Possibly choose RCCL?

crazidude1400

Well, he's getting what he's looking for on the RCI board. They fell for it.

How did the members of the RCCL board "fall for it"? On RCCL some said stick with RCCL, and others said try Carnival.

On the Carnival board he was told to stick with Carnival, and some said try RCCL.

Where's the controversy? :rolleyes:

I say by all means you should cruise RCCL. They provide such a superior product. You are bound to then prefer them over Carnival. In fact you will like them so much that you will only want to hang out on the RCCL board on Cruise Critic.

How did the members of the RCCL board "fall for it"? On RCCL some said stick with RCCL, and others said try Carnival.

On the Carnival board he was told to stick with Carnival, and some said try RCCL.

Where's the controversy? :rolleyes:

Most posters on both boards listed pros and cons or just said "try it and see for yourself". BUT there are a few posts on the RCCL boards... :rolleyes:

Quotes from the RCCL board:

"Friends don't let friends cruise Carnival".

I try to steer my friends away from Carnival.

I couldn't agree more! I wouldn't sail Carnival again if it were free.

Most posters on both boards listed pros and cons or just said "try it and see for yourself". BUT there are a few posts on the RCCL boards... :rolleyes:

I get your point, but I'm sure if I scour this board I'll find some RCCL basing posts. Also, the first quote was simply a joke (afaik).

Anyways, my point is that you'll find trolls and flamers wherever you go.

Why does this kid always post this nonsense? Crazidude - Are you really lonely? I'm not trying to be rude, but let's face it. You're not trying to pick between any 2 lines, those of us that KNOW you...know that to be true.

Why do you get enjoyment out of creating controversy on a freaking CRUISE chat room? I'm guessing b/c it's so active that you get instant gratification from your questions...

Remember when this guy made all those CRAZI posts awhile ago, then said it was his brother or friend or something? He didn't get banned why?

We find all the newer larger ships to be pretty much the same no matter what the line, with the exception of the Voyager Class RCCL. They are really a different experience and we would take one of them over others. That said, I guess many others feels that same, as I just booked Liberty for Feb. because, for similar cabins, RCCL was almost $1k more.

That's what I found when I looked to book my next cruise. I looked at 3rd week of April and compared Carnival Liberty to RCCL Freedom and did a comparison of a balcony cabin with a 3rd and 4th (my 8 and 6 year olds) and found the Liberty to be about $900 less.

BUT there are a few posts on the RCCL boards... :rolleyes:

Suzy,

You missed this one!

After my one and only experience with Carnival, I would rather have had needles pushed under my fingernails but who knows

Suzy,

You missed this one!

After my one and only experience with Carnival, I would rather have had needles pushed under my fingernails but who knows

I was being incredibly generous. Since he went on to say "...you might like it. To each his own." I left it out. :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with trying a new line. I tried RCL this year, and for me personally, I prefer Carnival, but I'll cruise RCL again... no bashing from me. And hey, then you can always post over there :p PLEASE make sure you tell them your philosophy and why you don't tip...

Ok.... (regardless of who or why the question was asked)....

We just got off the Monarch of the Seas (3 day Ensenada) of which last year we did the Paradise on the same 3 day itenerary and have done the 4 day 6 years ago on the Holiday.

Both 3 days are party cruises, but personally, neither to the extent that people exagerate them out to be. Being we did both at times when kids had time off (labor day this time) seemed like there were more kids than say our 6 day that was in october, but both ships kept them occupied pretty well.

Embarkation: Got on the MOS quickly and painlessly, was well organized and we were on by 11:30. Were not allowed in our room till 2:30 tho (tried going early to drop off our carry on and was kicked out) Have always been able to drop and run on Carnival ships (and we started to think this was the way we would be treated all weekend for a bit there).

Pursors desk day 1: Anyone that has been to the pursors on any ship knows day 1 is a bad time. First time we have had a flight out on returning day, and were told by phone to go to the pursor first thing. We were brushed off and asked to return on another day.

Boat drill - very unorganized, made me and my wife seperate for no reason (did this to many people at random). After I was yelled at when we decided to step aside and let the crowd disperse before heading to put up our life jackets. I guess we werent allowed to be safe and wait. (again added to the way we thought we would be treated).

Pursors desk day 2: We were helped quickly and the way one would hope to be helped which just proved that day one was either a fluke or typical for embarcation day.

Food: some things we liked better on one, some we liked better on the other. (no prime rib or lobster on MOS for 3 day but the Fillet of beef was awesome) Buffet is hit or miss no matter whether a ship or on land and we found things we liked and didnt like that varried from day to day.

