1st cruise ever - Carrib. Millenium

newbie crus'r

My husband and I will be taking our first ever cruise February 2007 to the Carribbean (St. Thomas, Casa de Campo, San Juan and Nassau). We will be celebrating our 10th anniversary and are looking forward to tons of fun and relaxation. As well as a much anticipated escape from our kids ages 3 and 5. Cruise Critic has been a great resource of info and I'm looking for a bit more help.

We are in late 30's/early 40's. Did we make the right choice for a casually-elegant, delicious, good balance of fun and relaxation cruise? I sometimes worry if we are too "young" for Celebrity and that the evenings will be a bit to mello. I don't want everyone going to sleep at 10 pm, and the dance floors deserted! :(

Which ports are best for excursions? We want to spend at least one day just "beaching it" - is it best just to find a taxi and plan that ourselves? And which port would be best for that. My thought is Nassau - we are only there for ~5 hours. We would also like to have one "adventure" excursion. I think the sail boat racing excursion at St. Thomas looks great. Any feedback? What about the other boating excursions - any to avoid? And are these not the best if we are worried about sea sickness? Any other port/excursion feedback would be much appreciated!

On our last cruise we left the "disco" several times around midnight and they were still going strong. Many of our friends are party people, they've never complained of the gangways being rolled up too early.

I find Celebrity to be in the middle of the major cruise lines in terms of its clientele. They are not the young partiers, and they are not the septegenarians. I took my secretary and paralegal, aged mid-30s to early 40s, on a Summit cruise last fall. They danced the night away, while I snuggled up with a good book and went to bed early each night. I found the morning set at the gym, while they slept it off until 10 am. Something for everybody.

If you are interested in a traditional cruise experience with a modest amount of planned shipboard activities (i.e. you are going to make your own fun on board part of the time), then you should be happy. If you want the cruise director and crew to have something of interest for you to do every hour of every day, you are likely to be disappointed.

The food and ambiance of a Celebrity cruise are upscale. You will feel special. But you won't party till dawn.

What kind of stateroom have you booked? I think that can make a big difference if you are hoping for a special vacation to celebrate your anni.

Vanessa

Archived