Considering First Solo Cruise - October

Agent 99

Hello everyone.

Glad to be joining your forum. :)

I am thinking of going solo on a cruise this October. I have vacation coming up, but my husband has to work.

Originally I was trying to plan a girls only cruise for this time, but could not get anyone to commit. You know the deal, everyone wants to, but they can't get the time off, or they don't have the money, or they have other commitments.

I was disappointed, and then dropped it.

I have a very stressful job, and was thinking of what to do on my Oct. vacation. I thought to myself, hmm I wish I had someone to cruise with. Then I thought, GO BY YOURSELF.

I was nervous, but now I'm getting a little excited. A cabin to myself is heaven. My husband doesn't mind me going off on my own.

I love to relax and read. I also like to do my own thing at times. Cruises are the best. I've enjoyed them with my hub, with a friend and my family. But I found I wanted to do things (or not) and my companions weren't interested. OR, I felt like I had to hang with them all the time when I just wanted to daydream, or read.

The only cruise ship available for my time off is the Norwegian Dawn. I've cruised on that ship with my husband. The price is high, but I don't even care. I kind of like that it is a big ship and I can blend in with the crowd.

Has anyone cruised solo on the freestyle ships? How was dinner? This is the only thing I feel awkward about.

Thanks for any opinions, etc.

Agent 99, Good on you for taking the solo plunge! It isn't nearly as difficult as people who haven't done it think it is. I went solo on NCL's Dream last summer to Alaska and am going on NCL's Majesty solo in October. Free Style dining is very good for solos in that you can ask to join others or dine on your own. As I've posted before, I would ask to share for breakfast and made some very nice friends that way. One pair of ladies I met at breakfast and I dined at dinner a number of times, as well as spending time together on the cruise. Other times I dined with another couple I met and the rest of the time I dined on my own, which I also enjoy.

People are so friendly on a cruise that you can't help but meet people and once they find out you are solo, many will "adopt" you. Also, check CC's roll call board for your cruise so you will meet some folks before you go. Many CC roll calls (maybe even all) usually get together for a cocktail party on the ship and many dine as a group.

I think the Dawn is bigger and flashier than the Dream or Majesty but I'm sure the on-ship service will be as excellent as I had on the Dream. For my second cruise (this Oct) I wanted another small ship because I feared getting lost in the crowd on a bigger one but next year's Panama cruise will be on RC's Serenade which carries, I think, around 2,000 PAX, so I'm slowly increasing the size.

In any case, I'm sure you will have a great time! Beware, solo cruising can be addictive! ;-)) Let us know how your first solo cruise went!

Hi Ginnie

I can totally believe that solo cruising is addicting. I am thinking that if this one goes ok, there are so many others I want to go on. lol

Being on my own for a week, being catered to, relaxing, enjoying the sun. What's not to love?

I spend all my time caring for others (I'm a nurse) that I think it's time to take care of me. I can't remember the last time I did something just for me, without anyone else to consider. (it had to be before I got married)

thanks for the encouragement.

Agent 99,

You should be able to find other ships besides side NCL Dawn in October. I have 2 cruises booked solo for Oct and it is a good month to cruise in my opinion. I am guessing you want to cruise out of NY and that is why the Dawn fits the bill. You may be able to get a much better rate on another ship out of FLL or MIA and the savings would pay for the airfare but that is just a maybe. I am not familiar with airfare out of NY to FL. Princess, HAL and Carnival (1A deals out there) offer 150% supp's quite often. Occasionally you can find that on RCCL but it is harder to find. Every time I have looked into a single rate on NCL it seems quite high and I have done one in Hawaii but it was 200%.

Hi Ginnie

I can totally believe that solo cruising is addicting. I am thinking that if this one goes ok, there are so many others I want to go on. lol

Being on my own for a week, being catered to, relaxing, enjoying the sun. What's not to love?

I spend all my time caring for others (I'm a nurse) that I think it's time to take care of me. I can't remember the last time I did something just for me, without anyone else to consider. (it had to be before I got married)

thanks for the encouragement.

Agent 99, Oh, I forgot to mention as a solo (especially a woman solo) you will be even more pampered by the crew, both men and women. The crew on the Dream took such great care of me. Every time I walked into Lucky's everyone called out my name like they did Norm on the old tv show Cheers! The folks at LeBistro got to know me and were incredible, as well. In fact, wherever I dined, drank or just hung around the crew were so welcoming and kept an eye on me in case I needed/wanted anything or was bothered by a male PAX. And when I just wanted quiet on my own, I got that, too.

I agree with Snowbird that there are other cruises in Oct. For instance, I'm sailing out of Boston on 10/8 for a 12-night cruise. Even as a solo I got a excellent price for a superior outside cabin, around $130 a night. You could come on the Majesty! The roll call for this cruise is small but there are a couple of us (one has a group of 14!) who are active on the board.

Hi going on my first solo cruise in less than a week. I will let you know how it goes but really looking forward to having some time alone, doing whatever I want, etc.

Have travelled solo in the past and enjoyed it - so now going to try the solo cruise.

Agent 99, Oh, I forgot to mention as a solo (especially a woman solo) you will be even more pampered by the crew, both men and women. The crew on the Dream took such great care of me. Every time I walked into Lucky's everyone called out my name like they did Norm on the old tv show Cheers! The folks at LeBistro got to know me and were incredible, as well. In fact, wherever I dined, drank or just hung around the crew were so welcoming and kept an eye on me in case I needed/wanted anything or was bothered by a male PAX. And when I just wanted quiet on my own, I got that, too.

I agree with Snowbird that there are other cruises in Oct. For instance, I'm sailing out of Boston on 10/8 for a 12-night cruise. Even as a solo I got a excellent price for a superior outside cabin, around $130 a night. You could come on the Majesty! The roll call for this cruise is small but there are a couple of us (one has a group of 14!) who are active on the board.

Take it from a previous solo cruiser that you indeed get extra pampering by the crew. My waiters and room steward made sure I had a great time. I was truly treated like a princess....so enjoy yourself and let the pampering begin!!!

• 5 months later...

Hello,

Sorry I never came back to this thread, but thank you for all the replies.

I never did go solo on a cruise. :( I wound up going to the Bahamas with two friends in December, we had a great time.

Maybe one day I will cruise solo.

My husband and I have a cruise planned for 3/17 on the Glory now. Love cruises!

Archived