Soveriegn Of The Seas- Just Back 9/1 - Review

I really don't have any complaints. This was me and DBF's first cruise and we had a ball. The carpets looked just fine to me and the mold in our bathroom was minimal. I guess we weren't paying much attention. It was ALWAYS cold in our room so as far as the A/C not working I have to disagree as far as cabin 2030 was concerned.

I'm actually still in Orlando at the hotel. Our flight leaves tomorrow. When I get home I'll write my full review. I booked a cruise on the Enchantment for January while onboard.

Talk to you guys when I get home.

we just returned in july from SOS and are going in Oct. and June 07 and we stay in a JS and have yet to find mold in our Cabn(not saying any one else is fibbing just adding what we found)carpets were nice and they had new comforters and pillows.Was very nice the only problem was an occasional sewer smell nothing major and small problem with the air,usually it is very cold in the cabin at night which is what we like but was warm but did not affect our sleeping.I am sorry you encountered some problems.

I really don't have any complaints. This was me and DBF's first cruise and we had a ball. The carpets looked just fine to me and the mold in our bathroom was minimal. I guess we weren't paying much attention. It was ALWAYS cold in our room so as far as the A/C not working I have to disagree as far as cabin 2030 was concerned.

I'm actually still in Orlando at the hotel. Our flight leaves tomorrow. When I get home I'll write my full review. I booked a cruise on the Enchantment for January while onboard.

Talk to you guys when I get home.

i haven't done the on-board booking yet, but plan to do it this time. I am curious as to how it works. Do you get on-board credit or a reduction in price? Do you have to book an exact date and ship? Thanks!!

i haven't done the on-board booking yet, but plan to do it this time. I am curious as to how it works. Do you get on-board credit or a reduction in price? Do you have to book an exact date and ship? Thanks!!
You receive an onboard credit for that cruise that you are booking.

You must book an exact date, ship and cabin, but you can change that later and still keep the OBC as long as you don't CANCEL, but re-book using the same booking number that you received while onboard.

Ok Here We Go.

DH and I arrived at Port Canaveral about 11:30 am. Was through with check in and in the windjammer by 12:15. LUnch was very good. Waitstaff in the Windjammer was very very nice. Exactly 1pm we got to go to our room. Cabin 5089. Handicap accessible. Upon entering the room we noticed the new bedding. Very nice (took pics for you and will post them) however, when sitting on the beds, they were hard as rocks. Went to check the bathroom and found heavy mold on both shower tiled walls. Not horribly bad if you can stand up to shower but anyone who must use a shower seat would have their face right in it. Very gross.

Dinner in Illusions that night. Every one was VERY casual. tshirts, shorts, flip flops, etc. Requested a small table but got seated at a 10 top. All was well as our tablemates consisted of 3 couples that are in the Army Reserves and just returned from Afganistan. A Honeymoon couple and a very nice man who was traveling solo from Ct.

Now for Service. The headwaiter came over once the first night, never saw her again. Main Waiter did what was minimally required. Nothing More. The first evening she asked who had any celebrations. The single man had a birthday, one couple was honeymooning and another had an anniversary. She wrote these down I assumed, and said she would think up something special to help celebrate, but never did anything about them as promised. I reminded her of the single gentlemans birthday and she had to ask me his name. She had not even remembered them. SO the food was good , service mediocre.

Went to room to change and met our attendant Dirkson. he was sweating horribly and said he would get someone to check our air, ..it never was fixed., We sweltered the entire time.

That night we went to karaoke in Boleros. They had a contest going and it was fun to see some really good singers. Problem was they were going by how accuratly you kept to thr machine, not anything to do with how you sing. This put several very bad singers in the lead of the contest. After many people left the rooms, we followed. Skipping the finale on Thursday knowing what the *talent* would be (heehee)

NO bed turn down, No towel animal. Hardly any a/c. Room was very hot.

