Newbie Sailing on Windsurf Oct 1, 2006

GrantParish

I'm sailing on the Windsurf Rome-Nice cruise departing Rome on Oct 1. Other than a short Alaskan cruise 15 years ago with a corporate group, this is my first cruise - certainly the first one that I have planned myself!

My husband and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary and wanted something special. The Windstar looked to fit the bill.

Do you experienced cruisers have any words of wisdom for a newbie? Are there things I should be aware of to have a good experience (is the policy really NO tipping)? Suggestions for shore excursions? Things to avoid? Any advice that would help us to make this a memorable trip would be greatly appreciated.

My husband and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary and wanted something special. The Windstar looked to fit the bill.

Do you experienced cruisers have any words of wisdom for a newbie? Are there things I should be aware of to have a good experience (is the policy really NO tipping)?

They do not push the tipping but that does not mean that you should not do it. On our last cruise, we did tip the waiter that we normally had as well as the cabin steward. If I recall correctly, the waiters all pool their tips but the house staff does not.

The best words of wisdom that anyone can give you is to go, relax and enjoy yourself - and congratulations on the anniversary.

There was a lengthy thread (see below) about tipping on this forum several months ago in which I posted a detailed explanation of how it works -> hope it helps. You might find additional information and other perspectives by searching and/or browsing previous threads on this forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=354966

My wife and I were on the Windsurf last month to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. We have cruised a great deal before, but this was our first experience with Windstar, and it was terrific!! We renewed our wedding vows with the Capt. on the upper deck in Portofino....it was quite an experience. Any questions, let me know.

Archived