dec air fare

doodie

I'm cruising on the CB 12/17 and needing to get air fare. The cheapest I've seen is $244 but involves an overnight flight (I'm looking for Phoenix to FLL) on Sat nite arriving in fll at 10 am and connecting thru Detroit. I'm concerned about that leg of it, and am tempted to say it's not worth it to try to save the money and make it easier by flying during the day on Saturday, even though it's a lot more expensive. What does everybody think?:confused:

Doodie

I'm cruising on the CB 12/17 and needing to get air fare. The cheapest I've seen is $244 but involves an overnight flight (I'm looking for Phoenix to FLL) on Sat nite arriving in fll at 10 am and connecting thru Detroit. I'm concerned about that leg of it, and am tempted to say it's not worth it to try to save the money and make it easier by flying during the day on Saturday, even though it's a lot more expensive. What does everybody think?

Not quite sure what your concern is. Is it 1) Weather delays in DTW for the arrival, departure or both 2) Having to fly north to DTW then south to FLL 3) The possibility of a misconnect in DTW if your outbound from PHX is delayed 4) The desire to spend less time in an aluminum tube. 5) The inability to sleep on a redeye 6) The possibility of missing the ship, since you arrive on the same day.

I wouldn't worry much about #1, as DTW is pretty good at handling weather issues (as are most hub airports that face the problem, such as MSP, ORD, DEN, CLE and PIT) #2 is just a fact of life if you fly NW. (Your other possibility on NW is MSP, even further north). #3 is a function of the schedules - don't have a tight connect in this situation. #4 and #5 are personal preference only. Think of the extra FF miles you'll get for that routing!! #6 is something that generates strong feelings in this group....some would never be caught dead flying in the day of a cruise and others do it without a concern. Your own personal "risk aversion factor" would answer that issue better than any of us could.

Remember, there is ALWAYS more to purchasing a plane ticket than just the price. But those other factors will often affect the cost. Free markets, free choices. Now go out and be empowered.

The NW flight is by far the cheapest. There are reasons they are the cheapest-they are trying to generate cash FAST. But with the current state of NW, I sure wouldn't be booking NW on a critical travel week. Who knows what the future brings? It would be a disaster for you if there was a major disruption during one of the peak travel seasons. There most likely will not be other flights available at a reasonable price. And even with travel insurance, you will have to pay first and THEN get your money back. Not a good situation.

Take a look at your "home town airline". And fly in a day early, if at all possible. Enjoy!!

Try Kayak.com or Southwest Air/DING from Phoenix. I would also go out the day before and get a hotel near the airport or FLL beach area. DO NOT leave Phoenix the morning of the cruise, good chance your vacation won't be on the cruise ship. Many threads here have been about that topic including one a month ago where the flight left Denver 90 minutes late and she got on the ship as they were doing the munster drill. 5 minutes later, they would have been waving the ship bye-bye.

Archived