Confused with Room Service reports

kimba_99

I've been reading loads of reviews of late and I'm getting a little confused here. There seems to be some conflicting reports on room service re: dining room menu. Some are saying you can get a dining room menu to order from so you can have dinner in your cabin but I have also read others reporting that when asked they were told no it's only available to suite passengers.

So what is the go... is ordering from the dining room menu in your cabin only available to suite passengers or is it available to all cabins.. OR is it different on different ships...

Can anyone clarify this for me...??

Kim

Kimba:

You can order right off the dinning room menu for your cabin, however they do not tell you this or advertize it on-board but it's a little well known secret that many repeat Princess passengers do know and use a lot....I have and I will when we our on the same cruise Dec 23, 2004 SYD-AKL!:cool: :eek: :cool:

Pam,

Don't you wish you had "house" service like that available when you got home?... You pic made my mouth water.

It makes my mouth water too! Rex ate all the lobsters pictured. He did not waste a single bite. I had the beef Wellington which is barely visible in the upper left. :D

Generally speaking, you can order from the dining room menus if you are placing your room service order during the dining room service times. So, if you're ordering the Lobster Dinner at 3 p.m., that might not be possible, and you'd have to use the regular room service menu instead. If you want it delivered at 8 p.m. on the night they're serving lobster, you can most likely make that happen.

Thanks for the replies... I really want to try out getting dinner in our cabin (from the dining room menu) but was getting so confused by conflicting reports....

Quote from Cruisingislife (Chris)

Ordering off the menu in your cabin

I'd heard that it was possible to have room service send down a menu from the dining room from which you could order and have it delivered to your stateroom. If you're in a mini or full suite this is no problem. On this sailing we were told that the service was normally reserved for suites but that they would send us a menu anyway. We were indeed able to order everything we wanted off the regular dining room menu. For comparison purposes we ordered the Fettuccini Alfredo which is a favorite of mine in the dining room to see how that translated to being served in-cabin.

I have read other reviews that said the same sort of thing.... maybe it's the time of day that ppl are ordering is the problem as MaryPoppinz says. :cool:

Kim

I believe the only issue of 'only for suites' is having them deliver the MENU to your cabin. This isn't a real problem though since the menu is posted outside the dining rooms each afternoon. We've just stolled down, read and picked our choices and then called for room service during dinner time. As long as the kitchen is making it they will deliver it to your cabin. This is one of the great perks Princess offers although they don't advertise it. Hopefully it won't get so popular that they curtail the service. :eek:

On previous Princess cruises, we really enjoyed having breakfast in the room; however, most traditional breakfast items were missing from the room service card we received on a recent Diamond trip, so we assumed only the 'continental' items listed were available. Are you saying that I could have ordered anything from the regular breakfast menu?

Given the information on this board, I am planning to "write in" some requests on my breakfast order card (I presume they have this on board?) like eggs/omelette or smoked salmon. I am hoping to enjoy breakfast on my balcony as many days as possible.!

Will let you know how I make out! :D

All you have to do is call room service, ask for a dining room menu be delivered to your cabin and then order from that. As long as it is within regular dining room hours, it is no problem at all. That includes, breakfast, lunch and dinner!

I've heard the conflicting reports too.

I was told on the Caribbean Princess last week that the service was for suites (we were in a BB balcony) but they did it anyway (see review for details).

I read a review today from a different sailing saying the same thing.

I wouldn't ask for it again unless I was in a mini-suite or better. They ended up being very gracious about it but I felt like I was abusing the system. Smuggling on some booze is one thing, especially when we run up a big bar tab on the ship anyway, this was different.

It didn't feel right to me.

For breakfast all I did was turn over the breakfast card and wrote in what I wanted and what time and it was there promptly. I'm an early riser so while DH slept, I had my tea, breakfast and a good book on the balcony, can't beat it.:D

Debbie

I was told on the Caribbean Princess last week that the service was for suites (we were in a BB balcony) but they did it anyway (see review for details).

Hey, Chris, when you use the term "the service" are you talking about the service of bringing you the menu.....or are you talking about the service of delivering a meal from the dining room menu during dining room hours?

We have ordered anything we have ever wanted provided it was during meal time and have never had a problem. This goes for breakfast and dinner as we have never ordered lunch from room service. For breakfast just write in on the standard care whatever you want and you can also write in a time earlier than the 1st one on the card (0700). It is a must though to list everything you want. Dry cereal with no milk is a bit hard to chew! :eek: We've even gotten fresh strawberries delivered. :p

Now I guess it's possible things may be changing :( but I surely hope not. We did all the above as recently as March on the Sun and we were not even in my beloved mini-suite. No questions or exceptions ever mentioned. Maybe we CCers need to keep all this a secret so it won't be abused and eliminated. :eek:

We have never filled out the cards for breakfast. Whatever time we get up and want breakfast, we just call room service with our order and in no time it's there. As for dinner, we have on several occasions ordered full dinners from room service and enjoyed dining on our balcony. We just check out the menus during the day posted outside the dining rooms and when we feel like eating call our order into room service. We were not in a mini suite, just a room with a balcony. Never had a problem. Staff was always accomodating and pleasant. Happy cruising!

I was on the Dawn Princess last week. I only tired to order a cooked breakfast the first day and I was told I could only order the contintal breakfast and what was on the room service menu. We had a balcony cabin.

One night I tried to order the 'chocolate desert' that was in the dinning room and again was told we could only order off the room service menu. They told me that room service was not the dinning room.:( I then ordered the 'chocolate cake' from the room service menu and got a brownie.:(

All I can say is it would not hurt to try, but I would wait until the second or third day.

It sounds like too many cruisers are asking for the unlimited menu items and Princess is beginning to have a problem delivering these special requests. It may be that this "secret perk" has become too well known and may no longer be available to all those who ask. It may become a hit and miss thing availble only on some ships.

It's really too bad as we have enjoyed full breakfasts on previous cruises.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, if you are in a full suite, you may order anything you want. I was in a premium suite on last cruise (lucky upgrade) and the menus were delivered to my room the day before. I received both dinner and breakfast menus. I never ordered dinner in room, but did order full breakfast every morning. I just took the menu and wrote everything I wanted on back of room service card. We also orderd large pots of hot chocolate and cookies in the afternoon instead of tea. Yummy, yummy. The perks in the full suites are totally luxurious and be sure to take advantage of free laundry and dry cleaning. That perk was about the best and we used it almost every day. Took home all clean laundry. Enjoy your suite, you will love it.

Last year in the Med, we were able to order a wonderful dinner from the dining room menu and have it delivered to our mini-suite. This year, in Alaska, we tried it again, only to be told we could only order from the "blue book" (i.e. the room service menu). We were in a mini-suite again this year. Hoping I had gotten a "newbie", I called later (both times were during dinner hours), and again, was told I could not order from the dining room menu. Hopefully, this is exclusive to the Island Princess, and not fleet wide! We were disappointed.....

Maybe things will be different next year on the Star Princess!

Happy Sailings!

Last fall on the Norwegian Sky we were able to order anything off the dining menu for room service, so we got spoiled. This year on the CP, it didn't seem to be the case. Seems like they should be able to send what's in the dining rooms up to your room, too. They send it up to Caribe Cafe--we often saw the same things from the main dining room's menu up on the buffet later that night.

Archived