Room info? VA6003 on Noordam

PokerDave

Just booked this room for June 3 Alaska trip next year. My grandmother ( 91 ), my mother, and my little sister and her infant will be sharing this room. Mom and Grandma each have some trouble getting around, but neither are confined to a wheelchair.

I have a couple of questions. One, this room appears to be larger than normal on a deck chart, but I know these things can be deceiving... Also, I'm assuming the balcony doesn't stretch around the corner although it looks like it could based on the diagram. Anyone have experience with these rooms on the end?

My wife and I and our two kids ( 11 and 15 ) are in a quad down the hall ( vb6031 ). Anyone done one of these quads? Will we be badly cramped?

Also, can we rent a scooter for Mom/Grandma from HAL? Or maybe from somewere in Seattle? Any idea of cost?

Thanks,

David

Four in that cabin, esp. with 2 teens should be a challenge. Sharing a bathroom will be the biggest problem, esp. when you have an early port or getting ready for formal nights. Plan ahead for shifts in the room for dressing, etc. I guess you will have to let the kids fight over who has to use the bunk bed, which will be lowered from the ceiliing. Closet space is also tight for 4, so pack lightly and try to take only one suitcase each.

The accessible cabin will also be fine, although not sure what your plans are for the infant, esp. if you have two scooters in the room in addition to the sofa bed being pulled out. Even in this larger room this will be tight. You cannot leave the scooters in the hallway.

You cannot get a scooter from HAL, but you can get one from http://www.carevacations.com Not cheap. I would also recommend taking your own manual wheelchair as scooters don't work too well ashore if you need to take a cab or tour. HAL will not take a scooter on their tender lift either (which you must arrange at least 24 hours ahead of time if she cannot manage the gangway stairs). Can your mother get into a regular tour bus or van?

Care-Vacations or scootaround for scooter. Ask for travel size 4 wheel ones. Do bring your own wheelchairs for airports/cruise tours. You have to request the pack and play from HAL Sp Svcs if you are not bringing your own at least 60 days before.

Suggestion for showers in the morning and formal night. Have the men go to the spa area and use their showers while the ladies use the bathroom. It works better and faster this way.

The baby will not be allowed in the pool due to helath regs. Bring a blow up pool put it on deck and fill it with water. The baby now has a private pool.

...I have a couple of questions. One, this room appears to be larger than normal on a deck chart, but I know these things can be deceiving... Also, I'm assuming the balcony doesn't stretch around the corner although it looks like it could based on the diagram. Anyone have experience with these rooms on the end? ...

We will be in VA6004 on the Oosterdam next summer. I've been told that there is a solid metal windbreak on the balcony, restricting the view forward.

- Richard

there is a solid windbreak, but it is totally ineffective when the ship is doing any speed at all. it is like being in a car with no windshield. fine when the ship is docked or at anchor, but not at sea. just have to be prepared for that. there is plenty of space in the room, but my recollection is 2 beds only; the 3rd person has to sleep on the sofa bed and I assume the infant will be in a crib of some kind. so in the so called living are at night you will have the sofa bed extended fully, a crib and 2 scooters. as some one has already told you they do not allow scooters to be stored in the hallway at night. we spent 31 days on westerdam in an accessible cabin on that deck but not 6003; that was occupied by able bodied people who neither asked for it nor wanted it; at the same time handicaps were making do with non accessible rooms. HAL or the TAs do a bad job in that respect.:)

Archived