Jelly fish question at paradise beach

mamamaga

We will be at Paradise beach on October 1st. Does anybody know if there will be a lot of jellyfish there at that time? We went to Coco Cay last year around this time and it was over run with them. My daughter in law is terrified of them and won't go to the beach until I find out the answer. Thanks for the help.. Linda

I couldn't tell you specifically if there will be jellyfish at Paradise Beach in October. The presence of jellyfish depends on the weather and currents and, as is the case with thimble jellies, the time of the year.

One thing to know is that they jellyfish aren't like the great big man-o-war jellies. What we've seent the most of are the little thimble jellies that are brownish and about the size of the tip of your finger. They're usually more prevalent in the spring. Then, either the currents take them away, or the sea turtles eat them. If you happen to get "stung" by them it's more of an annoyance than anything -- like a little pin prick. No biggie at all.

Even when we've seen the bigger jellies in the water, and it was in November at Chankanaab and only on one day, we just steered clear of them and didn't have any problems.

we were at paradise beach (was it only three days ago? sigh) and we did not see any jellies. There were, however, great massages, nacho's, drinks, snorkeling (we saw a HUGE starfish) .... I highly recommend this beach as a place to get away from the downtown area where everyone is in your face. It was wonderful. It was overcast and sprinkling, but the bar and the umbrellas were up to the task, and you get wet anyway. Vic

Archived