Coral questions

Sarahgraci

Oh, my cruise is getting so close I can barely stand it! I have a few of questions for those of you who have been on Coral.

1) If we want to go to lunch, which dining room do we go to? 1 is for anytime, and 1 is for traditional at dinner. Are they both just open as open seating at lunch? If so, do they have the same menus?

2) From experience, what have you seen open for lunch on embarkation day?

3) This is not just for Coral people, but some of you may be able to answer it; I hear that if you're disembarking in Vancouver, you can do preclearance for customs. Do you get the paperwork on the ship? Can anyone tell me more about the process?

4) Which pool is covered, and have you found it to be crowded?

Thank you all so much for the information in other postings- like many of you, I've been on the board multiple times a day, taking notes for our trip. Thanks in advance for answering my questions!

We were on the Coral 8/21 to 8/28. The Bordeaux dining room is open for lunch and breakfast (level 5). We had lunch and breakfast there several times. We really enjoyed it. Of course, there is always the buffet. We had lunch there (Glacier Bay day) and breakfast on our last day.

The pool on level 14 by the spa is covered. There are also a couple of hot tubs. On occasion the hot tubs were crowded but not the pool.

Only certain airlines and certain flights (according to what the passenger service desk) qualify for the express checkout. Our airline didn't qualify, so I can't help you with that question.

I hope this helps. The Coral Princess is a beautiful ship.

To clairfy further, lunch in the dining room is open seating as in breakfast. Only one dining room will be open for breakfast and lunch and sometimes they change it. Of course the buffet is open 24/7.

On embarkation day, only the buffet is open for lunch.

In Vancouver, if you are flying out of Canada have your "tax" ready. I think it use to be about $8pp US but it may be higher now. Was not part of the cruise line paid airfare! Somone who has done it more recently will likely advise.

For breakfast there's not a great selection in the dining room - we were surprised to find only 5 or 6 items on the menu, most of which were also available in the buffet. But several people we sat with ordered items not on the menu, like pancakes and Bircher Muesli (the yogurt, fruit and cereal mix that's out of this world) and the waiter didn't bat an eye. Don't know if that's always the case, but worth a try. Lunch menus are always posted so you can have a look before you decide. Coral is our current favorite ship - you'll have a GREAT time! Cheers,

Kirsten

I was on the Coral this past March. Great ship!!!!

Only one of the dining rooms (usually Bordeaux, I think) will be open for breakfast/lunch. You will be directed as to which. You will do much better for both lunch and breakfast at the Horizon Court buffet. Far more selections, much faster and more relaxing. One thing you may want to know about breakfast/lunch in the dining room is that you will be seated with other people. I don't mind this at all, but I know that some folks do. They only open a small section of the dining room, and I felt very crowded there. Also, don't forget the great grill and pizza available near the pools. Really yummy! The pizza place is right next to the Horizon Court and the Grill is up one level, just above. Also, even though the room service menu indicates only a continental breakfast, we had no problem getting anything we wanted.

I did the Alaska cruise several years ago. It was my first cruise and I loved it! Try the delicious minted hot chocolate while you watch the glaciers. Really special if you have a balcony cabin. Be sure to take a warm jacket. It gets pretty chilly on that bay. I had my good old LLBean lined barn coat, with gloves in the pockets, and was I glad! If you are cruising in Sept., you can pretty much leave the shorts and T shirts at home :). My other piece of advice is to splurge on the Spa Taster, a mini facial and massage. Awesome! Have fun!

Thank you all so much for helping with my questions. The only thing I'm worried about is the cold- i'm usually a very warm person, so at this point in time, I don't even own a warm coat that fits! I have long-sleeve shirts, fleeces, a windbreaker, and sweaters, and of course a hat and gloves because those parts do tend to get chilly sooner than the rest of me. If I layer, will I still be cold? Do you think it would be OK if I waited until I got there to get a coat, if I decided I needed one? Another problem I'm having is that here in NC, it's not exactly winter coat time at stores, so they are few and far between, and at this point, I don't want to spend the money on an expensive one such as North Face or Columbia that sporting goods/outdoor stores DO have. Ideas?

When we were in Ketchikan in May I bought 7 jackets - reversible, waterproof, hooded, really nice for $20 each! And, no, they weren't all for me! One for DH, one for me, and the others for gifts for family members. I thought they were a great buy! Also, my favorite apparel for Alaska - ear muffs AND long underwear! Have a wonderful cruise. It's a great place.

Thank you all so much for helping with my questions. The only thing I'm worried about is the cold- i'm usually a very warm person, so at this point in time, I don't even own a warm coat that fits! I have long-sleeve shirts, fleeces, a windbreaker, and sweaters, and of course a hat and gloves because those parts do tend to get chilly sooner than the rest of me. If I layer, will I still be cold? Do you think it would be OK if I waited until I got there to get a coat, if I decided I needed one? Another problem I'm having is that here in NC, it's not exactly winter coat time at stores, so they are few and far between, and at this point, I don't want to spend the money on an expensive one such as North Face or Columbia that sporting goods/outdoor stores DO have. Ideas?

We're from CA and we were in Alaska in June/July. We were on the North to South route, so after boarding in Whittier (it was about 85 and sunny), there was no where to buy anything before hitting the cold weather. I took my leather (winter) coat AND layered up (I'm very cold blooded) as well. Definitely take gloves and something to cover your ears/head. It was pretty cold both in College Fjord and Glacier Bay. Don't forget to check out the store on the ship if you think you need more. They had some pretty nice fleece wear that looked warm and cozy.

Archived