For Writeratsea

shirleygr

Hi, Edward.

Just wanted to wish you a calm voyage and a wonderful time in Bermuda. Thank you for all your help so far and I look forward to reading your trip report when you return. You are such a wealth of information and a true asset to CC.

Bon Voyage!

Hi, Edward.

Just wanted to wish you a calm voyage and a wonderful time in Bermuda. Thank you for all your help so far and I look forward to reading your trip report when you return. You are such a wealth of information and a true asset to CC.

Bon Voyage!

Thank you for your very kind words. It is nice to be appreciated. It was a nice feeling to see a thread directed specifically to me, very flattering. I am happy that I have been able to help you and others with my own personal insights and experiences in Bermuda. As always these are my own opinions, but I try to be honest and unbiased. We are excited to be going on the Majesty again this Sunday. We will also have a cruise critic meet and greet aboard which I am also looking forward to. Traveling with another couple who we met on the Majesty last year, so that it also enchancing our cruising experience. Is there anything in Bermuda that you still have questions about, that I can check out while we are there?

Your friend, Edward:)

Hey Edward,

I would like to echo shirleygr sentiments. You have been a great help planning our short time in Bermuda. I am keeping my fingers crossed that no storms make any weird turns to keep us from going.

If you don't remember I am also going this weekend on the Explorer. I am just about packed. Finished all the work I needed to get done today and now I am counting the minutes.

You would think that after 10 cruises I wouldn't still be feeling this incredible excitement but I am!!!! :D

Have a wonderful time.

Sue

You're welcome, Edward. I'm wishing you smooth seas on your voyage to Bermuda. Let's see if mother nature cooperates. If you could just check on the situation at Shelly Bay for me, if the facilities are now open, I would appreciate it. If they are not, I think we'll head over to John Smith instead.

Sue, if you ever lose that excitement, it's time to stop cruising. ;) I think my Bermuda cruise is number 15 for me and I'm even more excited than I was for my first one!

Hey Edward,

I would like to echo shirleygr sentiments. You have been a great help planning our short time in Bermuda. I am keeping my fingers crossed that no storms make any weird turns to keep us from going.

If you don't remember I am also going this weekend on the Explorer. I am just about packed. Finished all the work I needed to get done today and now I am counting the minutes.

You would think that after 10 cruises I wouldn't still be feeling this incredible excitement but I am!!!! :D

Have a wonderful time.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Yes I remember that you are going on the explorer the same week we are on the Majesty. Isn't a tribute to Bermuda that after so many visits, we are still excited by a return trip. That such a small island only 20 miles long could contain so many diverse and interesting things to see is amazing. The only similar place that I have experienced this is Disney World in Orlando. They also share in common a refreshing cleanliness. But one is natural and the other man made, though exceedingly well done. Too bad Bermuda doesn't have a monorail running through it like Disney, then it would be just perfect. LOL You too have a wonderful and fun time.:D

Edward

You're welcome, Edward. I'm wishing you smooth seas on your voyage to Bermuda. Let's see if mother nature cooperates. If you could just check on the situation at Shelly Bay for me, if the facilities are now open, I would appreciate it. If they are not, I think we'll head over to John Smith instead.

Sue, if you ever lose that excitement, it's time to stop cruising. ;) I think my Bermuda cruise is number 15 for me and I'm even more excited than I was for my first one!

Hi Shirley,

I had in mind to go over to Shelly Bay to check and see if the facilities were open. Since I have never been there before, it would be a good reason to see the beach. We also plan to go to Clearwater Beach on St. David's island. I have heard so many pros and cons about it on these boards that I am curious enough to see what the skinny is. It also gives me an excuse to see St. David's lighthouse, which I have not visited. I sometimes shake my head at the fact that there are still places in Bermuda that I have not seen, after all my years of visiting. How is that possible in such a small place. That is the most amazing part about Bermuda. I will be in touch with you when I come back.:D

Edward

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Edward.

I look forward to reading your posts. I hope Helene doesn't cause trouble for you next week. Have a great time!

Helene did cause us trouble last week. We had to leave early Thursday night at 6PM. We were hoping that they might shift berths from St. George to Hamilton as they did this week last year. Two years in a row the weather was difficult, maybe we have to rethink this particular sailing.