Day 2 - At Sea

Our itinerary was shuffled due to Ernesto so we enjoyed a leisurely day at sea. Went to work out in the fitness rooms. They are good but if you are a fitness buff like my husband, He complained the free weights only went up to 50 lbs. I found the fitness center very nice. Had breakfast at windjammer every day, was same as anywhere else, eggs, bacon, sausage , pancakes, pastries, yogurt, fruit, etc. We did not find the coffee too strong.

There were alot of children on the ship not being watched, they tended to take over both pools, even the adult and the hottubs. Even at night when it was finally cool enough to be outside. SO we didnt hit the pool much.

Dinner that night was formal night. I counted 3 tuxedos. Most had a suit or jacket and tie. Women for the most part wore short skimpy strapless or spaghetti strapped coctail dresses, a few had on very pretty sparklie shirts or the what not. Definetly NOT ballgowns. At least not in our first seating.

Chocolate buffet was this night and it was beautiful!.They had ice sculptures, things made of butter and parmesean cheese. Truly stunning. Took lots of pics, and a few items then we went back to our room for a treat before bed. Had bed turned down, mold still there in bathroom, towel animal was a dog. Never saw the attendant the rest of the cruise. A/c still blowing a whisper above lukewarm.

Day 3 Nassau

We got up early to DH's dismay, and had breakfast in the windjammer. Was off the boat by 8:30 am knowing it was going to be sweltering hot. We took a air conditioned van for $27p/p on a 2-3 hour tour around Nassau. Sam was our tour driver and was very informative. Told us all about their culture and way of life. The Island is being overrun by dogs. He took us through the slums, and showed us every day lives for many and the dogs were crawling the streets, malnourished, diseased and had their ribs showing, hair missing etc. Right next to us one was hit by a fast car. Didn't need to see that one. The best was Atlantis. Gorgeous place. Had a good hour there to explore and look around . Then we could either go to cabbage beach or shopping. We went shopping. DH got some good cigars (that customs never even checked). I went to Del Sol and bought some great change color in the sun gifts for my family for christmas. By that time it was horribly hot so we made it back to the ship.

Too hot for lunch, showered then napped. Dinner in the Dining room. Service the same as usual. Name that tune was in Schooner Lounge , then we went to the Love and Marriage game show. It was hilarious. Chris was our Cruise Guide and was awesome. Next on to Dueling Pianos where we didnt want to leave ! Great show. Not to be missed.

That night was the caribbean buffet by the pool at midnight. It was ok. Nothing to stay up for next time. Off to bed at 1 am ...Back in the room the Towel Bunny was begging for some cool air.... we were sorry we couldn't help her. NO sign of Dirkson that day. No Ice in Bucket. Mold still in shower (guess they never heard of bleach)

Day 4 Coco Cay

Our favorite day by far. Tendered to the island about 9 am. Had 3 hours of cool breezy sun before the rainstorm came. Many left after that but we waited it out. Glad we did. We spent the day snorkeling and enjoying the friendly people in the water. They sunk a ship bow and a few war planes. The fishes around these were amazingly colorful. Blue and yellow, some striped. The island was lovely, but it was not blue at all. Green and quite mirky mostly until you got out deep. We both decided we could live here and be quite content. :)

We were so sunburned and wiped out from snorkeling we decided to eat dinner in the windjammer (glad we did) they had a wonderful buffet, service was always excellent and we loved the view. Back to the room for some tv.. and DH fell asleep. I sat up sweating for a few hours , packed the bags , made out the tips (yes I still tipped even though service was not worth much) , went down to the guest relations and handed them the envelopes for the waitstaff, since we weren't at dinner,and finally turned in. Sat up a few more hours ,NO attendant came by, no towel animal, no fresh towels , mold still in bathroom, room still hot. Too tired to care tonight.

Disembarkation

Up at 6:30 had a light breakfast in Windjammer then headed to the 4th floor to wait in line with our luggage. We chose to self disembark. Best choice! Customs didint even look in our bags. Spent 2 minutes with us and wished us a good day. We were in our car and on our way home by 8 am.

