And the brass band played on.....

Mayor Kathie

We are soon to be on our favourite ship,the QE2.We have been fortunate enough to have sailed on her five times in the last three years,but only on the first sailing did we have a band at the quayside to see us off!Has anyone seen them since then or is this another small way of cutting costs.I just feel that the little things make such a difference.What do others think!

Counting the days now untill October 16th,and driving husband quite mad!!

Kathie:)

Hi Kathie,

It's an interesting question - on my 6 cruises on QE2 since 2001 I have never seen a brass band playing on the quay - yet having recently travelled on P & O's Arcadia there was a brass band on the quay!!

I too am counting the days until my next trip onboard which is on the Sep 13 US crossing & cruise to Canada. Not long to go now!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

No, never seen a band in recent times. Thanks for raising the question as I had almost forgotten that they used to do this. The only send off now seems to be fellow passengers conversing with family members/friends on the end of the quayside using their mobile phones. Noticed many crowded on the rail doing this recently.

In the past the rail would have been crowded with passengers watching/listening to the band. What a pity, a sign of the times I suppose.

John

:cool: :cool:

Over a span of 25+ years of cruising we have had our share of bands perform when leaving port. Probably the best and most recent was, last October, my wife and I were sailing onboard Princess’s, Diamond Princess. One of our ports was Nagasaki, Japan. There we had the pleasure of having a local high school band perform at our sail-away, for about ½ hour prior to our departure. As we sailed away they continued playing until we were out of their sound range. For those that have had experience with high school bands that can be quite a distance.

There was definitely a brass band the past January for the QE2 crossing to start the world cruise.

I wonder if that means Cunard only put on a band for their WC departure? If so then I wonder why they rate that more than their other voyages?:confused:

l to remember the days of the brass band send off. and how wonderful they were! Perhaps we should all start again and use the streamers like the olden days

To set sail from Southampton onboard QE2 for the start of a great cruise to utter silence is quite poor l would say, Even that dreadfull taped sailaway music would be better, and it would drown out the mobile phone ringing

cheers Myles

Im off the end of next month and positively counting the days

Archived