Vancouver Hotel for 2007

tapia

We stayed at the Westin Bayshore on a vacation in 2003, and really liked that hotel. I booked it for June 2007 using Starwood points. Some people have gotten that hotel on Priceline, but there is no guarantee that you'll get any particular hotel, or any hotel at all, depending on availability.

I, too, just couldn't take the Priceline system and doubts............booked the Marriott Pinnacle. We had a fantastic view (saw our ship!) and just wheeled our luggage from there to the ship the morning of our cruise.

We walked to Canada Place the evening before and checked out the best way to get our luggage down to the cruise entrance level, etc.........and then crossed the street to dine at Aqua Riva.

I love the advice I find on this website!!:p

I, too, just couldn't take the Priceline system and doubts............booked the Marriott Pinnacle. We had a fantastic view (saw our ship!) and just wheeled our luggage from there to the ship the morning of our cruise.

We walked to Canada Place the evening before and checked out the best way to get our luggage down to the cruise entrance level, etc.........and then crossed the street to dine at Aqua Riva.

I love the advice I find on this website!!:p

Did you get in on priceline / hotwire or directly through the site??

Did you get in on priceline / hotwire or directly through the site??

I took KAYEF's "I, too, just couldn't take the Priceline system and doubts............booked the Marriott Pinnacle" - to mean that she reserved it the usual way - either paying for the room or using Marriott points. (I think probably the former.)

After determining the hotel I wanted (Marriott Pinnacle) I priced it at every site I could find

and

booked it through AAA...............best price.

The room, the gym, the view, the beds..........everything was first class.

I would stay there again.

We took a limo from the airport...........learned about that on here as well.

It was comfortable, fast, no wait (we arrived about two p.m.) and a grand start to our vacation. $39. CAD plus 6% tax;) That's the price from the airport to the downtown area............anywhere.

Has anyone had trouble getting a Vancouver hotel for 2007 (beginning of July).

Are there great places to stay over others?

Thanks!

We are cruising July 07 and tried to book the Pan Pacific for that time -- nothing, Sutton Place -- nothing, Fairmont -- nothing.

Settled for the Sheraton Wall Centre because we felt, well we better book something and didn't really want to mess around with the uncertainty of Priceline, especially since the 3 hotels we called right off the bat were booked.

I have another question regarding hotels in Vancouver, we will be doing a SB cruise ending in Vancouver and are thinking about spending one night after our cruise exploring Vancouver. Where woulkd be the best place to book a hotel? We don't have to be close to the cruise port since we will have already taken our cruise but I would like to be in an area that is closer to some of the attractions. We won't be renting a car but taking the bus. The thing is is that I have vacationed twice in Vancouver but we stayed on campus since my nephew was going to college there and my brother-in-law rented and drove the car so I really wasn't paying much attention to the hotels. So any advice would really be aprreiciated. Thank you.

Most of these hotels probably simply haven't opened their bookings for 2007 yet so that's why you're not seeing availability. For our August 2006 trip, I only booked the Sutton Place in April 2006 for less than $200/night via Hotwire. If you're a worrier, you should make a cancellable reservation somewhere now, but wait until the hotel "deals" start happening later. Unlike the cruise, you usually don't get the best deals booking hotels (or air) way in advance. The only thing you need to do well in advance is if you want to use frequent stay/flyer program points.

Unlike the cruise, you usually don't get the best deals booking hotels (or air) way in advance. The only thing you need to do well in advance is if you want to use frequent stay/flyer program points.

For some things - way in advance is much less expensive. I booked our June 2007 car rental with Hertz in Anchorage in June 2006. The weekly rate for the same car has gone up ~ $100 since then. I also booked hotels in Anchorage and Fairbanks for June 2007 as soon as they were available (about 50 weeks out), and got the Springhill Suites in both cities for under $100/night. The Springhill Suites in Anchorage is now about $100 more per night, and the one in Fairbanks isn't available to be booked now.

