MSC Opera - December 16, 2006 - 17 day Cruise

Ruth

Hello,

Has anyone booked this cruise yet? Or anyone been on this cruise before...We are looking at booking this cruise.

Question? - There are 3 of us. My Husband, myself and our 17 yr old son.

We are a bit concern booking a room for 3 people for 17 days -Anyone have any thoughts on this issue. We have asked for prices on inside rooms and outside rooms for 3 people.

We are also working on family and friends that would want to go so we could put him in a room with another person. We did this in March of 06 on a 7 day cruise. He was fine. We were proud of him. He made it to dinner on time every night. He is 6' 4" and blond and 17yr old also a good kid. Wish there was a message board on line were other singles looking for someone to share a room with on cruise ships. My husband and I would rather have our own room. Does anyone know of such a site on-line. I am sure there are others on the same ship with same problem. Families traveling and having to book rooms for a triple. 17 days is a long time for 3 people to be in one room.

All the Best. Happy Cruising!!!!

Hi Ruth-

My husband and I did the Transatlantic on Opera last March.Wonderful ship-could hardly feel the sea.Loved the service,the food,very international ambience.However,we are retired and into a quiet experience.I'm not quite sure your 17 yr old son would get as much out of it,although over Christmas there may be more kids his age on board.They don't really cater to younger people as well as some of the other lines like Royal Caribbean.In addition,do not get a cabin for 3 people-you'll kill each other! The cabins are small overall on the Opera-fine for 2,but not for 3.Even the suites are not that much larger.As I said,I think you and your husband will enjoy this ship,but find out if any other teenagers are booking.

Lia

Hi Ruth:

We took the Opera April of 2005 and lovede it so much we took her again this past December from Genoa to Florida. Iur trip did not fall over Christmas however. We did spend New Year's Eve in Funchal which was incredible. We went with our 26 year old son and shared a cabin. Our son is 6'9" and 26 years old. While it was "cozy" in the cabin we made out just fine for our 17 day cruise. Our son being young did not spend much time in the cabin anyway. It was merely a place for him to get a few hours of sleep. We decided each day who was going to shower and when. Over New Year's he found several young people from the states and there were alot of Italian families with two or three generations on the ship, many of which spoke english. If your son has cruised before and is outgoing I think he will find at least two or three other people his age to hang with (if not more).

I hope this answers your questions.

Lia did you go to the cruise critic parties on the Opera? If so we have met.

Both letters were very helpful. Our son has done about 9 cruise with us. We never see him on cruise except dinner and of course when we go to shore. We do have rules. We do ask for him to check in with us. Our son is very out going. And wouldn't be in the cabin except to sleep and of course getting ready for dinner...I think that is my main concern. Getting ready for dinner. Thanks again for your input.

All the Best!

Hi Ruth-

Sorry,but there are no self service laundries on board the Opera.We brought tons of underwear,and just rinsed out what we needed.We never used their laundry service,so I don't know how much they charge.We did ok-most of my stuff was permanent press,anyway.As far as roommates go,check out the solo traveler section on cruise critic.I've seen people searching for cabin mates there.

I haven't gone to cruise critic parties,so I haven't met anyone.We are taking another MSC cruise for Thanksgiving on the Lirica-We live in Florida,so we'll just drive to Port Everglades and jump on the ship for 11 days!I'd be glad to answer anymore questions you may have on the Opera.

hi Ruth. I have just booked the same cruise as you going with my mum, my husband and 2 children. I haven't been on the opera before but travelled on ocean village last year and we split into 2 rooms my husband and my son (then 14) in one and my mum, daughter (then 8) and I in the other and we did fine, not cramped at all. My son will be almost 16 when we travel and makes friends very quickly so don't worry about your son i am sure there will be lots of others their age as well. Happy cruising

Archived