Overview and some normally asked questions:

We did not smuggle any alcohol but did hear of a few who had. We can easily see how. Noone checked any water bottles/soda bottles in carry ons . They just stuck all through a xray machine and smiled. We had a bottle of diet coke I had forogtten i had put in there and they never even asked to see any of it. Several ahead of me brought on cases of water and soda.

Overall we had a good time. Was very hot. Even going from room to room we noticed the change in the temperatures. SOme nice and cool. others warm and musty. The stateroom was unaceptable but noone did anything, the ship was full. The mold was disgusting. Room service took an hour at least to bring anything. Very limited menu after 9 pm. We took the best and saw what we wanted to. Met a few very nice couples and SASY!. *smooches to Sasy*. From the boards here. Hope to cruise with You soon girl!

We already had a November booking for Majesty of the seas. After this cruise Im very hesitant to keep it. I called and told them my findings on the ship and was given a 200.00 voucher for my next one.(and a promise to fix the air and mold before the next ppl use the stateroom) I will give it a try and see if its better. But overall, after reading all the wonderful reviews of this ship., it definetly wasnt what we were expecting. If the air had been working Im sure we would of enjoyed it much more. oh! and.....there was no sewer smell we noticed.

Ok, here goes our review.....

Got off to a great start, spent Sunday in Cocoa Beach...Disapointed about the shuttle, but it's for the best. Monday we arrived at the pier about 11:15.. were onboard about 11:45. Put luggage by the pool and ate at Windjammer. To rooms by 1:00 .

1. Service of stateroom.. Only saw "Mario: once. had to leave him notes like for wine glasses, clean towels, ice. If I had to point him out I doubt I could. Seemed like an impostion to even get an extra laundry bag.

2. Service in the dining room... rather bland and boring. :Gabriel" was our waiter.. kind of pushy. Never got the assistant waiters name. she was cute, but disappeared often, except to bring bread.

3. food overall was ok, nothing spectacular. Baked alaska?? Neopolitin ice cream and pound cake with whipped cream.

4. Generally formal night in our dining room.. early seating.. a few tuxs, but mostly suits for men, and church attire for the woman. One man had a tux all nights.

My suggestion would be to do away totally with the idea of prepaid gratuities. If people had to work for their tips we might get better service. I hate to knock the old girl as I've been raving about her for a long time, but she really needs to improve on customer service.

5. Crown and Anchor.. what a joke. We were supposed to get Johnny Rocket certificates in our stateroom.. I asked everyday, but no ever came. the other couple told us about the welcome back party on Thursday. We never got the card inviting us, and this was out 4th cruise with C&A.

On a postive note...

we posted a magnetic sign on our door for our anniversary, and got some wonderful thoughts.

the friends we made on this site will be remembered for a lifetime. The people on the cruise were wonderful and found a way to make their vacation happen.

Southern Diva... I will NEVER forget Quest!!

and to you Fiesty...... my heart will go on, even with the loss at Karaoke.. YOU GRIL CAN SING!!!

any questions.. or want pictures (I have 400 of them!) email me at

sasysutler@aol.com.

hugs to all

sasy

Wow. I was on this same cruise and it is amazing the different experience we had.

Our room was spotless and every time I was in the hall I saw our stewardess. She couldn't do enough for us... always asking if there was anything else we needed. We were in an inside cabin on deck five... 5595. She kept our ice bucket full with refills at least twice a day... made the best towel animals I ever saw, supplied extra towels, did I say she was amazing??? The best steward since our first cruise. Her name was Marlee and if any of you get her... you'll be so lucky!

Our room was ICE cold. Had to keep the air conditioning turned down. I thought the new bedding was hard also but nice for snuggling under. We like to sleep cold with blankets so it was perfect.

