RCL cancels Turkey ports of call

Just an FYI - we just returned from a RCL cruise (Splendor of the Seas) out of Venice to the Greek Isles and Turkey. Due to the bombings in Turkey and the threat on tourists the Captain announced that RCL was cancelling all ports in Turkey for any time in the near future. We were lucky that they replaced the port with Croatia which was totally beautiful.

However, it changed the whole time schedule of our trip and screwed up our private tours (we hit ports on different days).

If you cruise includes any port in Turkey you should check with your cruise line before making arrangements.

Several of the cruise lines have cancelled Turkish ports in past years and then have ended up going back when things quieted down. Hopefully for everyone involved that will happen again. Most of the Turkish people are not anti-american and most of the current bombings have been by Kurdish terrorists who want a Kusdish homeland in Eastern Turkey. The success of the Kurds in Iraq to seperate and rule a section of that country have allowed this group to become active again.

It is really a sad situation as the Turks really did kill a lot of both Kurds and Armenians in the past and that old hatred keeps reappearing. Oh well enough political commentary.

Hope this gets worked out and that Istanbul and Kusadasi again become available to cruise ship passengers.

Have a great next cruise.

When we were in Kusadasi at the end of July we found that the Turks really do like Americans, and of course they love American tourist money that flows into their country.

It is sad that because of these extremists cruise ship ports are being cancelled for obvious safety reasons.

Last year at the beginning of the cruise season, all of the cruise lines were stopping at Kusadasi, then there was the bombing of the German tour buses and all cruise lines stopped visiting Kusadasi until this year.

Eventually when the situation is more stable, the cruise lines will return. Its just a shame because Ephesus is amazing. To me, it was more impressive than Pompeii.

I just spoke with someone at RCCL and it is true that there was a short period a few weeks back when they bypassed Turkish ports because of the civil unrest. This policy, however, has been lifted and they have been "assured" by Turkish authorities that it is now safe to return. I guess in today's world "safe" is a relative concept. However....the return to visiting Turkish ports is "subject to change" as per RCCL. We will just have to wait and see.

Marty

10/24 Istanbul to Barcelona

Turkey has always had small pockets of bombing incidents. Your chances of getting mugged or killed in any of the world's major cities are far greater than being involved in a terrorist incident in Turkey.

Using their own philosophy, then, why do they have cruises that go to, and depart from, New York/New Jersey, since we all know that the world's most horrific terrorist incident ever occurred right there?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

We just returned from a week in Istanbul. It was awesome! The people were friendly and happy to have us there, the food was great, and the sites were unbelievable (the shopping wasn't too bad either LOL)! I have to admit that I was a little nervous, watching out for stray bags and briefcases, but as far as problems go, our visit was uneventful!

We were just in Turkey in July while cruising on the Oceania Nautica...

We had a great time...here are some of my notes:

We stayed in Istanbul at the Conrad...a beautiful hotel...and it had the tightest security I've ever witnessed at a hotel (and I've travelled all over the world)...Our car was stopped coming onto the property and the trunk searched with metal detector wands...At the front door, all people entering needed to be screened through a metal detector and items carried went through an X-Ray machine...I always felt safe at the hotel (and really felt safe everywhere in Turkey)...

We stayed 2 nights at the Conrad and one more "overnight" on the ship...we also visited Kusadasi on a port stop...

Though the country is predominantly Moslem, it is important to understand that they are NOT Arabs. There are Jewish and Christian minorities who are considered welcome and are free to openly practice their religions...

When modern Turkey was founded by Attaturk after WWI, he made it a point that Turkey be a modern, open and free DEMOCRACY and that equal rights exist for all people...including Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the Press, Freedom of Religion, etc.

The Turks are generally very proud of this heritage...

Of course, unfortunately, there is a minority of Fundamentalist Islamic groups who are being financially supported by fundamentalists in the Arab world...And, obviously, they have an agenda--which includes terrorism...

BUT, from our experience, these groups really are a disliked minority...These are a people who take pride in their freedoms and their democracy and their modern, western society...

It is truly a shame if such incidents harm their important tourism industry...

I truly hope the cruise lines see fit to put them back on the schedule...I, for one, would have no problem returning for another visit...It is a fascinating country with a fascinating history and some incredible sites to visit...

Of course, unfortunately, there is a minority of Fundamentalist Islamic groups who are being financially supported by fundamentalists in the Arab world...And, obviously, they have an agenda--which includes terrorism...
Did you hear anything that positively linked these explosions to Islamist fundamentalists? It would be the first that I've heard of it - usually, they aren't the people who bomb in Turkey.

The last I saw on the TV news and on the Internet was that they believed the explosions were tied to one of the Kurdish extremist groups which have a totally different agenda than muslim extremists.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else has other news.

im so glad i research things:))and wanted to thank you guys for the heads- up in turkey,i was wondering about it,so ill monitor this as time goes, we are sailing in april on the emerald princess and she is due to stop in kasudasi? i think is how its spelled lol oh well thanks again:)):p

Just wanted to say that I talked with our travel agent yesterday, who contacted Royal Caribbean, and they said they had no plans to change ports because of the violence in Turkey. Who's to say what will happen between now and then, and maybe each ship's captain has authority to makes changes at his discretion, I don't know.

I certainly hope they don't change our itinerary (10/22/06 sailing) as I'm looking forward to seeing Ephesus and also have private tours scheduled in both Turkey & Athens. Could be loads of fun trying to reschedule from the ship!!

Archived