Alaska excursions

newcruisingmama

We want to zipline. Not sure whether to go in Ketchikan or Juneau as its offered in both. Does anyone know whether one or the other is better or if there's another excursion that shouldn't be missed in either place.... I've heard a lot about Larry's Whale Watching in Juneau... Any suggestions?:)

(I did alaskazip.com, not the ship's excursion). I kindof wish I had done it in Ketchikan instead, though, because at least for us, I think the ship's excursion was combined with a canopy walk. It was about a 15 - 20 minute drive to get to the Juneau zipline from the port (alaskazip drove us), and you might want to consider how long the drive is in ketchikan, if that matters. Supposedly they are building one in icy strait point for next year, if that's when you're going.

We want to zipline. Not sure whether to go in Ketchikan or Juneau as its offered in both. Does anyone know whether one or the other is better or if there's another excursion that shouldn't be missed in either place.... I've heard a lot about Larry's Whale Watching in Juneau... Any suggestions?:)

A zipline excursion isn't particularly "Alaskan." Some things can only be done in Alaska - like landing on a glacier after a helicopter flight (Juneau or Skagway), Misty Fjords via floatplane or boat (Ketchikan), White Pass & Yukon Railroad (Skagway). Whale watching can also be done elsewhere, but Juneau and Icy Strait Point are the best places for that on an Alaskan cruise.

We've been to Alaska 2X and both times in Juneau, we did the whale watching. This year had a fantastic experience with a full breach and tale fluke by one of the playful whales. Had a fabulous trip. My suggestion for Juneau is the whale watch. We also did the evening whale quest which was a waste of money since it was the exact same thing as we had done during the day. We also saw more whales earlier in the day during the whale watch trip. In any case - enjoy your trip!

Has anyone gone on any jeep tours? Question is: it's noted they hold 4 people; does one couple get their own vehicle or will the tour put 2 couples in one jeep?

The quality varies damatically depending on who your guide is. Some are very good I hear, but all of the ones I've talked to (all at Skagway) suck - they know nothing at all about the area, or even about Alaska. They all will put 2 couples in a Jeep, and none go on particularly rough roads, making them the world's most expensive car rental.

Murray

(I did alaskazip.com, not the ship's excursion). I kindof wish I had done it in Ketchikan instead, though, because at least for us, I think the ship's excursion was combined with a canopy walk. It was about a 15 - 20 minute drive to get to the Juneau zipline from the port (alaskazip drove us), and you might want to consider how long the drive is in ketchikan, if that matters. Supposedly they are building one in icy strait point for next year, if that's when you're going.

Thanks... I was leaning toward going in Ketchikan as Juneau has other excursions I am interested in. We are actually going this year... Sept 10, less than 2 weeks to go. Was it cold when you did it? I'm thinking its going to be cold and wet when we go... not sure if that will be a problem? We're going to Whistler this weekend maybe we should zip there (supposed to be 80 degrees).

The quality varies damatically depending on who your guide is. Some are very good I hear, but all of the ones I've talked to (all at Skagway) suck - they know nothing at all about the area, or even about Alaska. They all will put 2 couples in a Jeep, and none go on particularly rough roads, making them the world's most expensive car rental.

Murray

That's very disappointing to hear; there are so many other excursions we could have paid for instead. Oh, well, we'll just have to grin and bear it :D . Maybe we'll be lucky and get a good guide and/or route.

Just back we did the zipline through ncl in ketikan very early was fun and my dw loved it as it was excited saw some eagle as soon as we got into the forest which was cool then we were crossing one of the rope bridges and I was bringing up the rear as the guide is telling dw and the other lady with us how salmon run it the creek below us I stop and look down to see and there is a large black bear with a salmon in his mouth climbng up the river bed unbelievable... we also went right fron the zipline to a float palne trip with island wings amazing view but a little rough might have just been that day???Also we did they helicopter glacier landing in juneau best excursion on the trip really wanted to do whalewathching also but did not have time.. But I must be lucky because we saw whales 3-4 diffrent time from the ship twice real close 1 group of killer whales was great they were with us for 15 minutes great view of them

Archived