Directions to Red Hook from NE - avoid 95

sallycruiser

We are going to Red Hook on 9/30 from Massachusetts and want to know what is the easiest way. We want to avoid I95 South, as we have heard it can be a nightmare. When I google or go on to get directions they all take me on I95S.

Any New Yorkers out there who can give us a better route, and also what the timing would be. We will be leaving on Saturday morning.. what would you suggest on time to leave to get to the port.

Thanks...

Definitely do NOT take I95. I just did Mapquest from Salem, MA and here are the results: http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=salem&1s=ma&1z=&2pn=&2a=&2c=new+york&2s=ny&2z=&r=f

Take the Mass Pike (90) West to Sturbridge, then 84 to Hartford, and 91 to NY. It's actually faster and more direct than I95, at least for me, and you avoid the traffic and tie-ups on I95.

Definitely do NOT take I95. I just did Mapquest from Salem, MA and here are the results: http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=salem&1s=ma&1z=&2pn=&2a=&2c=new+york&2s=ny&2z=&r=f

Take the Mass Pike (90) West to Sturbridge, then 84 to Hartford, and 91 to NY. It's actually faster and more direct than I95, at least for me, and you avoid the traffic and tie-ups on I95.

We use your directions traveling to Boston. Unfortunately 91 runs into 95 where there is quite a bit of congestion and construction. I'm not sure if there is an easy way to completely avoid 95...

We use your directions traveling to Boston. Unfortunately 91 takes you onto 95 where there is quite a bit of congestion and construction. I'm not sure if there is an easy way to completely avoid 95...
You're right. Not without knowing the area. At least with the above directions, you avoid 95 through MA and CT.

I often drive from the Boston area to NYC. I used to take the above route all the time until my niece moved from her Manhattan apartment to her house in Riverdale... the first time I went to her house yahoo/mapquest gave me a completely different route which I continued to take even when I am going to Manhattan:

I-90

I-84

I-684

Hutchinson River Pky

Cross County Pky West

Saw Mill Pkwy South

Riverside Drive (West side of Manhattan)

This route is much better than the one above using I-95 which has two predictable major traffic jams (one by New Haven, CT and the other one by the toll booths before NYC). It usually takes me 3:30 hours to get to my niece's home, and there is usually less traffic in this route.

By the way, this is the link for directions from Boston to "200 Riverdale Dr" (I just made up this address - it probably exists, but I don't know who/what is in there)

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#maxp=location&q2=200+riverdale+dr,+ny,+ny&q1=Boston,+MA&mvt=m&trf=0&lon=-72.520752&lat=41.574361&mag=10

I was going to mention continuing west on 84 to 684 but that's a narrower highway and if you're traveling in the afternoon, there's a lot of traffic west of Hartford.

An alternate could be the Merritt Pkwy from Hartford -- I'm really stretching my memory here since it's been over 30 years since I lived in NYC. Definitely more scenic way to go. :)

I was going to mention continuing west on 84 to 684 but that's a narrower highway and if you're traveling in the afternoon, there's a lot of traffic west of Hartford.

Hi Pam,

The directions from my yahoo link avoid the busy area west of Hartford. In other words, you'll get into I-84 then I-91 and I-691, and then back into I-84... The first time I thought this was odd, and the second time I took my chances and stayed in I-84 just to realize that taking this detour (91 and 691) really saved me from some congested areas (I believe Danbury, CT).

Hi Pam,

The directions from my yahoo link avoid the busy area west of Hartford. In other words, you'll get into I-84 then I-91 and I-691, and then back into I-84... The first time I thought this was odd, and the second time I took my chances and stayed in I-84 just to realize that taking this detour (91 and 691) really saved me from some congested areas (I believe Danbury, CT).

Ahhh... missed that. Maybe I better go to bed. :)

we live in Brooklyn and when we go visit my brother in Maine, we usually take "kind of " these directions. We take 95 to 91, then stay on 91 to the Mass Pike. We had other directions, also not involving 84, which was less time spent on the Mass Pike, but paying the $$$ saved us time.

As someone else said, unfortunately the traffic on 95 from 91 into the city is usually the worst...

Saturday mornings coming from east to west on 95, though, aren't usually too bad.

I live in NY and travel to Mass. I would definitely follow the below previously posted directions.

I-90

I-84

I-684

Hutchinson River Pky

Cross County Pky West

Saw Mill Pkwy South

Riverside Drive (West side of Manhattan)

Continue onto West Side Hwy. to Brooklyn Batterly Tunnel. Directions to pier can be found on the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal website.

We are the one 9/30 sailing also. You should join our Cruise Critic party. There are about 150 cruise critic members. Besides all of that we are from NJ and last Sunday my husband and I drove out to Brooklyn to find the terminal. There is so much construction going on that it took us an hour with no traffic. This was early Sunday morning. I know that we will it plenty of traffic on a Saturday so we plan on leaving very early. On mention previously it was I278 that was a big problem. Plan on leaving early. There are quite a few folks coming from MA on the Crown Princess 9/30 sailing. Please sign up!!

We are going to Red Hook on 9/30 from Massachusetts and want to know what is the easiest way. We want to avoid I95 South, as we have heard it can be a nightmare. When I google or go on to get directions they all take me on I95S.

Any New Yorkers out there who can give us a better route, and also what the timing would be. We will be leaving on Saturday morning.. what would you suggest on time to leave to get to the port.

Thanks...

I'm from CT. DO NOT TAKE I-95 or the Merritt Parkway. You will end up sitting in traffic for hours, without exaggeration. Take I-84 through Connecticut into New York, then connect with I-684 South toward White Plains/NYC about a mile from the border with CT. You can go many ways from 684. Look up the best way that suits you.

We are the one 9/30 sailing also. You should join our Cruise Critic party. There are about 150 cruise critic members. Besides all of that we are from NJ and last Sunday my husband and I drove out to Brooklyn to find the terminal. There is so much construction going on that it took us an hour with no traffic. This was early Sunday morning. I know that we will it plenty of traffic on a Saturday so we plan on leaving very early. On mention previously it was I278 that was a big problem. Plan on leaving early. There are quite a few folks coming from MA on the Crown Princess 9/30 sailing. Please sign up!!

I278 is the BQE/Gowanus, right?

They've been doing loads of construction on the weekends.

I'm guessing that if you are coming from NJ you're going through Staten Island. My best advice would be to avoid the BQE and take the streets to get to the Cruise Terminal.

We usually go to Fairway in Red Hook on the weekends and the last few weekends have had terrible traffic.

Just my experience . . . maybe it will be of some help?

Archived