Our wait staff was equally great. We had a table for two and they were always there to make certain everything we got we loved and always calling us by name. I just couldn't eat all my dinner one night (way toooo much food) and they kept wanting to bring me another selection because they were sure I wasn't eating because it wasn't good. Another night when they saw how much I loved the escargot they kept bringing me servings till I had to beg them to stop which they did after three! One night we didn't make it to dinner and they all came over even before we had a chance to sit down to tell us how much we were missed. The team was "Sayno" the assistant waiter from Indonesia and Suad the waiter from Croatia. Our head waiter was not around much..... Just brought extra bread. But he was worth his tip because I saw him stick up for his staff.

We had family who was also in our waiter's station who came in 30 minutes late the first night. The second night they showed up 50 minutes late. This makes the waiters jobs unbelieveably difficult. The head waiter went over and told them they would not be served and if they preferred to come in that late he would see them moved to the second seating. Good man! It was hard for me to believe that a group could be so uncaring about the people they work hard to serve them. After that I was happy to provide the head waiter his tip. Without a good head waiter the staff can't do their job well.

We got off the ship briefly in Nassau but quickly got back on because it was so hot. Thunderstorms kept us happily reading in our deck chairs at Coco Cay. We needed the cruise to unwind and it was great for that.

Saw the love and marriage game and were at Karaoke two nights. It was nice to see someone from Georgia win the love and marriage! I was a little disappointed in the dueling pianos because the last time we were on Sovereign I thought it was better but it was still very good entertainment. We like the rock and roll show also.

We did get and invitation and attend the Crown and Anchor reception on Thursday afternoon. I believe that the reception is only for those Platinium and Diamond members. You have to have at least five completed cruises with RCCL to get an invitation... It was okay and at least gave an opportunity for a free drink. If you didn't get an invitation, you really don't miss much. We didn't stay long.

I was so disappointed when I got the coupon book not to see a coupon there from Johnny Rockets. So when I went to the front desk to put the tips on my sea pass card I asked about it. They told me to see the crown and anchor woman upstairs. Went up and asked her and she gave me two. Said that they had just been delivered to the ship the previous day at Nassau. She apologized up and down. Hey, these things happen. I knew that if they were discontinuing these coupons I would have read about it here first.

By the time we got them there really wasn't much time to use those coupons but I was determined to eat that Oreo dessert there so we went there at about nine o'clock on the last night. We hadn't eaten dessert in the dining room so we would have some room. There was practically no one in either the windjammer and no one at all at Johnny Rockets. We went in, they brought hot french fries and onion rings and we ordered the Oreo dessert. After the dessert came they all put on a little dance show just for us! Six of them dancing... we were laughing and it was the perfect end to a wonderful, relaxing cruise.

We used self disembarking for the first time. I set the alarm for six a.m. so we could watch the sun come up. Went to the upper deck for viewing, then back to the room to pack. We walked off the ship as soon as we were done and by 8:30 we were seated at Grills and ordering a seafood omlette to split. It was wonderful as usual and kept us full so we were able to drive home without stopping to eat. Made it from the Port to our front door 50 miles north of Atlanta in just eight hours!

I tried to find the cruise critic group after the lifeboat drill but wasn't able to see anyone with blue leis. Did meet sasy and her hubby in the hall briefly just before the doors opened to let us to our cabins. They had great tee-shirts on!

I think this points out the HUGE difference that good cabin attendants and wait staff can make in a cruise. We wouldn't have changed a thing about our crusie and we felt constantly pampered and waited on. This was our third time on Sovereign and I would go again in second. Especially if I could have Marlee, Sayno and Suad around to make the trip nothing short of wonderful! The cruise ship gods must have been smiling on us.

gail

you're so right about the differences in opinions. Hithere.. we were right down the hall and wish we had been near you. All in all it was a good vacation, just I guess our expectations were from the past cruises on S.O.S. t was funny, I pulled out our old compass and found that the shows were the same! flashback and dancing through the movies. the name of the lounges were different though for voltage and boleros.

maybe we all need to pick a cruise and all go again together!

Ok Here We Go.

DH and I arrived at Port Canaveral about 11:30 am. Was through with check in and in the windjammer by 12:15. LUnch was very good. Waitstaff in the Windjammer was very very nice. Exactly 1pm we got to go to our room. Cabin 5089. Handicap accessible. Upon entering the room we noticed the new bedding. Very nice (took pics for you and will post them).

