Is Renting a Car a Good Idea??

mresend

I was searching the boards to get some information on Antigua since we have never been there. There are some suggestions for renting a car for the day and tour our selfs . Price I have read about is $57.00 for Car $12.00 insurance,I believe we would need a Antigua Drivers License and where do we get that from? At first I did not think I wanted to do this but it might be a good thing. Rental was from Hertz and I read they meet you at the pier. Has any of you experienced renting a car and is this island safe to go exploring on our own? I guess we would get a map. On this island we would like to go to Runaway Beach and explore the island. Any Information? Suggestions? or Comments? will be welcome.:)

From what I read you get the license at the rental company, I am also looking info, maps of Antigua. Lots of rental agencies, I e-mailed a few but no responses yet. :( HAve you talked with Hertz? Getting the car early has been a problem for us. We like to get off as early as possible, let the fun begin! :D We got a map in the mail from Dominica, trying to get one for our other ports before we sail so we can make a plan of attack.:rolleyes: If ya find out anything please post, we will!

It seems that very few people rent cars or at least very few cruise critics rent cars. I've been trying to get information forever and don't really get any responses. I am going to call Hertz and Avis and see what happens. I leave Oct. 1 so I will post when I return if I rent a car.

From what I read you get the license at the rental company, I am also looking info, maps of Antigua. Lots of rental agencies, I e-mailed a few but no responses yet. :( Have you talked with Hertz? Getting the car early has been a problem for us. We like to get off as early as possible, let the fun begin! :D We got a map in the mail from Dominica, trying to get one for our other ports before we sail so we can make a plan of attack.:rolleyes: If you find out anything please post, we will!

North Carolina Cruiser,

I will be contacting hertz today- I will let you know what I find out. How did you get a map from Dominica? We are also going there on our October cruise with princess but i think that will me some type of excursion. I also need a plan of attack- My husband thinks we can just go there and figure it out but I need to know what we are doing ahead of time. I will keep you updated- Thanks

Go to the website Ren1216 posted above, go to the bottom of the page where it has forums, go to Antigua, on the left side you will see car rentals, click and it will list the different car rental companies and the local numbers. Happy hunting, Laura

I have made calls to Hertz, Avis and Dollar Rent a Car. Dollar is sold out on my date (Oct. 5) but does have some locations in Antigua, the closest one being on Nevis St. in St. Johns. Avis has cars available only at the airport and at Mamora Bay? There is no delivery service to the port. Hertz does have delivery to the port area but the agent wasn't sure about drop off because it didn't specifically state anything about it. The biggest car they have is the Suzuki Vitara which seats 5 people.

I got this back from an agency I e-mailed, check the price of the driving permit also.

From: "Mc Intyre Bros. Ltd." <macford@caribsurf.com>To: Vernon LeeDate: Friday - September 8, 2006 11:10 AMSubject: Re: Car rentalimgattach.gifMime.822 (2296 bytes) [View] [save As] Dear Vernon

We can meet you at the port at 8:00am.

Honda CRV for one day US$60.00

CDW insurance US$12.00

5% Govt tax US$ 3.50

Local driving permit US$12.00

Total for the day rental US$87.50

Please advise if this is acceptable and we will reserve the car for you and

send you a map.

Await your reply.

Sincerely

Anne Campbell

McIntyre Bros Auto Rentals

Tele 473 444 1555

Fax 473 444 2899

macford@caribsurf.com

www.caribbeanhorizons.com

Hope this helps:)

Hey everybody. I am the one who posted our day in Antigua (the link above)

Renting and driving a car in Antigua was a breeze. I called the 800 international number for Hertz and spoke with a human being (it's easier for me ). Since we rented cars on Antigua, St. Maarten and in San Juan - it was one-stop shopping :)

In order to have the car delivered to the port area - you must reserve thru the main office. I then CALLED the main office direct and confirmed that they had the reservation and would indeed bring the car to us. A few days before we left (we went to San Juan a few days precruise) I called again to RECONFIRM (I don't like surprises).

They brought the almost brand new Suzuki Vitara to a small hotel located maybe a half a block in from the pier. 2-3 minute walk at most. The customer service rep (Vivian) was really nice and filled out all the paperwork for us including a temp drivers license for dh and off we went.

We met her back at the same spot at 4:00 and gave her the keys and off we went to shop at the pier stores :D

We loved Antigua - very nice people. It is so hard to really explore and get to experience someplace when on a bus with 50 other people. So we try to go it on our own whenever we can.... it just takes planning. We also ordered a map online. Can't remember where - I just did a search and looked around. Paid $4.00 I think. The roads are pretty good. Once out of town not much traffic AT ALL. Pretty much one main road runs a circle around the island. Don't miss Fig Tree Drive !! Any other questions - I will check back in a day or two

Texancruzer you may have saved a life! :eek: Thanks for providing the info and bailing me out:) The natives were getting restless:rolleyes: What else on the island should I not miss? I heard about Fig Tree Drive from every source I looked on the net. Where is that one hidden away spot?

I don't really know what interests you have but this was our day .... we just headed up to the church on the hill first (you will see it when you dock) as my best friend loves old churches..... we walked in just in time to see the all girl school from across the street begin choir practice. Oh my - that was a treat. They were really very good and their voices in the church was well - heavenly. Unique church on the inside - looks like Noahs ark with barrel roof and balconies all in beautiful mahogany. Then we headed out of town and made a bee line to Long Bay to spend a few hours at the beach. Really nice beach - white sand and blue clear water. Reefs are starting to get a little tourist worn but ok snorkling. A few vendors with booths and some burger huts with great fries and cold drinks. We rented 2 chaises and an umbrella. Then down the main road towards the southern tip. We did not stop at Nelsons Dockyard but did stop at another small church at a large bend in the road...... then to Fig Tree Drive..... it was on the map we had (if not just ask anybody) You will know because of the lush trees (banana, huge avocado trees, palms etc etc) there is a small rainforest area but unless you know where it is you will miss it.....unpaved pretty much unmarked road. There is a small roadside stand right next to the entrance. We stopped there and bought some pineapple jam and some other handmade souveniers from a lady named Elaine.....she even let us use her restroom in her home !! Then over to the west coast and back up to port. We would stop sometimes for a great pic or if there was something of interest to us but just really enjoyed the scenery. One tip: since you are driving on the left hand side and if you have never done it - remember to stay left when you turn. However there are alot of what they call ROUNDABOUTS instead of turns. Can be a little tricky if you havent done these...... just think going in stay left and coming out stay left and you will do ok.

Have a great time on Antigua. Glad I could help

YEA! I got my packet from Antigua, :) several rental agencies listed, Hertz head office on Antigua 268-481-4440, Dollar 268-462-0362, toll free 800-800-4000, LocalsTiti 268-460-1023 e-mail titi@candw.ag, Lion 268-562-2708 e-mail brownrm@candw.ag Hope this helps out! Can sombody tell me where cades reef is? Is this best place to snorkel?:confused:

Archived