Discover Scuba on the Dream

JDK01269

Hi Cruisers..

We are cruising on the Dream in December out of Houston. There are 6 in our party. Two of us are certified (and comfortable divers), 1 has no desire (tried and hated it), and 3 are not certified but are interested in diving in Cozumel. Anybody done the discover scuba thing on board? Is it part of a certification process? If you do the classroom and practice dives in a pool, are you required to open dive with the ship in a port of call? I am not particularly crazy about diving with the cattleboat operation of the ship (prefer private operators). Any input or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just my opinion but i recommend you stick with snorkeling. If you are really interested in Scuba then do the serious full course back home before/after the cruise so the scuba on your next cruise can be pure fun and not some limited/questionably safe intro thing.

Sounds to me like you're asking if Discover Diving participants would be able to dive with certified divers. The short simple answer would be probably not, unless those with C-cards went through the same excursion offered by the ship as the non-certified divers. Discover diving is not a certification course, just simply a orientation program to encourage potential divers to take the full course. Your best bet might be to have your non-certified friends take a certified diver course at home prior to your cruise, and obtain a referral from that instructor to an instructor, or instructors at diver operations at your ports of call. It might be possible for you to then dive along with your friends on a private charter while they complete their open water dives.;)

Greetings,

I have done several Discover Dives through NCL. All were only for us non-certified divers with only the instuctors being certified. Training and the test dive were off the ship. The dives I have done in Coz we went to about 25 feet and not that much to look at. In Belize, we went to 40 feet off a boat and had a very nice dive site. I thought the instruction in Coz was better than Belize, but the dive was'nt too good. Hope this helps. Someday I'll manage to get my butt to a class and become certified...... It is a very neat experience.

Jingle

Archived