Mahay's Jet Boat Safari - Talkeetna

swdke

We took the 3:30, 3 hour tour. It was fun. The visit to the "trappers cabin" and old beaver dam were a little hokey. We had toursaver coupons so that made it more worth the money for the trip. We saw eagles and bears too. If you are staying at the McKinley Princess you can take this tour for the same price. They bus you to Talkeetna and drop you off back at the princess for the same price as the regular tour price. Of course then you don't spend as much time on the river.

We did both the 3 hour tour and the longer Canyon tour. Agreed that the beaver lodge and trapper camp were hokey (skipped that the second time around). The trip to the canyon was through some much heavier rapids, and was "nearly exciting", but both give you spectacular scenery.

We saw no bears in june, but lots of moose and eagles

We did the Canyon tour. This was our last excursion of a 13 night cruisetour. We only saw eagles. The canyon portion was exciting, but otherwise it was a pretty long tour for about 15 minutes in the cabin. The naturalist on board spoke at about 5 different stops along the river. Besides that you just got to enjoy the beauty. This was different from most other tours when the naturalists constantly are giving you info and trying to entertain you a little. I didn't find the scenery anything different than that over the rest of the trip. We had an overcast day (not raining though) and couldn't see any mountains as I recall. So the main scenery was the wooded river banks, which are beautiful in their own way.

I wouldn't do the tour again, but I don't regret anything I did on the trip.

Archived