QE2 Land Of The Midnight Sun

spinnaker

I am keen to know if anyone has any experience of dining in the Mauretania restaurant for this cruise, and whether the timing of meals means that you have to miss some of the breathtaking scenery which is the main reason for the cruise! (for me, anyway).

I would prefer not to have to stretch to Caronia prices but will if it means I'll get to see much more than in Mauretania. I notice that departure time most days is 5pm, so perhaps the later seating in Mauretania would solve the problem? Or would we then miss some stunning scenery later on?!!

I suppose it's impossible not to miss anything but I imagine that Cunard ensures all Grill / Caronia passengers miss the least possible!

Any thoughts much appreciated,

Spinnaker

I am keen to know if anyone has any experience of dining in the Mauretania restaurant for this cruise, and whether the timing of meals means that you have to miss some of the breathtaking scenery which is the main reason for the cruise! (for me, anyway).

I would prefer not to have to stretch to Caronia prices but will if it means I'll get to see much more than in Mauretania. I notice that departure time most days is 5pm, so perhaps the later seating in Mauretania would solve the problem? Or would we then miss some stunning scenery later on?!!

I suppose it's impossible not to miss anything but I imagine that Cunard ensures all Grill / Caronia passengers miss the least possible!

Spinnaker

You are right, second sitting is always best for sailaways, and the Mauritania restaurant has the best sea views as it is the width of the ship with large windows both sides, the only advantage in the grill is that you can go to dinner anytime you want between 7 and 9pm.

If there is anything especially exciting to see and you miss dinner there is always the Lido. or room service, don't miss those views!

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Have you been on this cruise? Will we miss some amazing views even if we opt for late sitting, e.g. "passing the not to be missed waterfalls of XYZ at 9.15pm" etc. Is the only way to guarantee not missing at least some stunning scenery to travel Caronia grade or above?

Matt.

On our QE2 cruise in August most of the dining room patrons (and staff) went out on deck to see the volcano Mount Stromboli (Italy) errupt during dinner. It was fun and no body seemed to mind. Maybe just ask for a table by the window.

That sounds amazing whylion. Great timing!

Can you request the location of your table? Is it guaranteed if you book early enough?

Am concerned that in Mauretania we would still have a narrow time slot for dinner so might miss some of the stunning scenery which we would get to see if we opted for Caronia, but perhaps I'm worrying over nothing...

I am keen to know if anyone has any experience of dining in the Mauretania restaurant for this cruise, and whether the timing of meals means that you have to miss some of the breathtaking scenery

A long time ago (1993!) we did that cruise and ate in the Mauretania Restaurant. We were on the late sitting and found that the only time we missed dinner was the night we were at the North Cape and were away from the ship on a tour when dinner was served. We had something from room service before we went and then had a good meal from the Midnight Buffet when we got back(It was a lot better then than now unfortunately) so we didn't really miss the fact we'd not been on the ship for dinner.

pnhmrk - thank you for the info re. Mauretania dining on this cruise.

Am mildly alarmed to read your words re the midnight buffet. The only time I've cruised previously was also in 1993 when I did 2 TA crossings - and I vividly remember the excellent midnight buffets which were a real highlight ( I was really looking forward to enjoying them again ). Have they really gone downhill since then? What's changed? I'd still like to do this cruise, but at least I'll be able to lower my expectations appropriately...

pnhmrk - thank you for the info re. Mauretania dining on this cruise.

Am mildly alarmed to read your words re the midnight buffet. The only time I've cruised previously was also in 1993 when I did 2 TA crossings - and I vividly remember the excellent midnight buffets which were a real highlight ( I was really looking forward to enjoying them again ). Have they really gone downhill since then? What's changed? I'd still like to do this cruise, but at least I'll be able to lower my expectations appropriately...

The easiest change to mention is that they are no longer in the Columbia Restaurant. They're in the Lido, think self service café and you'd not be too far off. The quantity and variety of food available has been reduced; the number of ice sculptures has been reduced, they're now dyed bright red or green rather than the natural ice shade; the atmosphere at the buffet is nothing like as nice.

Those all seem fairly insignificant points. When you think that, on our first cruise in May 1992, we went to the buffet every night and we now go once or twice a trip something has happened to make us change.

