Dunn's River Falls- lockers? camera?

Anatresia

These might be stupid questions. My husband and I (well, mostly I) take a TON of photographs on vacation. I was looking at excursions to Dunn's River Falls and I see people in their bathing suits.

Do they have lockers there, to store clothing and cameras? Or do you basically wear what you plan to climb the falls in? If that's the case, I will not get to take the digital camera to Jamaica, for fear of ruining it. I'd have to get one of those waterproof disposables, which just don't produce good quality photos.

If you've been there, would you please enlighten me? Thanks!:D

These might be stupid questions. My husband and I (well, mostly I) take a TON of photographs on vacation. I was looking at excursions to Dunn's River Falls and I see people in their bathing suits.

Do they have lockers there, to store clothing and cameras? Or do you basically wear what you plan to climb the falls in? If that's the case, I will not get to take the digital camera to Jamaica, for fear of ruining it. I'd have to get one of those waterproof disposables, which just don't produce good quality photos.

If you've been there, would you please enlighten me? Thanks!:D

There are lockers and changing facilities - but I use the terms loosely. Wooden lockers with pad locks that some trust and some don't. And island facilities....

Some climb the falls and don't get wet past their ankles. Some 'go for it'. What's your plan? Some trust a guide to hold their camera. Do you?

You might want to look into one of the 'plastic bags' for the camera....not an underwater housing but 100% good for keeping it dry in spash zones....

http://www.aquapac.net/

Everyone in our group was soaked head to foot on the climb. I wouldn't at all plan on only getting wet up the ankles - no way, no how! I don't have any experience at all in the waterproof housings or bags for digital cameras. I just took a Fuji waterproof with me on the excursion, and it took surprisingly good photos. I would not count on handing off your camera to one of the guides to take care of the entire climb. I don't think they'd do that anyway. The do take your camera at certain stops and take your pic for you then hand it back, but during the climb they are helping climbers, so they aren't carrying cameras for everyone.

I only know because I've read it here that there are lockers and changing facilities at DR Falls. We did not make use of those - no one in our tour group did. We all went dressed in our swimsuits and carried a towel & dry clothing in a beach bag that is left on the tour bus. It's safe and locked up.

The less you take with you on your climb, the better. A waterproof camera with a wrist strap and water safe around your neck. You'll need both your hands free for the climb.

Okay, thanks- I'll probably just get a waterproof camera, then. I would really hate for anything to happen to my precious digital. :p I can always get the pics developed in digital format.

I want to be a big fool in the water, not worrying about being careful with a camera! The experience is worth more than the high quality pics, I guess! :D

Yep, take a waterproof disposable, not your good digital!! I took my digital & left it in my bag on the bus so I had it for other scenery pics. I most definitely got wet! Our guide took us up the far right side next to the cliff & at one point, the water was pouring off the rocks above me. I had to take a deep breath, close my eyes & duck in order to climb up! Also, some spots are slippery & you have to careful not to fall. As far as the lockers, we didn't use them. I wore thin, cover up type shorts that dried quickly. After the Falls, we went tubing, so I still needed my bathing suit. We shopped after that, but since my shorts were thin, they were pretty much dry. I think I put on a t-shirt or tank top when we went in Margaritaville.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Archived