is it safe to snorkel with Moray eels in Coral Gardens

Iceman-007

Is it safe to snorkel with Moray eels in Coral Gardens, aren't they dangerous, has anyone ever been bitten by one snorkelling.

I am thinking of doing the nativeways tour that goes to sting ray city and coral gardens and rum point but I am afraid of getting a severe bite by a moray eel. Also do dangerous sharks ever swim in the snorkel area as I am also a bit afraid of sharks snorkeling

You're telling me that a guy named Iceman-007 is afraid of eels and sharks? Give me a break.;)

Seriously, the Moray Eels at Coral Gardens are harmless. They are used to being bated out of their hiding spots with food from tour guides. They then swim after the food out in the open for snorkelers to see. The guides will hold them, and are not bitten. Then the eels go back in hiding. The only shark I saw was a nurse shark that is harmless also. They similarly hide in the reef, only to be bated out. Nurse sharks do not attack people.

I would be more concerned about the current at Coral Gardens. When we were there it was quite strong and you drifted quickly away from the boat and it was very dif. to swim against the current back to the boat. It was not pleasant... spent most of the time trying to swim back. When they dropped the life ring into the water it immediately went straight out. It may change from day to day though so I would still get int he water but I would be very careful.

Is it safe to snorkel with Moray eels in Coral Gardens, aren't they dangerous, has anyone ever been bitten by one snorkelling.

I am thinking of doing the nativeways tour that goes to sting ray city and coral gardens and rum point but I am afraid of getting a severe bite by a moray eel. Also do dangerous sharks ever swim in the snorkel area as I am also a bit afraid of sharks snorkeling

Don't swim around with a squid in your mouth and you should be just fine.

I too was a bit hesitant when I first saw them, but then after a few minutes I was so excited that I got even closer to the guide. Seeing these creatures up close was very exciting. I know they are still wild animals and are use to seeing snorkelers, but I didnt want to get too close. The guide baited the Nurse Shark out and it followed him around for the squid. Being that close to a shark was abit nerve wracking, but after you knew there was no danger, it was awesome. This tour is one that you should try when your there becuase if you dont, you may wish you did later. We did it twice and if we get back to GC, I think we may do it again too... : )

Heck, when I go scuba diving I seek out Morays! They're really quite harmless (they look mean because they have to open their mouth to breath and they've got one set of nasty looking teeth). I've taken many pictures a foot to 6 inches away from a moray (assuming they let me get that close and of course if they seem to not like me taking their picture I back off) and generally they come out to pose. Don't worry about them but do keep in mind that they are "wild" animals so don't just grab one and wrap it around your neck but getting close should be no problem.

Randall

Archived