I'm sorry-trying to understand

temple10

I have been asking about renting a car at the ports as we stop. I will be cruising to hawaii on the statendam for 15 days. turn around from san Diego. Do I call the individual Hertz at each port?? Can I do this from home before leaving?? Can I do it from ship before hitting the port?? I have a few questions about booking excursions on your own also but won't over load you guys. will wait to hear from you on this first. Then hit ya with the excurions lol lol Thank you bunches guys, :D

When we did this cruise in April 2003, I called ahead to several car rental agencies on the islands, using their 800 #s which I found on a couple of Hawaii tourist info sites. I got comparison rates and then chose the one that suited me best on each island.

There are a few important questions to ask:

How far from the cruise terminal to the car rental agency and how often do their pick-up shuttles run? That tells you how much time you will waste before being able to pick up the car and after drop-off.

What is the latest time in the evening you can retain the car before extra charges apply?

When does the last shuttle run from the drop-off point back to the ship?

You will be given adequate maps at the rental agencies. I also found the Hawaii Revealed series of books really helpful for planning our day trips. They are available at bookstores. I bought mine online at Barnes & Noble.

Have a wonderful cruise. We enjoyed every minute of our trip!

Check with the big ones (Hertz, Avis, National, Budget, Dollar, etc.) through their 800 numbers and find out if they offer any multiple island deals. We got one from Budget several years ago that gave us a weekly rate for cars in all locations rather than a collection of daily rates.

The big guys normally have stations in resort hotels so you may be able to avoid a schlep to the airport in some cases.

There's no advantage calling local stations directly because they typically have no significant authority to make deals.

I have been on two cruises to Hawaii, and I have booked my cars online prior to leaving. I actually got in contact with a Dollar agent in Oahu and booked and got quote requests via email. It is not a big deal at all. However, you need to be aware that on Maui, Oahu, and Hawaii it matters where your booking is made, as there are more than one pickup location in these islands. On Oahu, you can book cars on Waikiki or at the airport. While it is not a lot of difference in distance, time or price, you would hate to show up at the wrong place. Kona is problematic because the airport is a long way from the port, and many agencies do not include a free shuttle. In most of the other ports free shuttles are not a problem.

Feel free to contact me via email if you have any questions after you get started. Renting a car is the cheapest and best way to explore Hawaii. If you are comfortable and able to take care of yourself.

jc

I booked all mine online through Alamo in advance. At the time they were the most reasonable. I've read before that some charge a fee if you cancel. Alamo did not when we cancelled Kona. Definately book in advance as they can and do run out of cars so don't wait until you get to the islands. I used my cell phone and called from the ship for a pickup when we were pulling in to dock.

Renting a car and doing your own thing is fabulous in Hawaii. You not only save $$ but also you can visit multiple locations.

In Honolulu, I think I would opt for car pickup at the airport if you can get a shuttle from the dock. The shuttle to the Waikiki pickup location is really slow because of the traffic.

Another thing to consider is traffic while you are driving. Rush hour in Honolulu starts at around 3:30 p.m. so you want to be sure to schedule your sightseeing, (North Shore, etc.) so as not to be caught in heavy outbound traffic. Also, Diamond Head park closes around 6 p.m., so be sure you allow time early in the day for that.

Archived