Beware of the 8I "upgrade" on the Spirit

travlnglfer

After planning our Alaskan cruise (8/23/06 northbound) for more than 9 months, my wife and I were very happy to learn we'd been "upgraded" from an 8A to an 8I (extended balcony).

Our delight was shortsighted; the "upgrade" was a horrible disappointment, as our new cabin's view (cabin 8185) was completely blocked on the right side with an 8-foot wall and above with a 10-foot overhang.

When we got our room assignment (four weeks out) we checked the deck plans and immediately were concerned. However, our discount cruise broker/travel agent assured us "we'd love" our cabin, and just give it a chance. In other words, he was too lazy to fight Carnival for a different cabin.

Knowing deck plans aren't totally accurate, we foolishly trusted him. When we opened the door to the cabin, we were just sick. All the thoughts of breakfast with the glaciers on our own balcony were gone, and throughout the entire cruise, we spent only a few minutes out there, choosing instead to go up on deck for better views.

We now are fighting both the agency and Carnival for a refund reflecting the difference in cost from the unobstructed balcony we paid for and the very obstructed view we received. We've disputed the charges with American Express (very helpful so far) and we're going to stick to our guns.

So, beware of cabins 8185 and 8186 (same situation, different side of the ship.

We loved the cruise overall, still find Carnival people wonderful, and will post a full review later.

Carnival Destiny 2003

Carnival Conquest 2004

We now are fighting both the agency and Carnival for a refund reflecting the difference in cost from the unobstructed balcony we paid for and the very obstructed view we received. We've disputed the charges with American Express (very helpful so far) and we're going to stick to our guns.

Did you immediately go to the pursers desk, what did they say? Not sure why you are trying to get money back from Carnival, your travel agent sold it to you, sounds like the difference in price should come from him/her. You also have to take responsibility, you did "accept" the upgrade and you could have said no - kind of like trading what you have for what is behind door #2 and being pissed about it...

PS - just did a search, people have praised that room, not one complaint - till you...

That's a tough one. I would hate to be disappointed with my cabin, especially when you are really looking forward to the balcony. That is why we always pick specific cabins. Yes, we realize that we won't be visited by the "upgrade fairy" but at least we know in advance what we will have.

It's a risk that you always have with a guarantee. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise but I doubt you will have much luck getting any money back from Carnival. I would complain to your TA though.

I actually picked this room for our February cruise. I was thinking that we at least would have some privacy on the balcony on one side.

Now I don't know whether to change or not?

Are there any noise issues with this room? Any other problems?

Thanks

Karen

First, yes, we did book a guarantee - an 8A guarantee, which we would have been happy with had we received it.

Second, while an 8I is a higher category, the balcony view is at least 40 percent obstructed. I'll post photos tonight to show. That's a bummer on an Alaska cruise.

Third, yes I did go to purser's office, and was told there were no rooms to change to.

And four, I did object to my travel agent as soon as we saw the room. I take responsibility for taking his advice, but Carnival simply shouldn't sell the room at the same price. I wanted - and paid for - a full, 180 degree, unobstructed balcony; I didn't get it.

And five, I have no idea why anyone would like it. You simply can't see anything but straight ahead or to your left.

And six, regardless of how Carnival categorizes this room, it is nothing more than an obstructed view room. I've been on two other Carnival ships, with balconies, and was very happy.

For anyone to whom a view is important, stay away. If you want a bigger deck, it might be okay. You DO have privacy.

your agent should have never sold you a guarantee if a view was important. Picking a set cabin was the way you should have gone.

Your agent should aslo explained to you that picking a guarantee and once you are set-- there isnt much you can do except maybe pay for a different upgrade.

One small disappointment can ruin an otherwise great vacation.. Im sorry it happened to you.

WHat do you plan on doing on your balcony... :eek:

Well, as I'm going to have my two teenagers with me, along with my husband, I was thinking more along the lines of cigarette smoke drifting from the next balcony, excessive door slaming and all that other good stuff I've read about here!

I have had balcony cabins and I will tell you that you got more than what you paid for, and every balcony has an obstructive wall at the end of each balcony. Sure, that one extends out a bit more, but it does not block the entire balcony. By taking a balcony guarantee, you could been assigned an obstructed view cabin (and maybe you did), but that is the risk you take for the lower price.

Your cabin, whether you believe it is a valid upgrade or not, sells for a higher set rate than you paid for.

It took me a couple minutes to go to a discount TA site, pull up a guarantee cabin reservation and get the following

Balcony Stateroom Guarantee

Please note that this is a "guarantee" rate. By booking this category, you are guaranteed a balcony stateroom for this sailing at this rate. However, this rate is not associated with a specific stateroom, deck, or bedding configuration. Staterooms may be located anywhere on this ship. You will be assigned a specific balcony stateroom at check-in.