Watch out for their Gala Midnight Buffets, there are one or two per trip. Although still not as grand as they were in the early 90's they have a much greater resemblance to what we first knew.

Do you remember the joke that the Pursers used to tell about passengers asking "What time does the Midnight Buffet start?" - Now it really is 11-30pm:(

The Mauretania is fine for scenery on this cruise, but don't worry if you miss 'a view' there will be another just as good, or better, along in a minute.

The Midnight Buffetts are certainly not what they were, and they are now at 11.30p.m. but they do have a Gala Buffett towards the end of the cruise which gives just an idea of what it used to be like. However it is still more than adequate.

JUST RECEIVED OUR TICKETS FOR OUR OCTOBER CRUISE. HAVE TO GET THE SUITCASES OUT SOON.:D

Thanks for the info. Am suitably forewarned!

Has the standard of dining generally gone downhill too? We were in the Mauretania restaurant sailing to NY and lucky enough to be upgraded to Caronia for the return leg - both were excellent.

Are they still just as good as they were in those days? Do you still get as many courses etc?

I don't mean to knock the QE2 - I'm sure I will love her just as much as I did then - I just want to know what I'm walking into re the cuisine!

Thanks,

Matt

Has the standard of dining generally gone downhill too?

I think so, although I can't comment on the standards of the Mauretania recently.

Do you still get as many courses etc?

They don't offer a sorbet any more:( (Not eating that was my one concession to my weight when onboard!)

I don't mean to knock the QE2 - I'm sure I will love her just as much as I did then - I just want to know what I'm walking into re the cuisine!

I don't think that you'll notice a big difference. What they have done for the most part is make cuts where food or whatever was just being wasted, there is still as much as you can manage available albeit more "tightly" controlled.

I don't think that you'll notice a big difference. What they have done for the most part is make cuts where food or whatever was just being wasted, there is still as much as you can manage available albeit more "tightly" controlled.

Which is probably not a bad thing. I found on my last cruise - on HAL - that the portions were not huge but you ended up eating three balanced meals where you always walked away feeling you just ate enough. The old stereotypes of people overdoing it on cruises seem to be going by the wayside as people are eating less or healthier and the cruiselines are cutting back to avoid having excess wasteage. One thing you will likely never feel is never having enough though.

David

One place that the cuts are noticeable is in the lack of a band to play you out - see the comments in the other thread.

I found on my last cruise - on HAL - that the portions were not huge but you ended up eating three balanced meals where you always walked away feeling you just ate enough.

You'll find Cunard very different - the portions are large and if you want extra there's always a Steward who'll bring you something if you ask (sometimes you don't even have to ask!). Last December I put on over 14lb in 16 days. I was so bad by the end that I'd almost no clothes that would fit.

Thanks all for info.

Does anyone know if there are shore excursions for the ports of call - Stavanger; Hellesylt; Geiranger; Aalesund; Trondheim; Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen; North Cape (from Skarsvag); Flaam; Bergen - and if so, are they worth it?

Or does anyone have any 'must see' recommendations? (such as the train ride at Flaam - the only one I've found out so far and sounds fantastic!)

Matt

Does anyone have any 'must see' recommendations? (such as the train ride at Flaam - the only one I've found out so far and sounds fantastic!)

The only tour you can't do on your own is the trip to the North Cape - you tender ashore to a bus that takes you to the cape and brings you back. If you're not on the tour then there's no bus (or at least there wasn't when we went). I'm not a great one for organised tours but would certainly recommend that one (When we were there we had very good weather, what it's like in thick cloud or rain I don't know). If you were to book this tour so that you were on the cape at midnight it would solve your problem over dinner - you'd have o book it immediately once onboard to stand a chance of getting that as a tour time.

You're better doing the Flaam train under your own steam - go to the base station and buy a return ticket - don't forget your camera as there are some fantastic views of the ship both on the way up and from the top.

For other ports buy guidebooks, decide what you want to see and then make your arrangements not involving Cunard. It's more fun, Cheaper and you get to see more.

Alesund is very interesting for walking around- you don't even need a shuttle as the ship is in a central location. We went to the aquarium on a city bus, although Cunard offers a tour. It was a nice aquarium, but nothing incredible. We enjoyed the small decorative arts museum that is in the main square very near where you get off the ship.