If you have any photos of the room we would love to see them we will be on the 10/23 sailing and would like to have some idea as to what those rooms look like.

Hithere,

Thanks for the positive report. I am taking my 16 year old niece on her first cruise on the 29th of September. I want it to be just perfect for her. (Maybe I should put some X14 in my bag just in case we have mold in the shower!)

Tracy

Just back also. short family vacation, 7 adults and 4 kids with three cabins.

Great Cruise, The ship was in great shape for it's age. The crew was attentive and certainly focused on service all around. The food was good, typical RCCL fare.

The Captain was personable and seen throughout the ship, he kept all informed..................He is now off the take over the Radiance.

Three Negatives to this cruise.

Chairhogs were all over the place and the pool attendants were no where to be found.

The people in the next cabin who had a loud party until 2 am the first night and then had the TV blaring until 4 am another night.

Rain at Coco Cay.

One differerent thing I noticed was that there was no entertainment by the waiters. No singing or parades during dinner. Anyone else notice that? I missed dinner one night so they could have done something that night.

The last night they had a sing-a-long by the elevators with the captain leading the singing. I thought it was wonderful when we all joined in the singing of America the Beautiful.

This ship doesn't have the glitz the voyager class ships have but it does have nice quiet places to sit and read. I had to chase four smokers away from the non smoking side. Actually, they paid zero attention to me until some of the others in the chairs chimed in also. Big signs up that say NO SMOKING and these idiots just laughed at the signs, stood by one and then lit up. Well, I wasn't going to sit quietly while they walked all over us. I said something and they just turned their backs to me. Then another couple spoke up and told them it wasn't the place to be. I was glad to see some support. They walked away when they saw they were outnumbered.

There was a really nice fellow doing late night pasta dishes in the windjammer. Smiling face and eyes that danced. He even left his post and went to the salad bar to get me mushrooms to cook in with my pasta.

I'm so sorry for those people who had poor service. I didn't meet anyone who was working there who wasn't super friendly. Every single employee I passed in the hallways wished me a good day with smile. Even the person who greeted us walking into the windjammer was smiling and singing. What a wonderful voice.

The only complaint I have is that when we got up early and went on the top deck to watch the sun come up the music was really jarring and very loud. It just didn't go with the time of day and quiet reflection. I can take rap or leave it but at 6 am it just seems a little out of place.;) Small thing since I walked way forward where I could escape it.

I hope all of you have my experience and have nothing but wonderful service. We sat with a nice couple one day at lunch and they said this ship was a disappointment to them but they would probably do it again for a quick get away since they lived in Rockledge. My dh and I only paid $220 each and for that price I think you have to go a long way to beat what we received. It isn't the Mariner but I didn't pay for the Mariner.

gail

well, i did bring a bottle of wine and a few small bottles of bacardi, but this one cracks me up. I stopped in the windjammer and packed a ziplock baggie of grapes, cheeses and meats just in case i got really hungry in coco cay. this baggie was in my plastic rci bag. ok. so it's raining, i stuff my clothes and everything in the bag and get back to the ship. Thurs night I packed our suitcases (can you see where this is going?) . Well when we got home I unpacked the suitcase and there was this smelly food! God help us if customs would have caught us! I was laughing so hard:o

all in all it was good, and I'm trying to rest up before work on tuesday.

stay in touch!

sherri

Hithere.....was the cute little indian guy at Johnny Rockets when you were there? He tried so hard to dance. The tall guy from Croatia???? was good! We had a ball watching them dance. We ate there twice and they must have danced five times!

I posted my review last week from the 8/21 sailing, yeah, I noticed a little bit of mold in the bathroom and thought, someone else would mention it.

It is interesting to see all the different reviews and opinions.

Sasysutler, things sound a little better for you and DH, can't wait to see the rest of your pictures. Will you let me know where and when they are posted??

Archived