Galveston Pier Area

croozer

Anyone familiar with the area around the Galveston Pier? I'm taking a red-eye that gets into Houston at 6:20 a.m., then I kill a couple of hours at the airport until the 8:30 a.m. shuttle, then I still get to the pier a couple of hours before embarkation. I've read that there's an area with restaurants and shops--maybe I could grab some breakfast after giving my luggage to the porters. Anyone know of such an area? Is it walking distance from the Royal Caribbean Rhapsody's pier? Any information would be most appreciated.

Anyone familiar with the area around the Galveston Pier? I'm taking a red-eye that gets into Houston at 6:20 a.m., then I kill a couple of hours at the airport until the 8:30 a.m. shuttle, then I still get to the pier a couple of hours before embarkation. I've read that there's an area with restaurants and shops--maybe I could grab some breakfast after giving my luggage to the porters. Anyone know of such an area? Is it walking distance from the Royal Caribbean Rhapsody's pier? Any information would be most appreciated.

Theres a Restaurant Just beside the Carnival Pier called Fishermans Wharf! Across the street is Starbucks Theres some more east of Fishermans Wharf but I dont know if they all are open for Breakfast! You would have to go to seawall Blvd or closer in town! Starbucks has Sweet rolls and they may be able to give you more Info! They are at 22nd.Street and Harborside Drive just across from The Carnival Conquest Pier Good Luck!;)

Thanks, Lonestar, for the info. The Port of Galveston web site says the passenger terminals are Piers 25-27, and they say:

PIER 19-22 WINDOW ON THE WATERFRONT

Tourist-Oriented Facility

• Ocean Star Drilling Rig Museum

• Shops

• Restaurants

• Theaters and art galleries

• Waterfront Inn

• 1877 Iron Barque ELISSA

• Restaurants

• Texas Seaport Museum

Which is what I'd like to walk over to--but my Rhapsody documents say the ship is at Pier 2, 2702 Harborside Drive, so I'm a little confused. Guess I'll figure it all out when I get there!

You'll be less than two blocks from the Strand, an old commercial area now the home of lots of shops and restaurants. There will be wide choice in restaurants ranging from Phoenix Bakery (2220 Tremont/23rd Street) to Luigi's (2328 Strand) to Mediterrean Chef (2402 Strand), Fisherman's Wharf (on Harborside just to the east of the cruise terminals) to The Merchant Prince in the historical Tremont Hotel (2300 Ship's Mechanic Row) if you really want to go $$$. Unlike some of the ports we have been to, Galveston does offer "something to do/see" in close proximity to the cruise terminals. Of couse, I could be prejudiced...being a Texan.

What great info--I'm going to print out this thread and bring it with me. I don't mind walking and I don't mind killing time--anything is better than just sitting there waiting, so now I know I have some options (plus, thanks for the specific addresses!) This is all so very helpful.

I'm in the Los Angeles area and often cruise out of the Port of Los Angeles (which is actually San Pedro, except for the Carnival terminal in Long Beach) and I can assure you there's NOTHING around there. A ways down (but not walking distance) is a cute Ports of Call Village, but even that has fallen into disrepair, with shuttered stores, probably because it ISN'T in walking distance.

Now I can wait to explore the Galveston pier area!

UH UH Clearlake cruisers your not being prejudiced! Im also a Texican!;) I just didnt know the correct addresses Because I know where Im going since Ive been down there 8 times now,Never paid much attention to Street signs I was only trying to get croozer close by!;) I sure appreciate you jumping in and giving him some more correct advice;) Now he will not want to get on the Ship!:D Hey clearlakecruiser can you send me a e-mail id like to talk at you some more?: robdog82@msn.com! Thanks!;)

I hope you have a good cruise,and e-mail me when you return and let me know how you made out!;) :cool: robdog82@msn.com

Will do, Lonestar. Wish I had more time afterwards, but I thought a 2:20 flight out would mean hours of boredom at the airport; turns out with extra security and the long ride to Houston, I won't have that much time after all. And, by the way, I'm a she, not a he :) and since I'm traveling alone, I like to get the lay of the land before I get there. But make no mistake, I'll have a good time and I'll let you know how it all went after I get back :)

By some miracle we stumbled across a great place last year. Not far from the termnal and had a great breakfast. I think it was Selina's( a little Meixcan food place). It isn't on the Strand but faces the Landry's/Fisherman's Wharf parking lot area. It is on the backside of the shops on the Strand. Not much to look at from the outside (White painted blocks, few windows-if any) and not busy at all. We were a little skeptical at first but we would love to try it again when we go back in January. Sorry so few details but I just can't remember--too much fun and Rum on the cruise:D .

Will do, Lonestar. Wish I had more time afterwards, but I thought a 2:20 flight out would mean hours of boredom at the airport; turns out with extra security and the long ride to Houston, I won't have that much time after all. And, by the way, I'm a she, not a he :) and since I'm traveling alone, I like to get the lay of the land before I get there. But make no mistake, I'll have a good time and I'll let you know how it all went after I get back :)

OOPS! Sorry about that!Embarassed!

Croozer, the piers coincide with the street numbers (pier 27 at 27th st.) The RCCL Terminal 2 building therefore will be about 6-7 blocks from the reataurants etc but I don't believe any will be open that early. Check on mapquest to get a map scale to see about how far it actually is.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still a little confused about parking at the terminal or a nearby parking service. We will be driving to the port and need to know how all this works!

Is there parking at the port? or do you have to park at a private lot and be suttled to the terminal? I would rather park there and just get our bags out and on to the ship, does it work that way if Galveston? and what is the average cost of parking for a 7 day cruise? Thanks for any help!

I recommend www.ezcruiseparking.com which is $50 if booked on line. The official port parking is $65. EZcruise will take you and your luggage to the Terminal and drop you off. For the Port parkingthey do not transfer luggage, so you must drop off your pax and luggage and then park and ride back on their shuttle.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking the largest grocery stores are Kroger and Wal-Mart on the seawall. That is, in fact, only a short taxi ride from the terminal area as Galveston is a very small island. Perhaps someone else can help you with something closer. There are several areas at freeway exits between Houston and Galveston that have large grocery stores and/or Wal-Marts, if you are driving and able to stop. There are also some small shops on The Strand adjacent to the terminals but diet tonic may not be in their stock. Sorry not to be more helpful.

Thanks, Lonestar, for the info. The Port of Galveston web site says the passenger terminals are Piers 25-27, and they say:

PIER 19-22 WINDOW ON THE WATERFRONT

Tourist-Oriented Facility

• Ocean Star Drilling Rig Museum

• Shops

• Restaurants

• Theaters and art galleries

• Waterfront Inn

• 1877 Iron Barque ELISSA

• Restaurants

• Texas Seaport Museum

Which is what I'd like to walk over to--but my Rhapsody documents say the ship is at Pier 2, 2702 Harborside Drive, so I'm a little confused. Guess I'll figure it all out when I get there!

Goes to show how much you miss when time is flying and your having fun. I don't remember any of these above mentioned places when we cruised out of Galvestonon the Grand in March of 04. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express (now under a new name) and at only at places on the Seawall. Did the Pier go through some pretty big construction in the last 2 years? I remember only a small pier comparable to New Orleans, don't remember specific cruise line terminals for some reason, go figure.

Clearlakecruisers, Thanks! You have been a great help. I am sure that Kroger and Wal-Mart will have sufficient quanitities of diet tonic water for us as long as it is no problem for us to disembark and get a taxi.

Thanks again,

MIke

Archived