Excursions- Prices -What to Do?

newcruisingmama

The more I read about excursions the more confused I get about what I want to do. Anyone know about the price of Misty Fjords float plane tour? We can't do two high priced excursions. How does the price of this compare with the heli tour of the glacier in Juneau, which is more worth the cost? Are there less expensive excursions we should consider that are very worthwhile. We are considering zipping in Juneau or Ketchican, whale watching in Juneau, White Pass Rail, Bus, bike in Skagway. How do I find prices for all these things? Would most definitely appreciate any advice!.... This is our first cruise and I'm working at figuring out how all this works!

When are you going? If it's this season, your cruiseline will list the excursions available along with the prices. For independent vendors, Misty Fjords flightseeing is $209/pp with Island Wings, a helicopter glacier landing is $192 in Juneau with Coastal, whale watching with Capt. Larry is ~ $114, and the White Pass train to the summit and back is just under $100. Similar excursions booked through your cruiseline will cost more.

Click "pre-request tours" at top right of NCL Excursion page. The prices are on the order form.

Seems very awkward to look at the tours but no pricing then have to click the order form.

Good Luck! It will be a wonderful trip!

I book my tours by using this site and searching the web...i find that u get the best deals not booking through the ship...u can do exactly what u want to do and we were also able to keep the price down...in Ketchian we did the floatplane with michelle (she is great)...got her name from this site and went to her website (island wings)...had everything set in place..when we arrived her assistant was there to pick us up...one of the best tours we did...also in skagway...we booked ourselves with chilkoot tours...did the train and bus tour to the yukon....it was also great...the tour guide stopped many times for pics....this was a 7 hour tour and she made every effort to get us back on time...well worth what it cost.:D

Thanks for the info. on prices. Can't seem to find prices on NCL website.

If it is for this year (2007 excursion prices are not available yet but you can get an idea on what they will cost), http://164.109.173.140/shorex/ak/2006/order_forms.htm

Then click on the date and it will bring up a PDF file, scroll down about 3 or 4 pages and you will see the prices for each excursion.

If you have kids, I'd recommend renting a car in Skagway, driving to Emerald Lake with stops at Caribou Crossing (wheeled dog-sled ride, museum, great gift shop) and the guy who has eagles you can visit. The drive is just beautiful, Cruise Critic member Yukon has a great road guide you can print out, you can go at your own pace, and there's lots to interest kids. We did this trip in August with our 4YO, 7YO, and 12YO, renting a van from Avis for ~$80 ($150 after taxes and insurance). We got to stop whenever we saw something interesting, like the highlight of our entire trip - a black bear eating raspberries not 20' off the road. We watched him for at least 20 minutes and would have stayed longer but we had to get the our reserved dogsled ride in Caribou Crossing. (The shorter dogsled ride doesn't require reservations, but the longer one does and cost about $250 for all 5 of us). The kids also loved playing with the sled dog puppies while we waited for our ride. On the way back we stopped at the eagle guy's place (sorry, I can't recall the name right now, but he's included in Yukon's guide), where we paid $20 for all of us to visit with his bald eagles (one mature, two immature) and golden eagles (only 13 weeks old, but already huge and gorgeous). He cares for injured bald eagles that could not survive in the wild, and had a permit from a wildlife agency to remove excess golden eagle chicks from their nests (as the first chick to move kills the others). The total cost for a fun, full day was about $420 for 2 adults and 3 children. Such a great time! Keep in mind that you'll need passports/birth certificates as you'll pass into Canada, and the time also changes forward one hour at the Canada border.

Archived