Balcony Dining on Crown

kathanderik

Hi,

My husband and I will be doing back to back cruises in November on the Crown! We can't wait. we were considering doing the Ultimate balcony dining, at least for breakfast and we are considering dinner. Has anyone done this? Was it worth the price? Would you do it again? What is the menu like? I believe the cost is 100 per couple for dinner, 25 for breakfast. Would also love to hear how people liked the special resurants........ We've eaten in both Chops and Portifinos on RCCL and really enjoyed both. this will be our first time on Princess. Thanks for your input! ;)

Guest BeckyThane
My husband and I will be doing back to back cruises in November on the Crown! We can't wait. we were considering doing the Ultimate balcony dining, at least for breakfast and we are considering dinner. Has anyone done this? Was it worth the price? Would you do it again? What is the menu like? I believe the cost is 100 per couple for dinner, 25 for breakfast. Would also love to hear how people liked the special resurants........ We've eaten in both Chops and Portifinos on RCCL and really enjoyed both. this will be our first time on Princess. Thanks for your input! ;)

Hi, Kath!

We were on the 8/16 sailing of the Crown, and gave my father the balcony breakfast for his birthday. He and his SO raved about it! They said it was delicious, and waaaaay more food than they could possibly eat. All I know is that we didn't see them until late that morning. :D Somehow I think the breakfast is much more "bang for the buck."

Sorry, I can't speak to the specialty restaurants. We didn't try them. We were so happy with meals in Michelangelo that we ate there every night. As Dad said, "I've had more fine meals on this cruise than I would in a year of restaurant-going back home." You'll read contradictory reports on this board, but I think that's mostly due to individual preferences. For us, the food was very nice.

~ Becky

Hi, Kath!

We were on the 8/16 sailing of the Crown, and gave my father the balcony breakfast for his birthday. He and his SO raved about it! They said it was delicious, and waaaaay more food than they could possibly eat. All I know is that we didn't see them until late that morning. :D Somehow I think the breakfast is much more "bang for the buck."

~ Becky

Hi Becky, I haven't looked into it much yet, but can you tell me if you were able to book the balcony breakfast in advance of the cruise? I've read that you're able to do the breakfast ahead of time but not the dinners? Thanks for any help, never been on Princess before.

I have done the ultimate balcony breakfast on the Caribbean and have already signed up for it again on the Crown this fall. It's wonderful. You get champagne and the juice of your choice. They bring a basket full of breads and pastries that is far too much for two people to handle. (We saved the rest of ours and ate them later in the day.) There was very fresh fruit salad served in a cantaloupe bowl that was better than any fruit in the buffets. The next course was a salmon course - which I didn't try but he loved it, and finally quiche. Everything was wonderful. Like I said, we have already signed up for it again this year.

We tried to do the dinner as well but they only do a couple per evening and by the time we thought about it they were all full so I would sign up for that immediately if you're interested. I have eaten in both Sterling's and Sabatini's. I am a picky eater so Sabatini's is not for me. (I do like Portofino's on RCCL.) They have a lot of courses there that consist of things I won't eat so it isn't very fun for me. Sterling's was great. If you like The Palm or other steak houses like that then you will like Sterling's. The beef is a better beef than you get in the dining room. We are definitely doing the steakhouse on the Crown one, if not two, nights during our cruise.

Guest BeckyThane
Hi Becky, I haven't looked into it much yet, but can you tell me if you were able to book the balcony breakfast in advance of the cruise? I've read that you're able to do the breakfast ahead of time but not the dinners? Thanks for any help, never been on Princess before.

I pre-ordered the balcony breakfast for Dad, along with our flowers and various other "bon voyage" gifts. When we got on board, I found out that they only do balcony breakfast one day of the cruise, which (I think?) was our last sea day (maybe second to last sea day?). Pax were offered the opportunity to order the balcony breakfast a day or two ahead of time. I'm so neurotic, though, that if I had to do it again I'd go ahead and pre-order just so I don't have to think about it once I'm on board! :rolleyes:

Guest BeckyThane
We have done the dinner and it was fantastic, but no breakfast for me, I am not into fish for breakfast. :eek:

<LOL> Me, either, Colo! But, Dad tried to feed me salmon for breakfast earlier this year, so I knew he'd ~love~ it! (and he did!!!)

we were considering doing the Ultimate balcony dining, at least for breakfast and we are considering dinner. Has anyone done this?
My DH were going to do this, but the minisuites have uncovered balconies -- very exposed. I knew this before we sailed, but there was no privacy at all, so we didn't try it. Do report back & let us know how it was!

Would also love to hear how people liked the special resurants.
Food is so subjective, but you asked!;)

I found the Crown grill steakhouse to be rather average. I had the NY strip, and I found the steak in the non-pay dining room almost as good.

We loved Sabbatini's. My DH especially enjoyed the small portions of many dishes (I believe it was everything listed on the left side of the menu). Plan on at least 2 hours. The waiter/ress serves these portions a few at a time, so it can be time-consuming.

Archived