Free Soda for children on Legend?

Mikey86

Will be traveling on the Legend in August and have seen some posts mentioning that soda for children under 12 is free during dinner. But you need to let the waiters aware of this. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks.

Yes, children under 12 do get free soda with dinner in the dining room.

From Carnival's website:

What is the Fountain Fun Card? We will offer to all guests the option to purchase a "Fountain Fun Card" which will allow them unlimited soft drinks for the duration of the cruise at a one time purchase price (including gratuities). The "Fountain Fun Card" can be purchased at any bar on board the ship. In all locations where beverage service is offered, guests may receive a glass of the soft drink of their choice - one glass will be served at a time and only to the guest whose name appears on the card. The card cannot be used through room service.

NOTE: A 15% gratuity will automatically be added on at the time of purchase of the Fountain Fun Card.

Cost for guests under 18 = $4 per day

Cost for guests over 18 = $5.50 per day

Free soft drinks in the dining room for children under the age of 12 is still in effect whether they have purchased a "Fountain Fun Card" or not.

I've never heard of kid's getting free soda during dinner before. We always buy a soda card for our daughter and presented it the first night to the person taking the drink order and it worked for the entire cruise. There are no free sodas for adults.

Hill, go back up to CruiseMoms post and re-read Carnival's own 'words'. It's been this way for many years. I've heard of other folks saying their kids used the cards in the dining room, BUT they (like you) just wasted some $$.

Sure, the bar servers who come to the dining room might take the card and charge the soft drinks....somebody mentioned that a few days ago, but the waiter informed the bar server that 12 and under don't pay. YOU need to have been aware that it was not necessary, as well. Just gotta do your research. :)

Hill, go back up to CruiseMoms post and re-read Carnival's own 'words'. It's been this way for many years. I've heard of other folks saying their kids used the cards in the dining room, BUT they (like you) just wasted some $$.

Sure, the bar servers who come to the dining room might take the card and charge the soft drinks....somebody mentioned that a few days ago, but the waiter informed the bar server that 12 and under don't pay. YOU need to have been aware that it was not necessary, as well. Just gotta do your research. :)

I recently posted in a couple different threads about this, so Cotton may be referring to my postings. Yes, this in fact happened to us on the Celebration in March. Soda IS free for 12 & under at dinner, in the dining room. We had no problems getting these for our kids each night. 2nd or 3rd night of the cruise I mentioned it to our tablemates as an FYI so they tried it for their kids. The drink server attempted to have them "sign" the charges for the sodas upon delivery until I reminded her that sodas are free for 12 & under at dinner. She "had to go check" (even though she had been the one who had brought my own kids drinks !??! ) and then came back w/an "I'm sorry". No further problems getting sodas for the kids the remaining evenings.

Yep, Penny - yours is the post I was referring to. Sorry I couldn't remember who posted that. (Forgive me, I'm OLD!:D )

No problem, Cotton! Heck, my memory is so bad I sometimes read a thread and find a posting that sounds like one of my experiences and think "wow, that happened to us, too" only to read further (the signature) and find that it DID happen to us and was my own posting!!!!! :D

And in regards to being "old". I'm a therapist at a rehab hospital and a nice lady of 87 years old said this to me during therapy last month (she had broken her hip & had a hip replacement) and made me think about what is "old". I'll share it here today & hope it provides a smile. :)

Me: I had just complimented her on her great attitude during therapy, working so hard with me during painful transfers & mobility.

Her: "Well, I may be 87 years old, but I'm not done living yet."

Loved her attitude!

The carnival statement says under 12..not 12 and under. If your child is 13 you will have to buy a soda card - take your own soda- drinks whats availabe for free. (iced tea, lemonade, even choc milk)

No biggee, but wanted to point out soda or pop is not free on Disney. They charge just like other lines (except free in dining room for kids just like on CCL) & they also offer the soda cards for a price. You'd think with their HIGH prices they would offer free soda, huh! (What they do have for free is a 24-hour beverage station with lemonade, punch, tea, coffee, and milk)

Correct again, Penny.

My best friend took her two grandkids on a Disney cruise a coupla months ago, and bought the soda cards for them. She said just what you said:

The grandkids (8 & 10) had free Cokes in the dining room ONLY, but not adults, and used their cards the rest of the time. (She'd been on Carnival, as well, and said it's almost the same setup - lemonade, fruitpunch, tea, coffee, etc. on deck and casual dining areas).

Serene - Sorry, that was a typo. It IS "under 12".....:)

No biggee, but wanted to point out soda or pop is not free on Disney. They charge just like other lines (except free in dining room for kids just like on CCL) & they also offer the soda cards for a price. You'd think with their HIGH prices they would offer free soda, huh! (What they do have for free is a 24-hour beverage station with lemonade, punch, tea, coffee, and milk)

Soda is free on Disney - Disney started this policy in June.

I just checked out your link. Looks to me, after reading down a few of the replies that it's for AAA or CAA members ONLY, not for the masses who do not belong to those two groups.......:confused:

Oh Man! :o I'm sooooo embarrassed! And apologetic! Here I think I'm now a "veteran", having been on a couple of cruises, I go and get all "uppity" and answer a question about a ship I've been on, and what do they do? They go and change something on board, so now my answer is WRONG!!!!! Darn! Note to self: keep mouth, ummm fingers, quiet!

Please accept my apologies! ;) Looks like disney does have free soda now. :)

For the prices Disney charges for their cruises, the soda SHOULD be free. Or should I say included in the price of the cruise? ;) After working at Disney for 14 years (about 13 years ago), I've had enough Disney magic to last for a while longer without cruising with the mouse. :D Besides, we'd have to drink a lot of that free soda on Disney to make up the price difference.

Actually, if you re-read the post it says that the new benefits replace the complimentary soda program, which is now being offered to all guests 24 hours a day:

"Beginning June 12 on the Disney Magic® and June 13 on the Disney Wonder®, AAA/CAA Travel will receive a new member benefit. Clients who purchase a Disney Cruise will receive an onboard credit good toward merchandise, spa treatments, shore excursions and other onboard activities. This benefit replaces the complimentary soda program, which will now be available to all Guests at the 24-hour beverage station on Deck 9 Aft and during meal hours at Topsider Buffet/Beach Blanket Buffet.

Complimentary sodas will also be available on Castaway Cay at Cookie’s Bar-B-Q and the adult-only beach, Serenity Bay. Sodas will remain complimentary in full-service dining rooms."

I wish other lines would do this... but Carnival offers such reasonable rates, and I don't drink soda, so I would be miffed if my rates were raised over sodas..

Archived