For some things - way in advance is much less expensive. I booked our June 2007 car rental with Hertz in Anchorage in June 2006. The weekly rate for the same car has gone up ~ $100 since then. I also booked hotels in Anchorage and Fairbanks for June 2007 as soon as they were available (about 50 weeks out), and got the Springhill Suites in both cities for under $100/night. The Springhill Suites in Anchorage is now about $100 more per night, and the one in Fairbanks isn't available to be booked now.
Perhaps, but you don't know that prices won't drop in the upcoming months either. I was mainly addressing someone's concern that the 5-star Pan Pacific and Sutton Place hotels in Vancouver were "not showing availability" and this is probably because they haven't opened or released their 2007 inventory yet. Hotwire and Priceline, probably the best way to get cheap hotel space, don't even have inventory of rooms yet for next summer. Thus, IMHO if you want the best DEAL for a good Vancouver hotel for next summer, it is way too early to book and would wait until early 2007.

Perhaps, but you don't know that prices won't drop in the upcoming months either. I was mainly addressing someone's concern that the 5-star Pan Pacific and Sutton Place hotels in Vancouver were "not showing availability" and this is probably because they haven't opened or released their 2007 inventory yet. Hotwire and Priceline, probably the best way to get cheap hotel space, don't even have inventory of rooms yet for next summer. Thus, IMHO if you want the best DEAL for a good Vancouver hotel for next summer, it is way too early to book and would wait until early 2007.

I agree with you about prices and availability in Vancouver. However, I booked our Vancouver hotel (Westin Bayshore) a couple of weeks ago using Starwood points. That's the hotel I want, and I'm not tempted to try Priceline.

I don't think Anchorage hotel prices or rental car prices will come down, because they don't have to. The exception is the few hotel rooms that might end up on Priceline in Anchorage, but bet those will be last minute deals.

I agree with you about prices and availability in Vancouver. However, I booked our Vancouver hotel (Westin Bayshore) a couple of weeks ago using Starwood points. That's the hotel I want, and I'm not tempted to try Priceline.

I don't think Anchorage hotel prices or rental car prices will come down, because they don't have to. The exception is the few hotel rooms that might end up on Priceline in Anchorage, but bet those will be last minute deals.

It's important to understand that pricing for hotel, car rental, airline and cruises are driven purely by supply and demand. Using very sophisticated load management strategies they price based on expected bookings or sales. If bookings or sales at a specific price point don't meet projections, prices will go down to spur additional sales, and vice versa. Priceline and Hotwire are used by airlines and hotels to get rid of EXCESS inventory, i.e. seats or rooms they cannot sell at regular published rates. The very fact that plenty of inventory exists on Priceline or Hotwire means that there is alot of downward price pressure due to competition. Thus nobody can be certain that prices will go or down for anything.

My main point is that, this far in advance, it is too early to predict the direction of pricing (and there is no evidence that booking early is best), but it is certain that your choices are more limited. So for those that want the best room rate on the Westin Bayshore, Pan Pacific and Sutton Place, I'd definitely wait. Same applies to airfare--who'd book their flight, for example, this far in advance?

My main point is that, this far in advance, it is too early to predict the direction of pricing (and there is no evidence that booking early is best), but it is certain that your choices are more limited. So for those that want the best room rate on the Westin Bayshore, Pan Pacific and Sutton Place, I'd definitely wait. Same applies to airfare--who'd book their flight, for example, this far in advance?

When there is no penalty for cancelling a car rental or hotel reservation made way in advance - I see no reason NOT to book some things early. You can always go back later and get the lower rate if prices drop.

