Duplicate Ship Names for Carnival & RCCL

HUNNY BUN

What's up with this? Carnival and RCCL have both named their two newest ships the same (Liberty and Freedom). Why would they want to do this? This seems to make it a bit confusing.

This was just a thought I had. Anyone got any answers?

Thanks!!

Carnival Spirit - 01/18/07

"Of the Seas" makes all the difference :p LOL

Actually, if you look at the lines out there, there are many duplicate names... don't know why, but most of the time, if you state the name of the line in front of the ship there won't be any confusion :D

I realize the full names are a little different (Carnival Freedom vs. Freedom of the Seas), and I know there are other duplicates out there, it just seems odd that they are both using these two names at the same time.

Thanks for your input!!

I realize the full names are a little different (Carnival Freedom vs. Freedom of the Seas), and I know there are other duplicates out there, it just seems odd that they are both using these two names at the same time.

Thanks for your input!!

I'm sure they didn't coordinate :D Companies plan names of ships in advance... there is usually a "theme" you can recognize...

Thanks for your input!!

Nothing odd about it, how many towns in the USA have a State Street, or Main Street or Lake street. It is human nature to seek out familiarity, there are major themes that all cruise companies are trying to tie into, it is just good business. How many high school teams in the US have the mascot "Eagles" - thousands!

Nothing odd about it, how many towns in the USA have a State Street, or Main Street or Lake street. It is human nature to seek out familiarity, there are major themes that all cruise companies are trying to tie into, it is just good business. How many high school teams in the US have the mascot "Eagles" - thousands!

I think the point about town names and high school teams are irrelavant to what the OP means. Its kind of odd that 2 major competitors would both name their newest products the same. I have yet to see 2 different car companies name their brand new SUVs the same name.

I think the point about town names and high school teams are irrelavant to what the OP means. Its kind of odd that 2 major competitors would both name their newest products the same. I have yet to see 2 different car companies name their brand new SUVs the same name.

That is exactly what I was addressing, it is not odd, if you took twenty different companies and had them think up ship names without knowing what the other groups are doing, they are going to have repetitions.

Why they choose to use repetitive names is a business decision for pushing a theme with cruisers.

The name "Explorer" has been used by car companies beside Ford to name a vehicle, so it does happen with SUV's, there are many other examples where competitors have done this as well.

Trademarking has limited this, cruise ships companies, having International registries, don't have trademark issues - simple!

Archived