We went by Shelly bay on the bus on the way to Hamilton and it looked just ok, the playground wasn't too great looking either. It didn't appear that the facilities were open but I couldn't be sure as I had scheduled Friday morning to check out the beach for you, but we left early Thursday. Clearwater beach was a little rocky for about the first 10 feet into the water, but after that the sand was soft and smooth. The playground was exceptional. There were a snack bar, rentals and bathrooms (closed at 3PM) and a large outdoor bar. You already know how I feel about John Smith bay. Not only is it beautiful, but there was hardly anyone there. The water this week at Horseshoe and Elbow was rough and they suggested we not swim due to the riptides and the rough surf. But John Smith has a lot of reefs offshore and the water was fine. It is also waist deep for quite a ways, so that might have mattered as well. Despite the shortened trip, it was still a great time. We even visited the perfumery and got a tour for free. It is located right in St. George rather than Baily Bay. The food was exceptionally good this year, especially in the buffets where they had carved meats every day. The turkey was delicious, as was the gravy. They also offered a bridge tour at 12:15 on Tues, Weds and Thursday. Something new I guess. Any other questions feel free to ask. I will write a fuller review, when I get a chance. Too many neglected tasks to do such as mowing the lawn, laundry etc. Back to the real world. LOL:)

Edward

Edward, I'm so sorry your time in Bermuda was cut short. I read elsewhere that the seas were quite rough last week and a lot of folks on the "smaller" ships were sick. I appreciate your input on the beaches. I'm not sure where Clearwater Beach is--I'll have to check out my Bermuda map.

At this point, things are looking pretty good for our sailing next week except rain is being predicted for both our days in Bermuda. Thanks again for all your help. :)

Edward, I'm so sorry your time in Bermuda was cut short. I read elsewhere that the seas were quite rough last week and a lot of folks on the "smaller" ships were sick. I appreciate your input on the beaches. I'm not sure where Clearwater Beach is--I'll have to check out my Bermuda map.

At this point, things are looking pretty good for our sailing next week except rain is being predicted for both our days in Bermuda. Thanks again for all your help. :)

Hi shirleygr, I agree with my hubby Edward that Shelly Bay didn't look all that hot, from the ferry or the bus. John Smith bay was pretty and deserted, but he mentioned you have kids. If they are playground age I would head for Clearwater for sure...it had a nice one, and the planes come in over one end of the beach. All-important snacks and facilities are also nearby but without the crowds of Horseshoe Bay. I'm sorry to hear about the forecast of rain, but hey, if you're going to the beach you're going to get wet anyway, right?;) Make the most of it!

Clearwater does sound fantastic. And yes, our kids are 6 and 4 so a playground would be a nice bonus to a great beach. However, we will be docked on the west end, in the Dockyard, so what would be the best way to get to Clearwater? Should we take the ferry to St Georges? Is there a bus to get us there from the zoo/aquarium? TIA

Clearwater does sound fantastic. And yes, our kids are 6 and 4 so a playground would be a nice bonus to a great beach. However, we will be docked on the west end, in the Dockyard, so what would be the best way to get to Clearwater? Should we take the ferry to St Georges? Is there a bus to get us there from the zoo/aquarium? TIA

Clearwater Beach is on St. David's island, next to the airport and St. David's lighthouse. The ferry to St. George would take about an hour. The bus from the dockyard would take about an hour at least as well. You can take any bus to St. George from the Aquarium. Either the number 3, 10 or 11 bus to the airport, get off at what is called gate 1. This is a little rotary with a small superette and pizza place. You can pick up the number 6 bus right there to go to Clearwater beach. The basic number 6 bus goes to the St. David's lighthouse at 15 minutes past the hour every hour from St. George, so it would get to gate 1 about 20 past the hour. There is a second number 6 bus which is not on the bus schedule for some reason. This number 6 bus goes directly to Clearwater beach and leaves St. George at 45 minutes past the hour every hour. So it would get to gate 1 at 50 minutes past the hour. The bus will return to Clearwater beach on the hour to go back to St. George. I have an extra bus schedule if I can send you if it would help you. Hope this gives you some options.:)

Edward

Thanks so much, Edward. I will add this information to my copious notes. A lot of what we end up doing will depend on the weather, which is looking soggy for day 1 but nice for day 2. I'm thinking we might take the ferry to St George on day 2 to go to Clearwater Beach as well as see that historic town. We just need to keep an eye on the time since we are leaving that afternoon. Of course, when traveling with the kids, flexibility is the key. Thanks for all your help. We are leaving on Sunday so I don't think that bus schedule would get to me in time. I plan on grabbing schedules for the busses and ferries when we arrive. :)

Thanks so much, Edward. I will add this information to my copious notes. A lot of what we end up doing will depend on the weather, which is looking soggy for day 1 but nice for day 2. I'm thinking we might take the ferry to St George on day 2 to go to Clearwater Beach as well as see that historic town. We just need to keep an eye on the time since we are leaving that afternoon. Of course, when traveling with the kids, flexibility is the key. Thanks for all your help. We are leaving on Sunday so I don't think that bus schedule would get to me in time. I plan on grabbing schedules for the busses and ferries when we arrive. :)

You can get the ferry and bus schedules when you get your transportation pass at the visitor's center. One important note, the last ferries from St. George to the dockyard run at 3 and 3:45 PM. If you miss, you will have to take the bus back, but I am sure you will be leaving earlier than that. Hope all the information comes in handy for you. If you have any questions about what to do in St. George, please ask.

Edward:)

Archived