formal night on 7 day new england/canada cruise?

musicmansmom

our first stop is boston, then portland and on too saint john n.b. we have a sea day and go to halifax. then it is another sea day back to new york. is the first formal night when we are docked in boston?? i hope not since i want to spend alot of time in boston and do the freedom trail and not be rushed back to the ship. can someone tell me if this is the 1st formal night for us.

I've never done a New England trip, but on my other trips the formal nights were always on Sea Days.

By the way, have fun in Portland. I grew up there and it is beautiful right down town - cobble stone streets, tons of shops, all by foot.

i cant wait to get to portland. i have booked no tours. i am just going to wander and walk around, shop, eat and enjoy the beauty of the city. it sounds great. thanks for trying to help. :)

We did this trip last year, and you will love it. We flew into boston the day before and stayed at the holiday inn. We did the freedom trail, and not to be missed is the glass holocaust memorial on the trail. I think the formal night is the 2nd and 5th nights. We loved everything about this cruise.

you can email me at sasysutler@aol.com and I will give you details from our newletters .and i have tons of pictures.

oh and in n.b go to mcdonalds and get a "mclobster"!

oh , and in Bar Harbour we did our own whale watching tour. wonderful, but the waters are about 20-30 degrees cooler.. bring a jacket.

Music

Just checked the carnival menus and the 2nd night (Boston) is lobster so I'm guessing it's one of the formal nights. I, too, am disappointed about having to hurry through Boston but won't miss a formal night. Oh well, if we get early seating, maybe we can go out after dinner.

Ann

since i am going to eat all the lobster i can on this cruise i will look for it. sounds '' very interesting '' ;) . thanks for all the tips.

the 2nd night (Boston) is lobster --i was hoping the first formal night was not in boston but i will see what adventure i am doing whether i make it back in time. it is not like i wont be getting plenty of lobster in the ports to eat. but like you , i would like to attend it. i will have to see what happens.

have a great cruise :)

since i am going to eat all the lobster i can on this cruise i will look for it. sounds '' very interesting '' ;) . thanks for all the tips.

the 2nd night (Boston) is lobster --i was hoping the first formal night was not in boston but i will see what adventure i am doing whether i make it back in time. it is not like i wont be getting plenty of lobster in the ports to eat. but like you , i would like to attend it. i will have to see what happens.

have a great cruise :)

MMM - Are you from the New York area, or are you flying in for the cruise? If you are from New York, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over tours in Boston, because you can always get up there in 3 or 4 hours and spens a lot more time there than you could on the ship's tour anyway. Just a thought....

Music

Just checked the carnival menus and the 2nd night (Boston) is lobster so I'm guessing it's one of the formal nights. I, too, am disappointed about having to hurry through Boston but won't miss a formal night. Oh well, if we get early seating, maybe we can go out after dinner.

Ann

Ann, just curious - how and where did you check the Carnival menus?

MMM - Are you from the New York area, or are you flying in for the cruise? If you are from New York, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over tours in Boston, because you can always get up there in 3 or 4 hours and spens a lot more time there than you could on the ship's tour anyway. Just a thought....

i am flying into new york the afternoon before the cruise. i have not booked any tours with the ship, i will just do my own thing in each port. but thanks for letting me know about all there is too do if i lived in the new york area.

Guest YesitDonna

MCLOBSTER???????? ACK!!!!! Ok first.... you can get "real" lobster anywhere in Boston. Second... you're going to Maine!!! Home of the lobster!!!! I'm guessing that the lobster on the ship will be the same type they always have and won't be "Maine" lobster and there is a HUGE difference!!!! and by the way.... it's lobstah! LOL

Boston also has the trolly tours that you can get on and off all day along their stops for like $20 for the day. Most of them start off over by the New England Aquarium if your looking for them.

Parrot

Serena, a regular on here posted them on this site and I bookmarked them. If I was more computer literate, I would re-post them but I think if you start a new thread requesting them, someone will respond. This was just the dinner menus however as the cruise line was still working on the dessert menu.

Ann

If you want lobster, please don't get a mclobster (which, by the way, I bet is color-dyed crab meat or something like that). That's like me going on a cruise to the Caribbean and having the itch to go ice skating. Two things you must try while going up north if you like lobster - 1) lobster right off the boat (THIS DOES NOT MEAN RED LOBSTER), and 2) lobster rolls (my personal favorite). Portland is my old stomping ground. If you're looking for an AWESOME, CHEAP authentic Maine lunch where it'll be you, the locals, and some seafood off the boats, go to J's Oyster Bar (on the waterfront within a couple of blocks of all your tourist shopping). This restaurant is on the fishing wharf more or less (just down from a fish market even that sells fresh catch of the day to locals). You won't be disappointed.

169972-Js_Oyster_Bar-Portland.jpg

If you want lobster, please don't get a mclobster (which, by the way, I bet is color-dyed crab meat or something like that). That's like me going on a cruise to the Caribbean and having the itch to go ice skating. Two things you must try while going up north if you like lobster - 1) lobster right off the boat (THIS DOES NOT MEAN RED LOBSTER), and 2) lobster rolls (my personal favorite). Portland is my old stomping ground. If you're looking for an AWESOME, CHEAP authentic Maine lunch where it'll be you, the locals, and some seafood off the boats, go to J's Oyster Bar (on the waterfront within a couple of blocks of all your tourist shopping). This restaurant is on the fishing wharf more or less (just down from a fish market even that sells fresh catch of the day to locals). You won't be disappointed.

169972-Js_Oyster_Bar-Portland.jpg

ok, the mclobster is out. and j's is in. cant wait. thanks for letting me know about it. and the pix is a great way to locate it when i get there :)

Archived