This is directly from the Carnival site:

Booking a guaranteed cabin guarantees you a cabin within that cabin class: Suite, balcony, oceanview, or inside. You will receive your cabin assignment when you check in for your cruise, and your cabin may be located on any deck of the ship.

you got what you paid for, actually more.

Because you did not research properly and accepted the cabin/upgrade prior to sail, even with reservations about doing so, it is no one's fault but yours.

Sorry

And four, I did object to my travel agent as soon as we saw the room. I take responsibility for taking his advice, but Carnival simply shouldn't sell the room at the same price. I wanted - and paid for - a full, 180 degree, unobstructed balcony; I didn't get it.

Ummm on a normal balcony... isn't there a wall on each side of you and a ceiling above you? Only on a 9a can you expect to have more. AND as a Canadian.... burrrr.... I see enuff snow and ice.

First, yes, we did book a guarantee - an 8A guarantee, which we would have been happy with had we received it.

There you have it, You booked Guaranteed, If you was happy with an 8A why go guaranteed. Carnival has nothing to do with your Selection, its between you and your TA. Your TA should of explained to you what a Guaranteed Stateroom is all about. If you dont care where you will be staying and want a "possible upgrade" (Not Always Guaranteed) then sure go Guarantee, but if you want a specific cabin due the its view. You should of then booked a specific cabin. You are fighting a lost battle.

Good Luck.

Fred

But you could still see straight out in front of the balcony, correct? I'd love to see the pictures, too; I think I would be happy with that.

This is exactly correct.

If you are sitting on a chair on either balcony, the view would be almost identical

Heres a picture of the cabin, its looks to me like its totally blocked on the right side, this you can see on Carnivals website under Spirit Deck Plan, Im sure your TA gave you a copy of the Brochure?

Yeah, those are kinda like the balcony cabins they have on Royal Caribbean right next to the hump. My Ta warned me about those cabins.

But if the OP booked gurantee..........that is something you have to accept.

you paid for a BL guarentee, and got an 8I, best baclony you can get without going up in category completely. Standard balconies are 30/35 sq ft. Yours was 60. Complain to your TA and CCL all you want, but with a little research you would have found that there are a couple of cabins that have ths configuration, and if you were that concerened about what you consider the "perfect" view, you should have ponied up the extra $$ and picked your cabin assignment.

This is exactly correct.

If you are sitting on a chair on either balcony, the view would be almost identical

That's true, when you are sitting there is no difference. But if you were to stand at the rail and look towards the front and back of the ship........one side is completly blocked. Not good for sight seeing like Alaska.

you paid for a BL guarentee, and got an 8I, best baclony you can get without going up in category completely. Standard balconies are 30/35 sq ft. Yours was 60. Complain to your TA and CCL all you want, but with a little research you would have found that there are a couple of cabins that have ths configuration, and if you were that concerened about what you consider the "perfect" view, you should have ponied up the extra $$ and picked your cabin assignment.

Bingo! And now, they want money back.... geez

A person decides to book a guarantee and then complains about the cabin assignment........geesh!!!! Don't they kinda think ahead of time that what they will get is what is left over and the rest don't want????? Why else would these cabins be available????

For the trip of a life time, why in the world would anyone take the chance?

My opinion: this is as much the fault of the travel agent as the passenger.

We're getting ready for cruise #23 here and actually changed the cruise to get the perfect cabin---and have NEVER booked a guarantee.

Judy

This is one of those questions based on perception, but I thought I would ask anyway and gather some views.

I am booked on an Extended Balcony (9' x 6') on Pride (Spirit, Legend, Maricle) and am trying to figure out if that is really what I want... or do I want a regular balcony (9' x 4').

I will be sailing down the Pacific Ocean coast to Mexico and back from Long Beach California.

Some pros and cons I've been thinking about are:

Extended Balcony

Pro's:

1) Large balcony that allows you to actually walk around each other... or maybe use a lounge chair (if they provide them).

2) More room for sex... :p

Cons:

1) View down below balcony is of the life boats... not the water.

2) Less than 180 degree view from railing.

3) Possibly more shade (it will be Mid May).

Regular Balcony

Pro's:

1) Better 180 degree view when at the railing.

2) Better view of the water below you racing away from the ship.

3) More sun to sit in (it will be Mid May).

Cons:

1) smaller balcony makes it more difficult actually walk around each other... and no lounge chair available.

2) less room for sex... :eek:

3) Less bragging rights.

Let's here what you have to say...

Archived