Vintage Seabourn

HunEBear

My husband and I are booked on a 24 night cruise on the Legend in January (I can't wait!!) and we plan to order Seabourn's Gold Connoisseur wine package. We would like to be able to sample some of the wines before our trip and wondered if anyone has a wine list from one of Seabourn's recent voyages. Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide. Harriet

hunEBear,

As you know the gold package is $300 which is good value,for me the best red on the list is Chateau Giscours which on the wine list is $110 to buy separately,so six bottles to the value of $660 for $300 makes sense.The other red to try is a Brunello di Montalcino which should be decanted in advance as this wine needs time to breath and develop.The white to try is Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc,very fruity and consistent.The sommelier on the Legend at the moment is Angela from Hungary,she is very helpful and knowledgable.You will enjoy the Legend I am sure,the staff really work as a team and for me it was one of the best three weeks spent on a ship.

You will enjoy the Legend I am sure,the staff really work as a team and for me it was one of the best three weeks spent on a ship.

Glad you had a great time! Would love to hear more about it, but I guess a new thread should be started so this one isn't hijacked.

BTW, I visited Chateau Giscours last month. I am not sure which vintage you had, but the tasting provided to us was, to be kind, with very ordinary wines. Possibly they were just too young...or were put on the "tourist circuit"! I know they have, in the past, made some decent wines according to Parker, at least. (The man we love to hate!)

hunEBear,

As you know the gold package is $300 which is good value,for me the best red on the list is Chateau Giscours which on the wine list is $110 to buy separately,so six bottles to the value of $660 for $300 makes sense.The other red to try is a Brunello di Montalcino which should be decanted in advance as this wine needs time to breath and develop.The white to try is Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc,very fruity and consistent.The sommelier on the Legend at the moment is Angela from Hungary,she is very helpful and knowledgable.You will enjoy the Legend I am sure,the staff really work as a team and for me it was one of the best three weeks spent on a ship.

We have had the Brunello before but the last cruise we were on in July we had two consecutive corked bottles! Try the Gevrey Chambertin which we had on the same cruise and it was excellent. The Cloudy Bay Sauvignon is consistently good on board. But again it's all down to personal taste isn't it?Personally we do not like the champagne (find it too acidic) but others rave about it!!

shefinch,

It is interesting that you mention the Champagne,we also did not like it and paid extra for something better.The Champagne on board was Heidseck Monopole with a yellow label

I agree, it is a bit sweet. Piper-Heidsieck is on the "gift" list yet it costs about the same as Heidsieck-Monopole in my local store. Perhaps Seabourn will consider having a choice of gratis bubblies in the future.

Throughout Seabourn's advertising "French" champagne is mentioned. (I thought all champagne was "French," but that's another discussion.) The accountants probably requested an RFP and went with the best deal on "French" champagne received.

As far as we can remember Seabourn have always had Heidsieck Monopole blue label champagne but we only go back to January 2002 - probably there are others who go further back who had something different! I usually have a couple of glasses when I get on board (my husband doesn't like champagne) and then switch to my margaritas predinner - although the champagne is probably better for the waistline! On cocktail party evenings I usually have a kir royale which more or less takes away the taste of the champagne.

Archived