Thrown off Ship in Turkey

newhampshiregirl

"experienced cruisers who were quite literally dumped in a hospital in a small village in the middle of Turkey"

May we know which port this was ???

The port was Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey which is described as a 'sleeping fishing village'.

Yes, I think we all learned a little something about being prepared when cruising.

I find this appalling that Princess had no more concern for their welfare than to just get them off the ship and be done with them!

Charging them $200. to pack? They are already paid by Princess as employees, why are they charging for this, it makes no sense. :rolleyes:

It certainly makes me more aware of what I need to be doing when I cruise. Next time I will make myself an emergency kit containing my insurance policy, passport, credit card and be sure and always have the daily ship's paper for the port with the port agent's phone number and have a phone that will call from that port. These are just things we don't usually think about when we are having a relaxing cruise.

I'm glad your mother and her friend got home okay, I'm sure they are happy to be back home. I hope that they are able to recoup some of their money from their insurance and from Princess.

Although the woman friend (both of us elderly) with whom I was traveling laughed, I had printed out the embassy information and emergency phone numbers for each port of our Baltic cruise. Also took the Platter with the port agent number each day. And, although we had travel insurance for the cruise, I took an extra credit card, in addition to AmEx and the one Princess was charging, with a very high limit for just this type of emergency, having called the credit card company to inform it of such possible use. If there was any question about having to pay first and

be reimbursed later, I wanted to be able to cover medivac, new airline tickets, an extended stay in a hospital or hotel, etc. etc. Better to have it and not need it....

Didn't need my raincoat, slicker, poncho, or umbrella either:)

The port was Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey which is described as a 'sleeping fishing village'.

We were there in June. Kusadasi itself has modern facilities so I am sure the gentleman was able to receive modern medical care. It is not a sleepy little village.

share.dell.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGPE

Kusadasi.- see for yourself.

We flew in and out of Izmir- about 40 minutes away on decent highways. The airport itself was small-reminds me of the one at Islip on Long Island. But we flew 737's on Turkist air both ways(again they served food on both flights). This is also the port where the infamous RC balcony death was reported. There is a US consular officer there.

Turns out I have a picture of the entrance to the airport

http://www.share.dell.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGPV

So pleased to read they are safely back home. It was a very bad experience.

I think we all should remember the saying (I think it is an Native American Indian saying), that in order to understand someone - "you must first walk a mile in that persons shoes"

Sometimes those shoes can be very uncomfortable.

Archived