Questions about Alexandria, Egypt

ChefPeg

Hi,

My DH and I have just booked a Med cruise and one of the ports is Alexandria. I am thrilled to see Egypt, I have always wanted to see the pyramids.

This is for those of you who have been to Alexandria before.

My questions are; is it possible to see the pyramids? Is it feasible from Alexandria?

I would like to also do some shopping. I am sailing on the Legend of the Seas in June next year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched the boards and they isn't all that much on Alexandria.

I have also posted this on the Africa/Europe boards. I would love to hear from anyone who has already been there.

Thank you for all your help,

Peggy

I'm going on this cruise in 9/07. I am desperately trying to get

information on this port also. I called RCI and the person I

talked to told me to check the excursion website later this year.

She was talking very vaguely and didn't give me much confidance

in what she was saying. I think this may be a new port for RCI.

Although it will be a long day there is enough time to see the

pyramids. It would be like a 4 hour trip each way but we're in port

for 15 hours so it is doable. This would be one trip I would take

as a ship's tour. Let me know if you get any info.

While the RCCI may not offer the same exact excursions when they become available, I've found that checking the excursions offered on other cruise lines to be a helpful guide until RCCI get thiers posted.

http://www.princess.com/shorex/shorexdisplay.jsp?resPortId=ALY&resTradeId=E&tempresTradeId=E&tempresPortId=ALY

HI Peggy

Alexandria isn't a main holiday destination - it's used mainly for ships docking with people wanting to go to Cairo. But try this link for info: http://ce.eng.usf.edu/pharos/alexandria/tourist/index.html

I've been to Egypt twice and DON'T miss the chance to go to Cairo especially if you're travelling such a long distance from the States. Yes, it's a long journey from Alexandria (3 to 4 hours each way), but it is an experience not to be missed. If you have the option, do a tour that includes the pyramids, sphinx and museum. A short cruise on the Nile is also nice, especially as you're greeted on board the paddle steamer by a red carpet and brass band. It's like something out of a Hercule Poirrot 'Death on the Nile' film!

You can't beat Cairo for shopping - no way! On any evening there are upwards of nearly 2 million people out in the huge souk/market.

If you DO go to the pyramids, DON'T do a camel ride there. You're badgered to go on a short trip around them, but I've seen the guides take the tourists money and then go in the opposite direction and only come back when the poor tourist gives more money. Also, be careful with photographs at the pyramids. There are lots of security and police there. They'll want to take your camera from you to photograph you besides the pyramid, but they then won't give you back your camera unless you give them money, and the young kids just run off with your camera. For some reason I've seen mostly Americans targetted for these scams - maybe us Europeans are more savvy to them! :)

Hi,

Thanks for all the info. I truly appreciate it.

I'll be sure to not let them take my camera. I figured there would be crowds, I don't like it but I can try to handle it.:eek:

Have a nice holiday weekend,

Peggy

• 4 months later...

I am going to Egypt in Feb '08. Watch out for the heat on your trips!! Anyway, for Christmas I received the National Geographic Egypt gude book and it is great!! I recommend it--even if you are doing only one port--gives you much of the history and current info about everything!

Archived