Ship Neighbors & Dinner Mates?

PineyEsquire

Has this ever happened to anyone, or was it just a freak coincidence? (Just got back from first cruise, so I don't know). One of the couples at our dinner table (the only other people who were there after the first night) just so happened to be in the cabin directly next to ours. Somehow we always managed to miss each other coming and going in the cabin, and we didn't figure it out until the fifth night of the cruise!

And we only figured it out then because we got married in St. Thomas and put a "Just Married" magnet on our door, and they asked us about it at dinner that night. Turns out that they had. . . *ahem* overheard us a few times. :eek: I must have turned every shade of red at dinner that night. Luckily they were a great couple, and we all ended up having a good laugh about it. . . after I turned back a normal color.

On future cruises should I be more mindful that I may be eating with the same people who are living next door to us?

Similar thing happened to me on my last cruise....I was not on a honeymoon but cruising with my BF....We switched our dinner table because our tablemates were not showing up and we got seated with another couple who had switched their table as well. It was not until the end of our second night eating together that we realized our cabins were right next to eachother. Obviously this was a coincidence as each of us had changed from our original seating.

They had commented on "ahem...noises" as well. Luckily I had had a few glasses of wine at that point and just laughed!!

Are the walls taht thin were you can actually hear noise from next door, id imagine youd have to be very loud to hear that oh well..maybe people are just nosy!

Well, we never heard anything from any of the other rooms, but we were on our honeymoon. . . ;)

Too funny ! Never had my tablemates next door, but in the vein of what you were saying, my girlfriend wanted to go topless on Orient Beach but was afraid of running into someone we "knew" from the ship. Sure enough, we saw 3 guys from the adjacent table that we'd hung out with prior to that - it might have been a little awkward. Glad you had the nerve to throw caution to the wind, though ! :D

Too funny ! Never had my tablemates next door, but in the vein of what you were saying, my girlfriend wanted to go topless on Orient Beach but was afraid of running into someone we "knew" from the ship. Sure enough, we saw 3 guys from the adjacent table that we'd hung out with prior to that - it might have been a little awkward. Glad you had the nerve to throw caution to the wind, though ! :D

Oh, we crossed that bridge too! We kept running into this mother/daughter duo (they were both adults though) on and off the ship; it was weird, and it got to be laughable how often we wound up at the same spot. And sure enough, we run smack into them on Orient Beach. I was braver than they were. :D

Once on Conquest. Our neighbors (we had corner aft balcony-they the wrap around) were assigned to the same dinner table. Oddly we discovered it before the first dinner while visiting on the balcony. I do think that is unusual though. BTW-Neither of us were on our honeymoon.:)

LMAO......WOW, I never thought of that! On our Elation cruise in Feb my son and his wife are on one side of us and DH's MOTHER on the other side. :eek: (Other family member across the hall). Guess we'll have to hold it down a bit :D.

141 days - Elation 2/3/07

LMAO......WOW, I never thought of that! On our Elation cruise in Feb my son and his wife are on one side of us and DH's MOTHER on the other side. :eek: (Other family member across the hall). Guess we'll have to hold it down a bit :D.

You might want to slip them a mickey at supper....maybe slip the waiter some $$ to help you....lol

Thanks all for the laugh of the day.

on our Fantasy cruise, the last night at dinner, one of our tablemates was missing and his girlfriend said he was in bed sleeping because he had stayed up all night partying and was resting so he could do it again. She asked our waiter to fix him up a plate to go. Then, she proceeds to open up two Benadryl capsules and drops the meds into his mashed potatoes (that were swirled up really pretty) and then mashes them all up so he wouldn't know it!

I made the comment that I can't believe you just did that, and she was like "oh, it won't hurt him, it will just make him sleep. I don't like wondering where he's at and I want him in bed, so I can party all night without him!!" We seen them a couple of hours later that evening in one of the lounges, and he was going strong, so I guess the Benadryl didn't work on him!! What would you have done?? We were just flabbergasted. The other couple at the table, their travelmates, just laughed about it and acted like no big deal!!

I got one better.

I had put my sailing, screen name, and all those particulars on an early cruise site (forget which one, but it wasn't CC), maybe shipmates or something.

Well, within a week, I got an email staing that he and his wife would be on that sailing (the Triumph), with nothing more than a "happy sailing". I wrote back, and then he wrote back, signing it "Dan and Sue X". Again, not showing any interest of meeting on board. So that was that.

Our first night at dinner, we were shown our table, which was for ten, where another couple was already seated. We sat down, made our pleasantries, and chit chat.

During those first few minutes, he somehow mentioned he was on the computer a lot, which struck a chord, but nothing really than me thinking "Nah!", and continued talking.

Well, the conversation got deeper and deeper, and there were just too many coincidences, when I finally said "Dan?", he says "Yes", I say "X?", he says "YES!", I said who I was, and we broke out into rip roaring laughter. Needless to say, we bonded for the whole cruise.

The clincher was upon returning to our room, at some point I went out to the balcony, eventually turned right, and who do you think was on the other side of the partition?!

We booked a cruise on purpose with our very best friends next door and the "noises" that came from their room, well let me just say , they were having a really good time away from the kids. Anyway, we realized that THEY could probably also hear us, if we could hear them. We finally all had a really good laugh about it but I think that next time we will book rooms next to strangers. :)

on our Fantasy cruise, the last night at dinner, one of our tablemates was missing and his girlfriend said he was in bed sleeping because he had stayed up all night partying and was resting so he could do it again. She asked our waiter to fix him up a plate to go. Then, she proceeds to open up two Benadryl capsules and drops the meds into his mashed potatoes (that were swirled up really pretty) and then mashes them all up so he wouldn't know it!

I made the comment that I can't believe you just did that, and she was like "oh, it won't hurt him, it will just make him sleep. I don't like wondering where he's at and I want him in bed, so I can party all night without him!!" We seen them a couple of hours later that evening in one of the lounges, and he was going strong, so I guess the Benadryl didn't work on him!! What would you have done?? We were just flabbergasted. The other couple at the table, their travelmates, just laughed about it and acted like no big deal!!

I don't know about anyone else, but this is pretty scary! Reminds me of the babysitter who was giving the kids benadryl to quiet them down and one died! I don't know what I would have done - I too probably would have commented that I couldn't believe she would do that. I can't believe that the other couple just laughed it off. I don't know who you would report something like this to, but it's just wrong!

Not to mention that 2 benadryls (while not an overdose or anything) is twice the usual adult dose and if he got to drinking on top of it, that could create a dangerous situation (like falling overboard or maybe even some kind of toxic poisoning if he drank enough!)

Sometimes it's scary to think of the types of people we walk this planet with! :eek:

Archived