waitist for a higher category cabin

LOGHL

We are on a waitlist on a 09/07 cruise for a seven seas suite from a horizon suite, which we now have. Has any one ever been able to get on a waitlist cabin, & if so, how long before the cruise. I know this is a crapshoot, but would love some info, as this is the first time we haven't been able to get the cabin that we wanted.

You can check each day on the RSSC website under "My Cruises" and it should list your cabin number. I have never waitlisted for a specific cabin, so not sure your chances. However, we have had an aft cabin and really loved it. Enjoy your cruise!

Cheers, Pam

If you have a good TA then they will watch the availability for you. We asked for a mid-ship Cat E on the first leg of the 2007 WC and took a forward Cat F in the meantime. That was last Oct. A week ago our TA e-mailed to say that the exact stateroom we wanted was now available. That's what your TA is getting paid for!

• 2 weeks later...

I ditto what Doug says (we use the same great TA). On our WC we switched cabins about 4 times....each time improving location and price until we got exactly what we wanted (which is midship and low). Assuming you have a good TA, let him/her handle it for you.

• 3 weeks later...

For the 1st segment of the Mariner's world cruise in 2003 we were waitlisted for a penthouse A. We were assigned to a Seven Seas Aft suite on deck 9 -- a 2 category upgrade. RSSC has made a profit on this upgrade since we have become addicted to the large aft balconies on the Mariner and Voyager and we now pay full fare for Horizon suites (on the Mariner) or Seven Seas Aft suites (on the Mariner and Voyager).

If you are waiting for a Seven Seas Suite on the Mariner and currently have a Horizon suite on deck 8, 9, or 10, don't worry. IMHO, the Horizon suites on the Mariner are better than the Seven Seas Suites. The Seven Seas suites have an extra half bathroom and have a corner balcony; they also have mediocre closet space and a bedroom without direct access to fresh air. The Horizon Suites have huge closets and huge balconies that no one could could complain about. The only problem with any of these suites on the Mariner is that those on deck 7 have much smaller balconies.

On the Voyager, there is a huge difference between the Horizon and Seven Seas suites. The Horizon suites are simply standard suites with somewhat larger balconies. The Seven Seas Aft Suites are wonderful with floor-to-ceiling, bay windows and huge wrap-around terraces on decks 6 and 9. On deck 7, the wrap around balconies are smaller (we had one of our 2 deck chairs removed to make enough space for us to walk around) but still better than anything else on board.

• 1 month later...
How does a waitlist work? Don't you have to pay the difference between what you're assigned and what you're waitlisted for? It's not a free upgrade, as in a guarantee cabin is it?

Thanks!

You absolutely pay the difference because you are choosing the cabin; sames goes for if you are requesting a lesser cabin and it is confirmed.

A GTY is the choice of the cruise line for cabin assignment, not the passenger.

Caviargal,

I must be "missing the boat" here. Why don't you request the cabin you want at the time of booking? I don't get the "upgrade" unless you booked too late to get the one you want, so you are waitlisted for a cancel. Help me out here, please.

Thanks...

Gail

I've never waitlisted for a Higher priced cabin, just a lower priced one if I booked a cruise too late. Luckily, so far I we've cleared and we got the lower price. The only time I got an upgrade was once when we did a guarantee.

Sorry for my confusion. We were given a guarantee for a Penthouse A, not put on a waitlist. Therefore our upgrade to a Seven Seas Suite was free. Unfortunately, I had a temporary lapse of memory.

Caviargal,

I must be "missing the boat" here. Why don't you request the cabin you want at the time of booking? I don't get the "upgrade" unless you booked too late to get the one you want, so you are waitlisted for a cancel. Help me out here, please.

Thanks...

Gail

You can but a GTY offers the opportunity for an upgrade so many choose that path. I actually chose a GTY for my upcoming cruise as on Voyager it was a great value and there are no bad cabins.

You can but a GTY offers the opportunity for an upgrade so many choose that path. I actually chose a GTY for my upcoming cruise as on Voyager it was a great value and there are no bad cabins.

Me too. I was offered a GTY F grade which I accepted and paid for and was delighted to be allocated an upgrade to an Horizon suite. Caviargal is right, there are no bad cabins. You may have a preference for fore or aft, high or low but the quality and facilities do not vary. Have confidence in that.

Me too. I was offered a GTY F grade which I accepted and paid for and was delighted to be allocated an upgrade to an Horizon suite. Caviargal is right, there are no bad cabins. You may have a preference for fore or aft, high or low but the quality and facilities do not vary. Have confidence in that.

The stern cabins are my all time favorites and there are still some available for our sailing. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we get lucky:).

The stern cabins are my all time favorites and there are still some available for our sailing. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we get lucky:).

I hope you do too. I have just heard I've been lucky, upgraded from Horizon to Penthouse for the 11 Dec sailing. But I love the Horizon suites and will miss the big balcony.

I hope you do too. I have just heard I've been lucky, upgraded from Horizon to Penthouse for the 11 Dec sailing. But I love the Horizon suites and will miss the big balcony.

You seem to be leading a charmed life where RSSC is concerned:D.

I am still listed as a GTY under "My Cruises" so I will have to be patient and see what happens.

DH and I decided we wanted to go on Navigator in January or February. The specific category we wanted was sold out, except for the one week we couldn't go. So, we waitlisted for two cruises, and for two categories, and within less than a week, we cleared for exactly what we really wanted.

Archived