What do you do for lunch if you go to the beach?

We are planning to go to the beach on some port days on our own. I really don't want to eat local food in Cozumel on the beach. What do you normally eat when you are at the beach on a port day? Do you take something off the ship????

We are planning to go to the beach on some port days on our own. I really don't want to eat local food in Cozumel on the beach. What do you normally eat when you are at the beach on a port day? Do you take something off the ship????

Only if it is something that is prepackaged. No fresh meat, cheese, fruit or vegetables are allowed to be taken off the ship. The US has the same laws for bringing these same items into the US.

we pack a snack bag with prepackaged crackers, cookies, fruit snacks, stuff like that you get from the supermarket in the lunchbox isle. The little cereal boxes in the windjammer are great too.:)

Edited to ask why do you wish to not try the mexican food in cozumel? The food on the island is fabulous. Hubby had the best nachos ever and he loves mexican foods.

Only if it is something that is prepackaged. No fresh meat, cheese, fruit or vegetables are allowed to be taken off the ship. The US has the same laws for bringing these same items into the US.

Do they check each passenger leaving the ship? Seems like it would take forever....

We usually return to the ship for lunch. But then, we've usually had enough sun by lunchtime. We head back to the ship for lunch, showers and nap! If we decide to forego the nap, we may head back to either explore or spend more beach time.

It's pretty quiet on board when the ship is in port so we usually just stay on board after we return.

In Coz, we had a nice lunch at the open air restaurant at Chankanaab Park. Best lemon soup I have ever eaten. I agree with the above posts - be a little careful and follow the recommendations such as avoiding lettuce, etc., but try some of the local foods.

We consider eating the local cuisine an integral part of learning about a new locale.

The more popular beaches on most of the islands have beach restaurants nearby. You can get everything from burgers and fries to local favorites like flying fish in Barbados and fried plantains on many islands. The establishments we have gone to have for the most part been as clean as the places you'd see in the U.S.

Go out on a limb and try something new!

Also, while you're at it, forego the Budweiser and try some local beers as well!

I'm worried about the water and Montezuma's revenge! The last thing I want is to get sick on vacation.

That is too bad cause you are going to miss some great cuisine. What do you think people who vacation in Mexico for days or weeks at a time do? They don't starve and they don't pack food from home. Like other people have said, if you use caution you can eat plenty in Mexico. Any large restaurant chain, and restaurant affiliated with a large hotel/resort. You will have plenty of choices. Some of the crew onboard the ship could even direct you to some great places to eat. You could even do some research on the net prior to your cruise and find great, safe places to eat.

I think that people who vacation there eat at their resort which probably has filtered water. I am just concerned that if we just stop at a beach we won't know what restaurant is safe and what restaurant is not. For example, we do plan to go to Paradise Beach in Cozumel. How will I know where to eat? We are VERY adventurous eaters normally and love all cuisines. I'd love to try local but I really am concerned about what is safe and what is not. When we've gone to Mexico before we've gone to a hotel beach where I know the food is safe. Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't want some gastro thing ruining my trip.

Just stay away from "fresh" produce like lettuce and stuff and stick with sodas, beer etc. The water isn't bad it is just different from ours. What we usually do is to have a big breakfast, skip lunch and then have a late snack back on the ship around 4. Since we have late seating this works out great.

Just know that Paradise Beach is a bar/restaurant (and more!) on the beach. They are able to provide their amenities because of the customers who spend the day with them. Their food was fabulous - they also had bottled water. I'll be there again next week and am looking forward to my day. If you haven't already - please check out the website - their menu is posted. http://www.paradisecozumel.com/

Mexico knows that if their tourists get sick - their tourists won't come.

They have made great improvements in the water systems there and most places are ok.....especially those that cater to tourists...

When visiting Mazatlan in 2004 we took a tour up into the mountains to visit a tiny village. We had lunch there in one of the three restaurants..... one of the best meals I have ever eaten on a trip......

We eat pretty much everywhere we go. We do try to stick to the tourist areas though and have never had a problem.

Pretty much all the restaurants in the tourist areas use purified water in food prep. and drinking. If you are still concerned, drink bottled water. The food is great and there is all kinds and types. If you want American style food, it is there. As has been suggested, do not take non factory prepackaged food off the ship, it is illegal.

While I can understand your concern, I've eaten at the restaurant at Playa Bonita on Coz probably a dozen times and never had a problem. The food is very good.

I have had great food on the beaches of Cozumel.

I am also ultra paranoid about that stuff.

They are there to take care of the tourists..not to poison them.

If I were you I would not worry at all and have a great time.

All the water on Cozumel is purified so you have nothing to worry about.

Our last time in Cozumel (2004), the local officials had two dogs at the dock. They were checking bags that the dogs alerted to. DH and I watched in concern (ok, we were curious) as to what could be in the bag the dog had picked out. The person emptied out her bag and two sandwiches from room service were seized. I later heard from our waiter that night the pax was fined $150US. Would have been cheaper to buy lunch.

Of course, with the tendering vs docking situation now, I'm not sure if they are still checking for food, but I wouldn't want to spoil my vacation by sneaking food off the ship.

Archived