So far this is what I've reserved for our June 2007 cruise plus land trip: Plane tickets (FF miles); car rentals in Vancouver and Anchorage (went up $100/week in Anchorage since I booked); hotels in Vancouver, Anchorage (2 different nights), and Seward (all free using hotel points); B&B in Healy (got 2006 price by booking early). As I posted above - I reserved 1 night at Springhill Suites in Anchorage for a Sat. in June 2007 for $75/night. It's $156/night now, and I doubt it will go back to $75 - unless it ends up in Priceline or Hotwire's inventory late next spring.

According to the CC poster "greatam" - Oct./Nov. is the best time to book Alaska flights for 2007. However, for anyone using FF miles, you really need to book the flights as soon as they open up - which is about 331 days out. I had all my flights on hold with American Airlines...just waiting for Alaska Airlines to release their Anchorage - Seattle FF seats. I went on vacation, and by the time I checked with AA the following week, all the FF coach seats on Alaska Airlines for the date I needed were gone! I ended up booking first class seats, which is fine for those long flights, but availability for coach FF seats is quite limited.

When there is no penalty for cancelling a car rental or hotel reservation made way in advance - I see no reason NOT to book some things early. You can always go back later and get the lower rate if prices drop.

So far this is what I've reserved for our June 2007 cruise plus land trip: Plane tickets (FF miles); car rentals in Vancouver and Anchorage (went up $100/week in Anchorage since I booked); hotels in Vancouver, Anchorage (2 different nights), and Seward (all free using hotel points); B&B in Healy (got 2006 price by booking early). As I posted above - I reserved 1 night at Springhill Suites in Anchorage for a Sat. in June 2007 for $75/night. It's $156/night now, and I doubt it will go back to $75 - unless it ends up in Priceline or Hotwire's inventory late next spring.

According to the CC poster "greatam" - Oct./Nov. is the best time to book Alaska flights for 2007. However, for anyone using FF miles, you really need to book the flights as soon as they open up - which is about 331 days out. I had all my flights on hold with American Airlines...just waiting for Alaska Airlines to release their Anchorage - Seattle FF seats. I went on vacation, and by the time I checked with AA the following week, all the FF coach seats on Alaska Airlines for the date I needed were gone! I ended up booking first class seats, which is fine for those long flights, but availability for coach FF seats is quite limited.

I am very happy for you and you're obviously very satisfied with your itinerary, reservations and pricing. You will certainly save tons of money using all those frequent flyer/stayer points that the rest of us do not have. And I never disagreed that it isn't a good idea to go ahead and book a hotel and car rental as far in advance as possible as they are all cancellable--this should be obvious to all.

However, to stay on topic, the OP asked about several luxury Vancouver hotels, their limited 2007 availability and pricing. At the risk of repeating myself, I'm trying to say, "don't panic" and wait a bit until all these big hotels open their full inventory for the 2007 season.

However, to stay on topic, the OP asked about several luxury Vancouver hotels, their limited 2007 availability and pricing. At the risk of repeating myself, I'm trying to say, "don't panic" and wait a bit until all these big hotels open their full inventory for the 2007 season.

I will be going ahead & booking a hotel that I'm able to cancel. Then I'm going to book something through Hotwire if I can. Do you know when their 'full inventory' becomes available or when to be bidding?

Thanks

I will be going ahead & booking a hotel that I'm able to cancel. Then I'm going to book something through Hotwire if I can. Do you know when their 'full inventory' becomes available or when to be bidding?

Thanks

I just checked and I booked the Sutton Place through Hotwire on 5/12/06 for a 8/5/06 stay for $165+taxes+fees=$199.59. I recommend you check Hotwire or Priceline every few weeks until inventory for downtown Vancouver begins to show up. I honestly don't know when the best time to bid/buy for the best value is--it's really a crap-shoot! Also, if you are not familiar with Priceline or Hotwire strategies, be sure to check out www.betterbidding.com so you can reference other people's bid strategies (for Priceline) or hotel/amenity listings (for Hotwire). Good luck and enjoy Vancouver! I probably enjoyed Vancouver as much as the Alaska cruise or land tour itself! :)

Archived