Another Kino Sandal Question

blueskyday

After living in Florida all oue lives, My DH and I will finally be visiting KW next Wednesday, barring any port changes due to weather, etc. I really want to visit Kino's and pick up all that I can get for me and my daughters.

A lady in my office building (I don't know when she last visited there) told me that

1. I would have to wait while the sandals are made to order (unless they had my size in the samples) and hope they actually fit me, and

2. that there is no AC - basically a sweat shop, and that I should tip the workers (no problem).

Is this true?

They have a counter displaying the styles of sandals they offer. Then behind the counter they have large boxes of sandals of different sizes, colors and styles but they may not have the style, color and size you want. That means you sometimes have to compromise especially if you want more than one pair.

And yes the building does not have A/C or at least if it does it has never worked when we have been there.

Personally I did not tip the employees but that would be up to you.

They can make sandals for you in a certain size, color and style but not necessarily immediately so at best you may have to wander around town for awhile and come back and pick up the sandals. If I had this done, I would probably think about tipping the employees that helped me. IMHO.

Have a great next cruise.

Hint - make sure to try on the sandals before you buy. The shoes really are hand made, so sometimes the fit varies from pair to pair. I have often purchased a right shoe from one pair and the left from another pair. Sizes and colors that are available on any given day vary so be prepared to be flexible. What they have in the box is what they have that day.

That's the correct link and while they make many styles of sandals, the original and best known is the "Lili " style. This is the one you'll see us locals wearing. I have 2 pair in every color - one pair for around the house and yardwork, and one pair for "dress up". :D

With all the chatting about these sandals I MUST give them a try. Thanks to all who have posted about the comfortable, lightweight, and many styles & colors KINO's sandals has to offer. I'm sure my DH will be delighted to go there. :p :p

My main concern is that I'll probably want to buy some as gifts to my friends & sisters too. Has anyone purchased and then shipped them back home? Luggage space will be minimal and this is our 1st stop for the cruise...heaven forbid I couldn't buy any more stuff cuz' I filled the bags with sandals!!!!

Does anyone who has been there lately know what time they open and close? I will be in KW the week after Thanksgiving.

Thanks!

They are open 9-5 (sharp) M-Sat. Closed on Sunday. No other shops in Key West carry these sandals. As far as shipping, I routinely mail bags, via regular US mail, of sandals to people up north. I keep sizes in my wallet and stop in opnce a week or so just to see what colors they have that day in what sizes. They fit into one another, are light, and pack fairly flat. They're great and totally unique Key West gifts. They don't come in half sizes so always buy one size up. Lili style comes in men sizes too - only in brown most of the time. My hubby loves them. One caution-if you are used to wearing high heels, these sandals may initially "hurt" the back of your legs because there is no heel at all and your foot will be flat.

I bought 3 pair on my last cruise to Key West. They fit into my suitcase easily. I put them flat along the edges of the suitcase. Yes, they are flat but they have nice and light, soft cushioning along the footbed. But be careful when you walk when it is wet. They are very slippery. I have nearly slipped several times when walking into a store after walking outside while it was drizzling.

And I normally wear a size 7 1/2 but in Kinos I actually have to go down in size. A size 8 will be way to large for me. I buy the size 7 and still buckle them down - many styles have little buckles to adjust the width. In fact, most of the time when I buy sandals I buy a 7. I don't like having too much extra sole at the heel and in front of my toe.

Archived