Help! Trying to Pack Lighter

JanineM

Ladies, I need your help!

We leave on our 7-night Caribbean cruise (RCCI) next Sunday, and I'm now packing. I tend to have a horrible habit of taking WAY too much. We're trying to carry less this time, so I am trying to match outfits.

I know that it is hot and sweaty in the Caribbean at this time of year, so it seems reasonable to expect to wear outfits only ONCE during the day.

I thought about packing enough capris and skirts so that I could wear the a pair of capris or a skirt in the evening one night, then pair them with a casual top the next day for shore excursions. I'm also taking shorts for beach days. Does that seem like a reasonable compromise? That would mean taking about 3 pairs of capris, 2 skirts, 3 pairs of shorts, and maybe 10 tops (some for day, some dressier for evening). Of course, I already have my two formals, dress shoes and an evening clutch packed.

Any advice from great packers is appreciated!!!

I packed for a 7 day Florida/Bahamas cruise last year with a carry-on and a tote bag. Besides the obvious, I brought a few pairs of neutral shorts & capris and several tops to match. Shoes take up a lot of space so I wore sandals and took a pair of sneakers. I chose NCL because I did not want to worry about anything formal.

A tip I learned here is to get the 2.5 gallon zip lock bags and neatly put your clothes inside, zip almost closed, and roll the air out and close the bag. This takes up less space.

I know that it is hot and sweaty in the Caribbean at this time of year, so it seems reasonable to expect to wear outfits only ONCE during the day.

I just got back a couple of weeks ago...the only "hot and sweaty" times were during my morning runs on the deck.:p Really, I'd never consider wearing anything other than shorts off the ship. I brought about 4 pair, one pair was a Nautica "board short", actually made to swim in and incredible quick drying. Those things were the best item I took. I did have laundry done once, it's very inexpensive, and it make more sense to me than trying to pack so much. I wore a swimsuit underneath every single day, with a little tank or an unbuttoned overshirt (a very lightweight one - perfect for cruises).

My outfits for dinner tend to be dressier, but except for my formals, lightweight. Think cotton sheath dresses/sundresses. Very comfy, and perfect for informal dining. I wore capris one night only - for a casual night. And I will add a vote for the ziplock bag packing - it works wonders for saving space (but won't do a thing to lighten your load of course!).

Ladies, I need your help!

I thought about packing enough capris and skirts so that I could wear the a pair of capris or a skirt in the evening one night, then pair them with a casual top the next day for shore excursions. I'm also taking shorts for beach days. Does that seem like a reasonable compromise? That would mean taking about 3 pairs of capris, 2 skirts, 3 pairs of shorts, and maybe 10 tops (some for day, some dressier for evening). Of course, I already have my two formals, dress shoes and an evening clutch packed.

Any advice from great packers is appreciated!!!

It's what I do too and I often do 1 laundry load of similar color for underwear and some t-shirts or capris.

I always manage with one medium suitcase and a carry on for a 7 night cruise, including two formal nights.

I personally do not wear capris to the dining room so what the OP suggests as far as rewearing the next day does not work for me. And, yes, it is still hot and sweaty, IMO, as I am in FL and it is very muggy and hot here as well.

I do not wear shorts but prefer sundresses, skirts, pareos, etc. I bring 4-5 daytime outfits and also wear what I wear onto the ship to debark as well. I find that I can re-wear certain items without a problem.

For evening, I prefer dresses and skirts and pack light fabrics that travel easily and do not wrinkle.

I bring 3-4 bathing suits and a set of work out clothes for every day.

I pack similarly to caviargal. I like to dress for dinner each night, to some degree anyway. For our upcoming 7 day I plan to pack seven dinner outfits, four bathing suits, four coverups, 1 shorts, 1 pr bermudas, 2 capris, 1 khaki swirl skirt, and about ten tops (some for dinner), 2 workout outfits, 4 negligees and of course the essentials. We are also staying in Fll one night pre-cruise. I haven't figured out every detail, but have a pretty good idea of what I am taking. I always have a hard time narrowing down the shoes!! With the new onboard regulations, I guess I will have to devote on small suitcase to hair appliances, makeup, and tolietries. We will definitely have four suitcases to check. I have never used the big ziplocks, but will try them out this time. Where do you find those? Thanks, Nancy

You didn't say anything about shoes. OK, how many pairs of shoes are you going to pack?