Trondheim has a beautiful cathedral and an interesting museum next door. It is fun to walk around in.

Bergen has a wonderful market that you shouldn't miss -- very near the Cunard drop off point. Also there's a fun funicular ride to the top of a look out -- near the market. And there's some kind of restored warehouse area that has been made into shops for trolls and sweaters that we enjoyed.

Have fun!

One place that the cuts are noticeable is in the lack of a band to play you out - see the comments in the other thread.

You'll find Cunard very different - the portions are large and if you want extra there's always a Steward who'll bring you something if you ask (sometimes you don't even have to ask!). Last December I put on over 14lb in 16 days. I was so bad by the end that I'd almost no clothes that would fit.

Do you really want a brass band playing while eating dinner?:D

Gee thanks about the large portions! I had to buy a tux one size up as my size now seemed to have been a bit tight when I went to the first fitting and I didn't want a tux that I couldn't wear in three months time - and it'll have to last to at least August 2007 for my next cruise. So......I'll have to jog around the QM2 many, many times to keep my waste down. Thank goodness, its such a large ship. If its the same on the QE2 I'll just have to swim back to North America to lose the weight.:)

David

Please do the train trip at Flaam, but do it independently, unless you are desperate for a small sticky bun and equally small cup of strong coffee to be included. I beleive this is the steepest FRICTION track in the world and not to be missed, be ready for the stop by a waterfall where you can get out to take photos, you could get wet.

As far as the food on QE2 is concerned it is still excellent and I defy anyone to eat all that is on offer.

Enjoyed everything but Flaam was the highlight of our trip.

Thanks all for the info.

Flaam train is definitely a must - will book independently (and forego sticky bun & coffee!) and be prepared for the waterfall!

Aalesund, Trondheim & Bergen sound like it's not necessary to book any tours - the arts museum, cathedral and market sound like fun. Will aim to take in Bergen's fenicular & troll warehouse too!

Will book Cunard's North Cape tour - thanks for the heads-up on booking the midnight slot early but by the look of the itinerary we sail from Skarsvag at 17.00 so not sure it's possible?

Really glad to hear food is still excellent and plentiful - it was a real highlight last time.

Will book Cunard's North Cape tour - thanks for the heads-up on booking the midnight slot early but by the look of the itinerary we sail from Skarsvag at 17.00 so not sure it's possible?

We didn't sail until 3 or 4 in the morning - you must be visiting the cape during the day - so the problem of a midnight booking doesn't arise. (Never mind, at least you can have dinner in comfort:) ).

Don't miss being on deck, in the early hours of the morning, whilst you're inside the Arctic Circle. It's cold, but if you've never seen the midnight sun before then it's surreal.

Will do - sounds fantastic.

You say it will be cold - will we need full winter attire? No idea what the temperature is likely to be that far north in the summer.

Also, will we need full summer attire for the southern Norway section of the trip or does it never really get warm?

You say it will be cold - will we need full winter attire? No idea what the temperature is likely to be that far north in the summer.

Also, will we need full summer attire for the southern Norway section of the trip or does it never really get warm?

So much depends on the local conditions - I've done that trip twice, the first time it was blue skys and sunshine all the way, the second it poured down most of the time. The only advice I could offer is to be prepared - shorts are possible during the day in places like Bergen or Trondheim, if you're on deck, at 4-00 am, in the Arctic Circle you'll need something warmer! To give an example my mother wore an ankle length fur coat over her evening dress, whilst my father and I wore thick woollies over our dress shirts and under our jackets and then our winter coats on top of that. We then all got blankets from a steward and still weren't too warm!

Thanks for this thread, I am looking at this one for next year as well, along with the previous one to iceland (not doing both, do one or the other:D )

Does any one know the 'ice levels' in June, for either cruise (particularly in Iceland)- I had a nasty fall on ice a few years back and am now extremely nervous about walking on it, but would really like to go. Is there likely to be any?

Thanks

Karen

Can anyone please tell me whether there are plenty of activities arranged for the sea days (5) - my only previous experience of the QE2 was trans-Atlantic and there were lots of things to do, interesting speakers, guest celebrities etc. but not sure whether this was just because we weren't going to see land again for 5 days! Also, it was 13 years ago so things might well have changed considerably...

Archived