Questions About QM2 Labor Day Cruise

Isabel68

I'll be cruising with my in-laws on the QM2 this Labor Day heading to Nova Scotia. I've never been to nova scotia and I've never been a cruise so I'm a little unsure of what to expect. (i apologize in advance for sounding like a complete idiot.)

We'll be traveling with my 15 month old. Has anyone left their little ones (aged 2 or under) in the nursery? Would love some feedback. I'm a first-time mom and extemely anxious about leaving my son.

Also, how formal is the atmosphere on board? I am curious only because running after a 1-year old isn't easy in heels and formalwear. I'll be totally recognizable to all of you reading this because i'll be the girl literally wearing my sons baby food. I rarely escape from a feeding clean. (you'll really have to forgive me here, i used to be totally civilized, those days are so over...)

If anyone has been on this cruise at this time of year, is it really cold up there? My mom in-law casually mentioned we should bring warm clothes... is it winter up there or something???

Any guidance you can provide is much appreciated.

Isabel,

I hope you have posted to our roll Call over on the roll call list!

I will be with you on this cruise. Cabin 6144, along with my significant other, Marc. Oh, and about 75 other cruisers from this board and their friends and loved ones. So, yes. there are a few people here who will be on this trip.

I am bringing both shorts and long pants. I am still undecided about my evening wear. I know what I will wear for the black and white ball. Ot's the other three nights. I'll probably end up taking ten dresses and deciding on board! And I am sure you will look lovely in anything he eats!

As long as you do not wear the dreaded J word (a fabric named after the town of Nimes France) you will be fine! actually, Jeans are perfectly acceptible during the day, though I would think you might feel more comfortable in khakis or something a bit dressier. Only because Cunard does attract a clientele who often rejoice in dressing more upscale.I don't have children, but everyone who has posted on the subject has been delighted with the care their children got in Cunard's nursery. You will do fine. my suggestion to you - dress in layers. It may be a bit chilly with the winds at sea, and with the remnants of Ernesto heading our way, could be breezier than usual. But if you are in a protected place and it is sunny, it may be quite warm indeed!

From all I have heard, Nova Scotia is a marvelous place. If you love the sea, it is an especially alluring place, with a maritime history unparallelled to many. (And Jimmy Buffett's grandfather is from there!)

We welcome you aboard. We will be having a get-together in the Commodore club at 2:00 on Sunday. (And an informal get-together at 10:00 PM Saturdayalso in the Commodore)

THEE DAYS AND A WAKE UP!

Karie,

who is glad to see another join us!

Hope you'll be able to join the Cruise Critic get-together on Sunday...we look forward to meeting you:) .

The home page of Cruise Critic has a nice article about Halifax, Nova Scotia. I was there about 8 years ago and it's a lovely place...great walking city. As to weather, I would expect temperatures in the mid 60s...the catch will be how windy it will be (or not) depending on conditions when we get there. Fortunately, Nova Scotia is far enough north and hopefully won't be (too) impacted by Ernesto. Travel-to-Go's suggestion about planning on wearing layers of clothing is 100% correct. This will serve you well both on Nova Scotia and on board the ship...it can be quite windy on the open decks. Make sure you have "sturdy" walking shoes for Nova Scotia, especially if you plan to visit Peggy's Cove. I would also suggest an umbrella (one of those small collapsing kind that you can tuck in your purse).

Pouring rain here in Connecticut (I work in southern Fairfield County)...here's hoping that the sun will come out on Saturday and that we'll have smooth seas during our voyage (but bringing the bonine just in case Ernesto wants to play;) ).

Safe travels to all, and see you on board!

Thanks for all of your very helpful responses. Once I figure out where the roll call thing is, I'll sign up!

I'll come prepared for all types of weather and will do my best to dodge the flying baby food. Looking forward to meeting all of you... ;)

We brought our daughters, who had just turned 2 and 4, on a Transatlantic trip last September. The girls fell in love with the Play Zone. So did their parents.

The Play Zone is open from 9:00 (if memory serves) until midnight. It closes for lunch and dinner. It is well staffed with very competent young women who keep the kids busy and engaged. If your voyage is like ours, there may be more staff than kids. Ours was the first trip after the summer season, which--according to the Play Zone staff--can see several hundred children per trip. Having only one or two dozen to watch made everyone quite relaxed, or perhaps relieved.

Having the kids so well occupied allowed my wife and me to take full advantage of everything QM2 offers, and actually relax in the process. At first we felt guilty about "dumping" them on someone else, but it was always their choice to go. In fact, they were quite disappointed when mom and dad pulled them out of the Zone one afternoon to go explore the ship.

I expect that you and your son will enjoy your cruise, and only regret that it could not be longer!

Isabel

Best way to find the roll calls (IMHO) Is to go to the bottom of the page, click the drop down menu (next to the word Go) scroll down two whole pages of listings, and you will see the bold heading ROLL CALLS. The first one is ALL OTHER CRUISE LINES Go there, and then scroll down til you see our Sept 2 QM2 heading!

If that doesn't work for you, post back and I will get the link and paste it in here.

Karie,

Who still hasn't started packing.

TWO DAYS AND A WAKE UP!!!!

Archived