money exchange

After leaving the ship in Halifax, Where is the closest, most convenient place where we can exchange a few dollars, just to have for walking money. I would hate to use my credit card just to buy a beaver tail and a cup of Tim Horton coffee.

After leaving the ship in Halifax, Where is the closest, most convenient place where we can exchange a few dollars, just to have for walking money. I would hate to use my credit card just to buy a beaver tail and a cup of Tim Horton coffee.

When we were in Niagara Falls a week and a half ago, Tim Horton's was very happy to take US dollars. We've never worried about exchanging dollars - the exchange rate in the tourist areas is not very good. Your credit card probably will give you the best exchange rate, and if the seller accepts it - why not?

I ordered a small amount of Canadian money at my local bank for my September cruise. There was no charge for the service and it took a week for the money to arrive. They give you the exchange rate at the time of the order.

Lesa

I would use a bank machine. There are several in the downtown area - I think there is one at the Westin Hotel which is very close to the port. Are you able to order Canadian currency through your bank before you leave?

Although a lot of places will take US dollars, retailers (particularly the staff) still prefer Canadian dollars. As well, the exchange rate offered is usually not good.

Definitely a good idea to have some Canadian currency with you as well for those smaller purchases as several places won't take credit cards.

We leave on Saturday and unfortunately I didn't think of it till too late to do anything about getting money from my bank. I had about $10 or $15 left over from my trip to Montreal a few years ago but the safe place I put it in escapes my mind. :)

Archived