I like getting my own drinks at lunch/breakfast, and on the MOS you get them from a tray that is replenished by the crew. OJ, lemonade, and water in morning, and "real" ice tea, lemonade, and water at lunch and dinner times. Only found water available when we went up for late night snack.

Pizza is only open certain hours on MOS, but we found it to be just as good as on Paradise.

If there was an ice cream station, we couldnt find it (they do have a Ben and Jerry's for a fee).

Formal night: We had first seating, both cruises. Both had their fair share of jeans and tees on formal night. (Personally, normaly wouldnt care to notice, but being I was comparing I made the effort. And I was in a suit and tie)

Entertainment: cant compare being we rarely make it to the theatre on short cruises.

Drinks: beer was 4.50 on Carnival for Miller Lite plastic bottle, and 3.00 for a can on MOS (both before Gratuities). RCCL has raised drinking age to 21 (no longer 18 like I have read in the past) MOS seemed more freindly to the people that had a soda pass (I dont do the soda pass, so this is from an observer point of view). Large glasses, and were served in order, not overlooked even when the bar was packed. Mixed and specialty drinks I would say were about equal in pricing, types (named differently some times). We mannaged $300 in 3 days in alcohol intake.

Pictures: Carnival is more pushy. Both had plenty of opportunities had we been inclined.

Service: Equal. You can have the best server in the world, or the worst server in the world on any ship. We had an awesome Waiter and assitant, for the weekend. Every one remembered our names and asked if there was any way we prefered to be addressed.

Activities: Seemed like more on Carnival, but more for the sports inthusiast on RCCL, equal in quality (or lack there of for people that dont like the Mens sexy legs etc...that both have)

Tipping: This was interesting. This weekend by default the tips are not added to the account. We filled out a form to have them added (very close to Carnival in breakdown) and then on the last night we were given vouchers to put in the tip envelopes to show we tiped by card (side note: we didnt make it to our room before dinner to know this, so we told our waiter we tipped by card as we handed him an extra tip. He showed us a slip that they get on the last night. They know who tiped by card and who did not.)

Shoping on board: Equal. The experience degrades as the # of people in the shops increase.

Bingo: Liked Carnival better. There is a long explination, but it comes down to our preference.

Disembarkation: Had priority because of a 12:30 flight out of Longbeach made disembarkation a breeze on MOS. Have always been one of the last tags called on Carnival so cant compare.

Long story short. Anyone wanting to try another cruise line should. If your afraid to, dont. We tried it, had a blast on RCCL. Will we go again, maybe, if the price is right. (Carnival was $600 more for the same 3 day cruise this weekend).

Edit: as for decor (I forgot this). MOS is what I like to call a lot "quieter" than the Carnival Ships, but if I planed my vacation around decor alone, then I wouldnt make it to Vegas which is my favorite place to go when not on a cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can imagine being locked inside a fading old style Vegas strip hotel for a week, then you can visualize RCCL. We spent a week on the Splendour in August and the food quality was similar to a Vegas buffet--after the food had been sitting on the warming tables for a couple of hours. If you like lots of shiny brass, studded mirrors, and an 80's version of glitz, you'll be at home. If not, go upmarket.:(

Since I am a Diamond Member with RCI and a often Carnival Cruiser (10 so far), let's compare the my last two cruises with these two ships: Mariner vs. Glory

1) RCL has a conceiges lounge

2) Carnival has a waterslide

3) RCL has mini golf, in-line skating, and a rock wall. (Cool if you use it!)

4) RCL had two speciality restaurants (or is it three with Johnny Rockets?), Carnival had one.

5) Glory had lots of places to eat outside, Marnier None.

6) Carnival had laundrettes, Marnier nothing.

7) Alternative restaurants - Windjammer on the Mariner crushes Glory for Breakfast

8) Mariner - Full size basketball, Carnival - Smaller than half court

9) Carnival - More self serve ice cream stations serving Ice Cream and Frozen Yogart. On the Mariner if you wanted Ice Cream you had to pay for it!

10) In my opinion, the food in the main dining is a toss up. But Carnival has more free speciality stuff (Fish & Chips, Deli, etc.)

11) In my opinion, the activities and entertainment go to Carnival. But alot of the activities are the same: Crazy Legs, Bingo, Trivia, Honeymooners, etc.

12) In price comparisons, CCL is generally less expensive. I guess this makes RCI more upscale.

13) Glory left on a Saturday and the Mariner left on a Sunday - Same embarkation port. Could make a difference to some people.

14) The Room service menu on RCI was much nicer than CCL - More Choices!

15) RCL treats repeat customers much better - Carnival is finally getting on board with this

16) Carnival has the Ocean Player Club, RCL has a basic point system in but it needs a lot of work.

17) Funvision vs. RCTV - Liked some of the options with RCTV.

Hope this helps.

Archived