Back from Grandeur handicapped room

juliab

Left from Baltimore on 8/18. Was booked in 7602 a handicapped cabin. The cabin was good sized, so was balcony. Plenty of room for my walker and scooter. I have myositis-that is weakened muscles and it is difficult for me to rise from a chair unless it is raised. I took one look at the toilet and nearly passed out-it was 15" high-not even as high as a standard toilet. The room steward got me a riser which did not fit the toilet, so that it was very unsteady. My husband had to hold me on it. Not good at all! I went immediately to customer service and told them how unsafe this was for me.

They sent an adjustable chair to put over the toilet. It worked-but not extremely well.

Later in the week I went over to my daughter's cabin-an inside 7605. In her tiny bathroom-Guess what I found? A handicapped height toilet which was 19" high. can you believe this?

Just in case you are wondering, I had a ruler with me as I am a knitter.

Although the ADA does not yet apply to cruise ships, the standard under the ADA is for toilets seats to be 16-19" from the floor. A 19" is too high for many if you are short, or if you need to use your own roll-over commode chair (as we do). We have had (in the past) problems with raised toilet seats that do not fit their toilets. Who advises these people, I wonder??? Anyway, we got very good at strapping raised toilet seats onto toilets using the two extra gait belts we always take with us on cruises. They come in handing for lifting someone into a non-accessible van, as safety belts when you are being lifted up/down stairs or gangways in your wheelchair at ports, and (amazingly) for transfers or gait assistance by caregivers in the cabin.

Archived