Maya Palms Resort In Majahul

Rasta Pirate

What's up with the Maya Palms resort? There used to be a LOT of discussion on this board about it, but I haven't seen it mentioned here now in quite some time.

Has anyone been there recently? Or know why it's no longer being discussed?

Is it still a great place to dive?, and for others in my group to hang out at the pool?

Thanx much forany replies.

RP

I was at the Maya Palms resort this past Feb and had a great time. I'd highly recommend it. I did a dive out on the reef, saw some great fish and one huge ray. The family stayed back, enjoyed the fresh water pool, played on the beach and then we all enjoyed their cruisers special lunch and beverages. It was like having a private resort away from the cruise ship. I'd highly recommend it.;)

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last Friday. Heaven on earth! So peaceful and quiet. This is an excerpt from my review.

We made reservations at the Maya Palms Resort. Another wise choice! If you want a beautiful secluded area without the crowds of people OR the beach vendors harassing you, this is it! They have a freshwater pool with umbrellas and chairs. We were the first ones to arrive so we claimed the large area under the shade of the palapa for the day. Another heavenly day! If you are looking for a place with crystal clear water for snorkeling, this is not the place. There is thick sea grass for about 30 yards out so we never even entered the water. But the resort itself is just beautiful and so peaceful! The service is great, too. Be sure to climb to the top of the pyramid for some excellent photos! You will need to take a cab to get there. In order to grab one, go through the terminal and go OUT THROUGH THE CHAIN LINK FENCE gate area. Keep walking until you see the yellow cabs on the corner. Do not use any of the transportation inside the terminal. Even though we told them we needed to go to Maya Palms, they kept trying to tell us that they would take us “someplace better”. My gut told me to keep walking, and it was a good thing we did.

When you arrive at Maya Palms, the manager, Pedro, will come out to greet you. Have him tell the taxi driver to come back at your designated time and that you will pay him upon return to the pier. Otherwise, there’s no guarantee that you will have a ride back since it is so far away from the pier. They don’t like to drive out there. The taxi drivers will act like they don’t speak English but they really do. As soon as he told us he didn’t speak English, he immediately asked my friend where we were from in very good English.

They also have scuba diving excursions from this resort. Maya Palms is actually managed by a company in St. Louis. The owner lives in St. Louis, but spends a lot of time at the resort. He was there the day we visited. Very nice staff!

• 3 weeks later...

Our family of 7 were at the Maya Palms on Friday Oct 13. It was wonderful. 3 of us went on the snorkel tour with lunch and the other 4 stayed at the resort. The snorkle tour was fantastic. It's a beautiful coral reef about 300 yards off shore. The lunch was great and the pool was large and clean. There were only 4 other people at the resort. It was paradise. I would recommend this excursion to anyone who would like to avoid that tourist trap at the pier and that disgusting, filthy pool.

It costs $32 a person for the beach getaway and $45 a person for the snorkle tour and beach getaway

How did you book the snorkle tour? Once you where there or ahead of time? Did they feed you lunch out on the boat?

What all was included in the beach getaway?

Thanks for your help!

Hi. We were just at Maya Palms on Friday, Oct. 20th. We had a wonderful time. We were part of a group that was diving. There was another group that was snorkeling. Only one group was in the water at a time. The other group was on shore either swimming in their clean freshwater pool, relaxing on the beach or having lunch. My husband and I highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants to snorkel or SCUBA. It's very well run and very organized. It's not at all crowded. However, please make sure you make reservations. Their website is http://www.mayapalms.com. They have a link for cruisers that will get you pricing and contact information. Enjoy.

My experience with Maya Palms Resort was so wonderful it is hard to know where to start. My wife signed up for snorkeling and I signed up for two dives AND the snorkeling excursion. After about a 4 mile jaunt in the cab we were greeted at the entrance by Doug-the owner of the resort-who welcomed us to our 'home in Majahaul.' After passing the child-filled pool at the port and the run down 'Blue Ocean Safaris' scuba shack on the way in the cab, I was relieved to see that Maya Palms was a beautiful full service resort with a personable and professional English speaking staff. We were able to completely escape the chaos and the stress of the hucksters and our fellow cruisers. A small group of about 15 of us had the whole resort (and reef) to ourselves for the entire day. Their restaurant served us great meals and the freshwater pool was excellent. I could continue on about how we loved the resort and how it is great just to escape and relax on their beach-but without question the best feature about the Maya Palms is the reef!!

Perfect for snorkeling AND diving the reef is a 5-minute boat ride from the beach. I am an experienced diver with over 100 dives. I have seen the whole range of scuba outfitters and I can tell you that Maya Palm's boats and rental equipment are very nice, the tanks are properly filled and the divemasters are extremely professional and competent. Both dives were along a canyon filled Coral Shelf ranging from 100'-40'. Visibility was excellent and we saw a moray eel, a huge grouper, and many lobsters, barracuda and reef fish. The canyons were beautiful and you can follow them as they cut through the reef-sheer walls of coral on both sides-one of the most breathtaking environments I have ever experienced! The snorkeling was off the charts amazing. They dropped us in 2 crescent shaped sections of shallow reef and we saw schools of reef fish, a spotted ray, a small turtle, a nice sized trumpet fish, a little squid in the coral and a spotted eel, ALL within two 45 minute snorkeling trips!! This reef is so pristine-there was no other boats, snorkelers or divers anywhere to be seen. My wife is hooked and I'm hoping to have a diving partner in the near future.

