Livorno to Main Train Station

Hi,

Once we get off the ship in Livorno, how do I get to the train station? I am taking the train to Florence. Can I walk to the train station? If so, can someone provide walking directions? If not, do I need to get a taxi?

THanks

: )

Take the shutlle bus in to town, which will drop you off at the square. Turn right getting off the bus and walk back for about 200 yards to the bus station. You want to get a number 1 but you have to cross the road to get it. Go to the newsagent stand and buy your tickets to the railway station. You should validate your ticket by putting it in the little orange machine on the bus but it is often too busy. The railway station is about 2 miles from the bus station.

Remember to validate your train tickets at the machines before boarding the train.

Many of the cruise ships are no longer offering shuttle service to town (the Grand Princess had no shuttles this past May) and even when they do, those shuttles do not get you directly to the train station. Your best bet is to get off the ship as early as possible and ask the taxi drivers for someone to take you to the station. You may have to wait 5 or 10 min, but eventually there will be a driver willing to do the local haul. As I recall it cost about $20 for the entire taxi (not bad when split 4 ways). You will save about $50 per person by using the train vs the cruise line buses to Florence, and you will generally beat the buses into Florence. Its the same situation in Civatavecchia except there is a free shuttle bus from the ships to the port entrance and than its an easy 8 - 10 min walk to the station. Again, you will save over $50 per person vs. cruise line buses.

Hank

Archived