). My daughter told my husband that he could have one of hers, so he opend up the GOLD wrapped one, and yes, there are pieces of peanuts in it...and yes....my husband has a peanut allergy..luckily it is not a life threatening allergy, but could still be quite serious if not looked after immediately, and he was able to rinse his mouth and brush his teeth for about 10 minutes.....

I would hate to think what could have happened, had he perhaps taken a chocolate in his pocket to munch on later during a shore excursion or would not be close to a washroom. It could have been quite serious!

SO, BEWARE OF THOSE GOLD COLORED CHOCOLATES IF YOU HAVE A PEANUT ALLERGY!!

THERE IS NO WARNING ON THE WRAPPER!!

My dh and I just got off of the Sun last Saturday :( and we had saved the little chocolates that the room stewards place on your pillow. We brought them home for our 2 girls (who did not come on the cruise). My daughter told my husband that he could have one of hers, so he opend up the GOLD wrapped one, and yes, there are pieces of peanuts in it...and yes....my husband has a peanut allergy..luckily it is not a life threatening allergy, but could still be quite serious if not looked after immediately, and he was able to rinse his mouth and brush his teeth for about 10 minutes.....

I would hate to think what could have happened, had he perhaps taken a chocolate in his pocket to munch on later during a shore excursion or would not be close to a washroom. It could have been quite serious!

SO, BEWARE OF THOSE GOLD COLORED CHOCOLATES IF YOU HAVE A PEANUT ALLERGY!!

THERE IS NO WARNING ON THE WRAPPER!!

My DS has a severe peanut allergy. As a rule, we NEVER give him anything that does not have the ingredients listed on the packaging. We NEVER give him chocolates due to the reality that most chocolate bars are manufactured on equipment that processes nuts.

Thanks for the warning, tho.

If like me you have a peanut allergy be careful of restraunts that cook there food in peanut oil. This happened to me once and went to emergency, no warning from the waiter that it was cooked in peanut oil. As a side note there are plain m&m's and peanut m&m's. Both have peanuts but it is listed on the packaging. Just funny that they have plain and peanut m&m's when both have peanuts .:) As we all know peanut oil in the shells is the same if you have a peanut allergy.

I agree with many of the other posters. If you have a food allergy, i would never eat anything unless you know exactly what is in it. Not just that, but where it came from. Maybe they are not supposed to have peanuts in them, but were manufactured on a machine that also makes stuff with peanuts in it, so that is how they could even have gotten in there......

Thanks for your input.....I agree that if there are no ingredients listed you should stay away....

My husband is 44 years old and should know better!!!!!

But I think he has chocolate cravings more that me :eek: ....

luckily he is ok.....and hopefully he learned a lesson!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks again!!

Your DH's peanut allergy reminds me of a few chuckles I've had aboard ships in the past.

My allergy stems from a mix of certain types of foods including chocolate, strawberries, grapes, tomatoes and oranges - basically acid type foods. I can eat any of them but can't mix them in a meal or eat two or more them within a few hours of each other.

In other words, I've learned to never drink wine with a meal containing marinara sauce and have never had a traditional banana split.:(

A few years ago DH & I were not impressed with eggs served to us in the dining room at breakfast. The head waiter apologized all over the place and asked us for our cabin number. That afternoon we found a huge plate of chocolate covered strawberries in our cabin, compliments of the chef.

We were on a cruise a few months later that coincided with Mothers Day. Every woman on the ship was treated with -- a huge plate of chocolate covered strawberries in honor of the day.:D

Luckily I do not have an allergy to peanuts so I'd be very happy to trade your DH my choco strawberries for his chocolate peanut candy!

Dianne

Archived