To Enrique (our experienced divemaster) Ken (our captain who was always right there to pick us up after our drift dives) and to Doug and Cathy (the owners of this Beautiful Dive Resort): We will be spending a week at your resort as soon as possible. We thank you for an experience of a lifetime.

We're going to be in Costa Maya in Dec.- 3 adults and a 6 year old child. On a previous cruise, one adult stayed on the beach with the child while the others snorkeled and we switched around. Is it possible to do this at Maya Palms or does the boat just go out to the reef once?

We're going to be in Costa Maya in Dec.- 3 adults and a 6 year old child. On a previous cruise, one adult stayed on the beach with the child while the others snorkeled and we switched around. Is it possible to do this at Maya Palms or does the boat just go out to the reef once?

The reef where you snorkle is only a 2 or 3 minute boat ride from the resort. I'm sure you could work out a switch if you ask them. Maya Palms is a beautiful resort. I wish we could spend a week there.

We snorkled at the Maya Palms after making reservations through Island Marketing (costamayacruiseexcursions.com). We used that web site to link to other shore excursions. We used them on three ports. After arriving I wished we had made the effort to arrive earlier rather than wandering around the port (pier). They offered us a $10.00 all you can eat and a $10.00 all you can drink special while we were there. We took advantage of all you can drink ( virgin frozen drinks were what I had) special. Everything that the other folks have said is true. Wonderful place & wonderful people. It is off the beaten path, but the taxis will come back for you. We were nervous when we first arrived, we weren't going to stay without some assurance. The owner Doug said if they don't come back, he had a sixteen passenger van and would drive us back. We stayed and it turned out to be the best shore excursion of our trip.

Is it easy to walk to shops from Maya Palms? We will be there soon and wanted to see if I should do shopping at the pier first or if there are shops in walking distance to resort.
We were there a few years back when it was still Maya Ha. It was quite a drive from the pier & town ....

Hi. It's a good 20 plus minute cab ride to the resort. I would suggest either shopping before you left the pier or upon your return. If you shop before, you will to find a place for your purchases. Either take them back to the ship or take them with you. We shopped on our return from Maya Palms.

Hi Reef Diver. It was a relief to see your recent post. My twins (who will be turning 18 a few days after our 12/16 cruise) are certified divers but not terribly experienced. Does the Dive Master stay with them or what kind of help might they expect with equipment, etc.? Husband and I plan to do the beach break and enjoy pool, etc. while they are out diving. Any more tips for us?

Thanks! Shark Mom

Shark Mom:

The Equipment, Captain and Divemaster were great. The Divemasters are ALWAYS right beside, in front and/or behind you. They helped us gear up at the dive shop right on the shore and we walked right onto the boat that was anchored 15' off the beach. At the diveshop they handed out the rental equipment and helped everyone gear up. The equipment was quite new and of high quality. They even rented out Dive Computers which is pretty rare for a Dive Outfitter in MX. Before we walked to the boat they checked everyone's air and equiment.

On the first dive one couple had problems equalizing and could not descend with the group. One of the two divemasters stayed with them and the other continued to the bottom with the rest of us. The couple and the divemaster swam near the surface above us until they could descend and join us. I was pleased that their problems did not effect my dive and they were pleased that the divemaster gave them the personal attention they needed and allowed them to swim near the surface until they could descend. On the second dive they descended like champs, using the equalization techniques demonstrated by the divemaster. Some outfitters will not provide that level of personal attention and if one person has a problem they will either make the entire group wait or they will send the person with the problem directly to the boat without giving them a chance to solve the problem and rejoin the group. A big 'Thank You' to the Maya Palms Divemasters for handling the situation professionally.

In summary, your children will be in great hands and will have an experience they will always cherish. I look for two things in a DiveMaster-Professionalism and Positive Attitude. These guys really knew what they were doing and I could tell that they were so happy to have provided us with awesome dives. Our hoots and smiles really infected the divemasters and they were truly in their element.

TIPS:

1. Sign up for Snorkeling. It was my wife's first time and she is hooked. The biodiversity and coral formations will amaze.

2. Hibiscus Tea. Yummmmmm

3. Walk around the grounds: They have an unbelievable collection of jungle plants including 100s of orchids, night blooming cereus, various cacti, bananna, lime, and other fruit trees I could not identify. They will let you eat something if it is ripe...just be carefull about the habeneros. These will burn your face off....hehe :)

is the maya resort beach break and the island marketing beach break the same thing? i am so confused. I want to go to maya resort and snorkel but on the island marketing site there is a beach break too. Help I leave in less than a month and i want to pay next week.:confused:

CruiseJunkie2:

Island Marketing is a large vacation planning company who can help you make reservations at many vacation destinations. I believe they offer reservations to the Maya Palms Resort so you may have noticed the same package offered both by the resort as well as Island Marketing.

Personally I booked my dives&snorkeling by calling the resort toll free at the number listed on their fliers (1-888-843-3483). There are links to these fliers at http://www.mayapalms.com/cruisers.htm on the right. It sounds like you are looking for the "Snorkel Excursion."

Hope that Helps!

ReefDiver

Archived