For the Caribbean, I pack:

one pair running shoes for the gym

two pairs of dressy high heeled sandals for evenings

one pair of medium heeled sandals for evenings

one pair of flip flops

one pair pretty flat sandals

Happysinglemom... Your packing sounds like what I always try to do. Then get insecure at the last moment and throw in everything that I had decided not to bring!

I'm hoping to visit your town again in a couple of years, we loved Juneau (and all of our Alaska cruise!) :)

The best thing for me to do is to make a packing list and stick to it. I hang everything on a rolling rack (no spare bedrooms in this house), complete with shoes under the rack and accessories hung from bags over the outfits. Undergarments and anything else is right there, too.

My toiletry kit is always packed, as we find we need the same items whether we go away for one night or 20. So, it just stays in the bedroom closet and we're ready at a moments notice to take off. I replenish when we get home, if needed.

If I organize this way, I find I don't pack anything extra and many times end up putting some stuff back in the closet.

I keep an ever changing packing list on my computer, on a spreadsheet. I figure out days and evenings, but I'm flexible with the clothing choices, I don't plan for each day and wear what I feel like. I'm also a light packer and can see how to mix and match and how everything will coordinate if it's hung up together. I don't take an outfit for every single night, either. I'll wear the same outfit on the first and last night, as well as the same outfit to disembark as what I embarked in.

It's a learning process, I think I'm getting better each cruise we go on (or other types of vacations too), someday I hope to be able to pack smart enough that I only take a rollaboard.

Thanks for your input, everyone. I definitely won't be doing the pearls-only thing! I do have some really nice capris that I plan to wear on casual evenings, and like to wear skirts for shore days. I've just recently lost a fair bit of weight, but am not quite where I want to be, so I'm not going to invest in items that will only fit for another 2 months.

I'll see how things fit in the suitcase. The zip lock idea is a good one. We have travel space bags, and you can roll them up so they will probably suffice. I know that I'm taking 4 pairs of shoes and a pair of slippers (those carpets hold a world of evils) - dress shoes, sandals, water shoes and running shoes.

Thanks again!

Have a great cruise! I usually do not wear a few things I take, but need to have choices. I like clothes and fashion, and love to dress up. Hopefully this cruise I will only take 6 or 7 pairs of shoes. In the past, I have packed shoes that looked great with one outfit only, but no more. Can someone please tell me where to get the big ziplocks? Thanks!

Have a great cruise! I usually do not wear a few things I take, but need to have choices. I like clothes and fashion, and love to dress up. Hopefully this cruise I will only take 6 or 7 pairs of shoes. In the past, I have packed shoes that looked great with one outfit only, but no more. Can someone please tell me where to get the big ziplocks? Thanks!

2 gallion bags in supermarkets.

In Feb. we will be taking a b2b starting in Buenos Aires(sailing around Cape Horn and up the west coast of S. America, ending in Fort Lauderdale, traveling thru hot and cold climates, totaling 28 days. I am thinking now about which summer weather clothes to keep out of storage. Any suggestions? thanks in advance..mb:)

Just got home. That is exactly what I got. I hope it will save space, plus keep my things clean and neat when TSA goes through our bags. Seems like I almost always get one of those little "your bag has been inpected' white cards when I open my suitcase after flying anywhere. I'll start really packing in about 2 weeks. Right now I am just hanging clothes together I plan on taking, and putting various sundries in a shopping bag. Two weeks from tomorrow I'll pack, then Thursday a spa day (mani/pedi, waxing, permatint brows and lashes), Thursday night special time with son who is staying here with dog, cat and divorced BIL, Friday AM we leave. I am getting excited. Thanks for hefty bage idea. Nancy

Archived