is there a penalty for missing a main dining room reservation?

Blossum

I don't believe there is a penalty for missing a main dining room reservation. The penalty fee applies only to the alternative restaurants. A sitdown lunch is usually served in Windows in addition to the lunch buffet, the Blue Lagoon, deck BBQs, fish & chips (at times) in Henry's Pub, and room service. In general, the alternative restaurants are not open for lunch. They might serve sushi in Shogun for lunch on sea days.

What an interesting question that I have never seen asked on here before. Since only large groups can make reservations in the main dining rooms and they don't give you a "reminder card" like they do in the other restaurants, I don't know what they would do if you no showed them.

The reminder cards tell you about the $5 per person no show charge.

The Specialty Restaurants are open only for dinner. For lunch, they have one main dining room and the buffet open.

the only place I know there is a penalty fee which is $5 per person is in the specialty restaurants. As for the main dining room, I too would wonder, unless it is a large crowd why you would want to make reservations? If it is a large crowd, even if there is no penalty think of all the others that have been put out so someone could have the table. I am sure, of course you are not planning on being a NO SHOW or any of your group for that matter. NMNita

I thought one was able to make reservations for a certain time in the main dining room even if you are not in a large gorup - am I mistaken? I am sure I read it on reviews.

I believe that you can do that only on the Pride of Hawaii. I know on the Star and Dawn, only large groups can make reservations in the main dining rooms. For smaller groups, it is first come, first serve.

I thought one was able to make reservations for a certain time in the main dining room even if you are not in a large gorup - am I mistaken? I am sure I read it on reviews.

My family of four was on the Spirit in August (Inside cabin) and we made reservations for dinner in the Specialty restaurants as well as Windows and Garden room-I don't think it mattered what time. We got reminder slips for all of them, the slips note only that there is a charge for missing a Specialty reservation. If you are going to miss a reservation ANYWHERE, I would call out of courtesy for fellow passengers and the crew. My husband was very glad we took the time to stand in line to make the reservations on the first day of the cruise-it saved us the wait time later in the week, as we had our 2 children with us.

My family of four was on the Spirit in August (Inside cabin) and we made reservations for dinner in the Specialty restaurants as well as Windows and Garden room-I don't think it mattered what time. We got reminder slips for all of them, the slips note only that there is a charge for missing a Specialty reservation. If you are going to miss a reservation ANYWHERE, I would call out of courtesy for fellow passengers and the crew. My husband was very glad we took the time to stand in line to make the reservations on the first day of the cruise-it saved us the wait time later in the week, as we had our 2 children with us...they were hungry and in a hurry to get to Kids Crew. :)

On PoAm there was a $5 per person penalty if you didn't show up for a reservation in one of the main dining rooms. In the specialty restaurants the penalty was the full $15 or $20 fee.

I am very glad to hear this - it would be so annoying to have inconsiderate dolts making reservations everywhere and then not turning up.

Hallelujah....I hope they enforce these kinds of penalties on the POH also. The thing we enjoy most about NCL is the freestyle concept. I do not have ANY idea when or where I want to eat during the course of my cruise. We like to go with the flow....one night an earlier dinner and the late show...the next the early show and a late dinner. I refuse to run onboard and line up to make reservations and have to plan out my entire week. This totally defeats the concept of freestyle. I understand that the specialty restaurants are smaller venues and that reservations are required. BUT, the main dining rooms should remain first come, first served. I have been having nightmares of idiots making reservations all over the place...in both the main and specialty restaurants...and then not showing up and making life miserable for the other cruisers....and more importantly....the staff.

In four NCL freestyle cruises...we have eaten only once at a specialty restaurant and this was because a senior officer found out that it was my husband's birthday and comped us a dinner. It was a fine dining experience. However, I have always found the food in the main dining rooms more than adequate...usually very delicious...and totally enjoyable. I would rather spend my $$ on other activities or at the bar :D

Waiting for a table is required at most land-based restaurants we frequent. On the ship we have the luxury of waiting in the nearest lounge, drink in hand, and listening to some kind of music until our table is ready. We are fine with that and do not want to be forced to adhere to a schedule that we made a week earlier.

On our upcoming POH cruise...I may make one reservation...just so that we are not forced to eat in the buffet every night....if my worst nightmares do come true!!!!

We were on the Spirit in August.

We did make reservations for the 4 of us in the main dining rooms as well as the Speciality Resturants.

We were not in a suite and made our reservations ourselves on the first day.

We did also get a reminder slip with the day, time and resturant for all reservations including the main dining rooms. Highlighted was the 5.00 no-show/late cancellation fee.

We made our reservations in the main dining room because we wanted to guarantee that we could eat at a certain time on those days. The reservations gave us that.

I am not sure. I think it would be ok. We had reservations at Cagney's and my SIL and BIL couldn't come with us because my SIL was seasick. We tool their son with us and when we got there told them the reservation was for 6 but 2 weren't coming. They changed us to a smaller table and didn't charge for my inlaws.

We made reservations for all of our dinners. We did notice a lot of people waiting to be seated as we left.

My husband and I decided on our Gem cruise we will wing it and see how it goes. My husband doesn't like everything planned out. He likes to do things as they come along. ;)

Archived