Privacy on balcony

vpoopsy

Well, the verandahs themselves are well-shielded from view by the walls

on either side and the deck above, so people looking out the side of the

elevator (which doesn't stick out very far at all from the side of the

ship) wouldn't be able to see you on it (unless possibly you were

leaning over the railing).

This is the reply I got from Holland America.......concerning the balcony next to the elevator.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I would be better to change. A cabin 1 in from the end near the elevator is available. The cabin next to the cabin that is next to the elevator. Or....will I be fine.

For normal balcony use I don't think it's a big deal. The elevators are quiet and zip by. But on one Vista ship I was on, I forget which one, the balcony adjacent to the elevator looked extra small. We've been on all the Vistas except the Noordam.

Not on HAL ships - no "step" - I know what you are referring to - sailed on the Grand Princess.

Unless you have a cabin on the hump on the Vista class ships - lots of privacy!!

ok, this might be a dumb questions but what is a "Hump"?

Jackie

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I would be better to change. A cabin 1 in from the end near the elevator is available. The cabin next to the cabin that is next to the elevator. Or....will I be fine.

That's strictly up to you! I'm a cave-dweller, so if I were to have the balcony cabin next to the glass elevator I would be thrilled! Ted, it did look to be the same size as the others along the side.

Mid-ship is the smoothest ride. A cabin nearer to aft is handy to food, but is a long distance from the entertainment and lounges at night. So, is it easy to coffee in the morning? Or a quick walk home after a long night out and about?

Not on HAL ships - no "step" - I know what you are referring to - sailed on the Grand Princess.

Unless you have a cabin on the hump on the Vista class ships - lots of privacy!!

The aft cabins on Vista class ships (except for deck 8) have a mostly exposed balcony.

ok, this might be a dumb questions but what is a "Hump"?

Jackie

The "hump" or "bump out" refers to the area of the ship where the width changes. You really need to look at a deck plan to understand the layout.

On HAL's Vista class ships, there is a forward section, center section, and aft section. The center section is indented (narrower). The end cabins of the center section all have pie shaped balconies. If you stand at the far corner of the balcony, you can see the entire balcony of the cabin next to you.

Ohhhhhhh, there was pointing and yelling; and have you ever seen a ship enter or leave a port without everyone at the rail with a camera?

In fact one startled guy was coming out of the shower and decided the heck with it, walked to the glass rail, and waved to all of us!

Archived