QM2 - wonderful trip

heywood

Hello everyone,

we recently did the transatlantic westbound- 11th August and are due to fly home tomorrow from USA - hence the delay in posting my comments. We had a wonderful trip! I was apprehensive beforehand as a first timer and after reading various comments re the passengers/ food / facilities et but there was no need to worry.

I just want to say to anyone that QM2 caters for all. We were Deck 5 - inside but near enough to the staircases/lifts. We used stairs almost all the time. The room was excellent and had enough storage. Melissa, our steward, was very helpful and pleasant. We had an anniversary package so got a few treats.

My husband enjoyed the gym daily and also plays bridge so enjoyed the classes in the morning and games in the afternoon. I loved the RADA experience; line dancing classes; the Oxford lectures - P D James and Justin Webb were so good; classical recitals- 2 piano and 1 string quartet during the days. At night we experienced good shows - especially Apassionata (I think) which was the dance show; a Shakespeare performance and the Importance of being Earnest! We walked at least one mile per day.

There was entertainment to appeal to all as I said and no time at all to be bored. People were sunbathing too!

The Britannia food was first class and our table companions delightful. We used the food courts for breakfast and a light lunch and had no problems at all- even though the ship was full.

We are late 50s and late 60s but saw all ages. I can't wait for the next trip!

Anyone ready to go - enjoy! Anyone thinking about it- just do it!

best wishes to all

heywood

Thanks for the post, heywood. We are sailing in exactly 99 days from this post. It will be our first time on the QM2 and I was beginning to get a little apprehensive. It seems there is quite a lot of negativity regarding the QM2 on this forum, and it gets to me sometime. I want to feel like I made a good decision booking this cruise.

I admit, we are not doing a crossing- just couldn't pull it off this trip. If all goes well I might be able to negotiate a crossing with the missus for the next time. Be that as it may, it's a 7-day Carribbean cruise in Dec. for us. We are also in an inside room, Deck 10. Did you feel that anyone looked down on you for that? This will be our first inside room and I am trying to feel good about that.

Please advise.

We are also in an inside room, Deck 10. Did you feel that anyone looked down on you for that? This will be our first inside room and I am trying to feel good about that.

Please advise.

Well, first of all, from Deck 10, not too many people will be able to look DOWN on you! <G> You will ibe in the Caribbean in December. How much time do you plan to spend in your cabin? It's okay. They don't make you wear name tags or color coded wrist bands to show you are in an inside cabin! The only people who know you are in an inside are those you tell, and those around you who see you walking into your actual room! And they may be in an inside too! Plenty of avid cruisers who could afford much more prefer an inside. Some sleep better that way, some don't see the sense wasting a lot on a room they will only sleep and shower in.

You are on the QM2. What's there to be ashamed of? You will be fine! :)

Karie,

who will be boarding the QM2 tomorrow... if she ever gets packed!

Thank you, Karie! I appreciate the response. I guess I pretty much already knew what you said, but it's nice to be reassured some time. I am also hoping that my wife will be really taken with the QM2 and want to "cross-over", if you know what I mean. Look at my siggie... ;)

Making a Trans-Atlantic crossing on any ship has been my dream since childhood. I think this is rather strange for a good ol' boy from Texas, but that's the truth of it. If all goes well, maybe that dream will be fulfilled on our next trip.

Just Me

No - no-one looked down on us! No one bothered to ask! I was feeling the same way - our new friends were on deck 10 (I found out by accident) and for a very short time felt like you- then realised that they too were inside. It really doesn't matter and hopefully you will meet the same kind of charming people we did. There are of course the 'cruise divas'- the regulars- some of whom may be amongst us here but if you're like me - what you don't know about people, you make up! (only in your imagination of course)

What I also loved, as a first timer, was the daily references to the 'historic voyage' we were on in crossing the Atlantic - it just sends shivers down your spine!

I am sure you will enjoy the Caribbean and I hope you will fulfill your dreams!

best wishes

heywood

Thanks for the post, heywood. We are sailing in exactly 99 days from this post. It will be our first time on the QM2 and I was beginning to get a little apprehensive. It seems there is quite a lot of negativity regarding the QM2 on this forum, and it gets to me sometime. I want to feel like I made a good decision booking this cruise.

I admit, we are not doing a crossing- just couldn't pull it off this trip. If all goes well I might be able to negotiate a crossing with the missus for the next time. Be that as it may, it's a 7-day Carribbean cruise in Dec. for us. We are also in an inside room, Deck 10. Did you feel that anyone looked down on you for that? This will be our first inside room and I am trying to feel good about that.

Please advise.

No, no one will look down on you. Although I might suggest that you call it a cabin, rather than a room. Or call it a stateroom.

What sailing are you on? We'll be on the Dec. 16. A quick but not accurate computation of today plus 99 days makes me think that maybe you'll be going the week before; is that close to right?

WE were on that crossing and yes it was fantastic. We too were in an inside cabin on deck 5 and found it perfect for our needs. As I travel with either son or daughter, husband not able to travel with me, we do not need balcony for romantic drinks/breakfast etc. Also inside is cheaper and thus able to afford more cruises.

Did a short trip soon after QM2 launched and was disappointed with service not ship. This time not disappointed with anything, it was wonderful. Oxford lectures were outstanding and yes PD James at 84 was fantastic. She did her hour lecture on writing a crime novel without a note.

So much to do, so many wonderful people to meet and on the west crossing 25 hour days! Who can ask for more.

We had one 'rough' day - noticed the sick bags at the lectures etc and we were wobbling a bit as we walked. Someone who travelled regularly said that it was certainly a bad day and on any other ship we would be rocking much more.

Most other days were good- people were able to sunbathe certainly. One side was always windier and chillier but it was never cold. I am just collating photos etc and -oh it was so fabulous!

We were on the Eastbound trip right after yours Heywood and I was told it was one of the smoothest crossings ever. I'll post a review in the next few days. We just got home today as we traveled to London and Praha after arriving in Southampton.

-Sheby, USA

...I might suggest that you call it a cabin, rather than a room. Or call it a stateroom.

What sailing are you on? We'll be on the Dec. 16. A quick but not accurate computation of today plus 99 days makes me think that maybe you'll be going the week before; is that close to right?

Sorry for the delay in responding. I only now noticed your questions.

First, I always get confused as to which is proper, 'Room' or 'Cabin', so 'Cabin' it is, and thanks!

We are sailing on Dec. 9th. I cannot wait! I wish I could just go into a deep sleep until then... it's going to be a long 95 days.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I only now noticed your questions.

We are sailing on Dec. 9th. I cannot wait! I wish I could just go into a deep sleep until then... it's going to be a long 95 days.

So, I was right. You have a week less to wait than we do. Hope you have a marvelous cruise? And don't forget to sign the Cruise Critic book in the library.

Archived