Navigator Review July 3-10, 2004

Well, I made it back and have to say that I'm a Royal Carribean convertee. I had been on Carnival twice; loved both times but this trip was a notch or two above. If you like to read whiney reviews looking for nit-picky things to slam the ship/cruise line/industry, then don't bother reading this review for it will be filled with nothing but positive comments.

First off, my family of four left several days early in order to take advantage of frequent flyer miles so we ended up exploring the Florida Keys but not before being delayed six hours due to weather. Lesson here is don't fly in the day of the cruise but extend your vacation by a day or two early so as not to push the time envelope with the departure of the cruise ship. The night before the Saturday departure we stayed at the Renaissance Eden Roc Resort on Miami Beach using Marriott Rewards points so I'm not sure how much it would have cost but it is a hotel that Royal Carribean uses for pre/post stays. It is a beautiful hotel with great views of the ocean, large rooms, nice pool, and right along the boardwalk. There is also a Dollar Car Rental office in the hotel that you can turn in your rental car should you decide to do so. We had rented a car at the airport and turned it in before 6:00PM the night before the cruise. This particular office closes at that time. We took a cab to the port (fare was $25 plus tip) arriving at 10:45. Porters were readily available to take all of your luggage (don't forget those small bills for tipping). By 11:00 we were working our way through security, SeaPass account, pictures, etc., and had there not been heightened security due to the 4th of July we would have been on the ship by 11:30. However, additional scrutiny was taking place somewhere so we ended up not boarding until 12:30. Total count of passengers was 3592 plus 1200+ crew members but crowding was not really a problem. There was the mention of 850+ children (below 18 years of age) but they were never a problem either. Thanks to all the parents who kept a tight reign on their children!!!

We had Stateroom 1390 (aft balcony) on Deck 10 next to the corner and this room was very nice. Rooms were spacious and larger than the room we had on Carnival Paradise two years prior but the balcony was huge. How does 12 x 15 feet sound to you? On the deck was two chairs, a small round table, and three lounge chairs. Our daughters had 1677, an interior room, that was smaller but still worked out fine for the two of them. More than two people though and you will be stepping on each other. The showers and bath rooms were more than sufficient. We had the stewards (two for each room) empty the refrigerator the first day so as not to be billed for the items as we had brought our own items. We had stopped at a Wal-Mart the day before and picked up Diet Coke, Diet Dr. Pepper, Gatorade, and bottled water in order to satisfy our own particular tastes. Diet Coke and water could be found on board but not the Diet Dr. Pepper or Gatorade. The refrigerator did not do a very good job of cooling but we did have our collapsible ice chest that the steward filled with ice each morning and evening. The first day it didn't seem like the stateroom was getting very cool so we let our steward know and within a couple of hours a maintenance team made a trip to check things out. Not sure what they did but we could have gotten hypothermia had we wanted to at any time after that. My wife took her blow dryer but never used it as the one provided in the vanity was more than sufficient (1200 watts). There are two plugs at the base of the mirror. The power strip worked great for additional outlet requirements because there are no other. Some people have said there is one in the bathroom and I saw one underneath but it had a funky plug of some sort so never was able to use it. We did take a small electric clock but it was NOT reliable. On two occasions I rose thinking it was the posted time on the clock only to rise and find out that it was an earlier time. The only thing I could figure out is that 60 Hertz is not constant in the power source. This is one tidbit I don't recall reading about on the boards so the lesson here is use a battery powered clock.

Several other things about Deck 10 aft--Yes, the stairs are mid ship and it is a little walk but you could be in the Windjammer or on the elevator in less than a minute so don't let the naysayers scare you off with the "tremendous" distances you'll have to walk. Besides, everyone can benefit from the extra steps. Also, our room was right below the Windjammer but noise was never an issue due to activity in the feeding area or noise in the hallways. When you close the balcony door and the stateroom doors, it is quiet! We did have soot on one occassion but then soot was noticeable poolside as well. Vibration--you felt it quite a bit while underway but it wasn't limited to just the aft portion of the ship. I noticed it virtually everywhere so don't let people scare you off reserving the aft balcony rooms complaining of vibration.

With regard to privacy on the balcony, unless someone looks around the partition, you have privacy on Deck 10. However, below Deck 10 you will not have as much privacy. In fact, standing at the rail of Deck 10 will give you total view of Deck 9 below you. I'm not talking partial view but total view. Also, on Deck 9 it seemed like there was water draining from the nooks and crannies of the ship's structure onto the lower decks pretty much every day from either rain or window/deck cleanings.

Food was very good. We ate in the Windjammer every day for lunch and it would be comparable to what you would find at any cafeteria-type restaurant. There was lots of variety and always tables to ready for your party. Yeah, the window seats may be taken at the peak of lunch but if you look around or wait 30 seconds there will be something open up. For dinner we ate on the 5th deck- Swan Dining Room right by the window. We had asked for first seating (6:00), which we got, and a large table to intermingle with other cruisers. We receive a table for six but had no one else other than my family of four. That was o.k. and worked out fine. The waiter and assistant waiter were both from Romainia and did everything possible to make our meals enjoyable, including recommendations as to what to eat. Not once did our waiter steer us wrong on selections of menu items. We ate in the dining room every night so I can't offer any opinions on Portofino or Chops. Neither did I hear anyone say anything about these two options. In fact, we chose not to eat at any alternative restaurant and don't feel like we missed out on a thing. Johnny Rockets--the $3.95 surcharge is still in place but never saw how crowded it was as we never passed by during any of the meals. I will say that by week's end I found myself just wanting a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. One other thing--we did room service for breakfast on the balcony twice and it was fantastic. We filled out the form the night before with our selections and time, hung it on the door, received a call at the specified time, and recieved a very good meal promptly. Don't forget to tip. This is one of those "you have to do things" at least once during the week.

The fitness center was awesome. There were 20 treadmills and a host of other pieces of equipment (stairsteppers, eliptical machines, etc.) not to mention Nautilus machines, stationary bicycles, Pilates balls, mats, free weights, etc. scattered in various sections of the center. I ran nearly everyday on the treadmills and never had to wait for a machine. Several times I showed up at 6:45 AM and ran into 3-4 people in the whole facility. Prime time centered around 3:00 PM and one might have to wait for a particluar machine. The really nice showers are located in the ShipShape Center with plenty of nice towels and a huge hot tub. Saunas are also located back in the shower room. To be continued...in Part Two...

WOW!! You wrote this review just for me!! :D I was just sitting here grumbling how there are never any NOS reviews and low and behold I hit refresh and there was yours! Plus, I'll be staying in 1688 (aft Deck 10), staying at the Eden Roc pre-cruise and renting a car from Dollar for the trip from the airport! (Insert theme from Twilight Zone here....)

Gotta go read Part 2 now! Thanks!!!!

Thanks for the review. We have booked Navigator Cabin 1690 and my husband's sister has 1677 for Feb 2005. We were hoping to have a third lounge chair and maybe even a third chair on the balcony. Since his sister is single and essentially pays double we thought this would be workable. We have sailed RCI many times, but not the voyager class.

Hello to someone I probably passed nin the hall every day and didn't know it. We were in Cabin 1694 on your same cruise. I must say I agree with all you have said (part 2 as well). We had a great week. Embarkation was smooth and easy. The food was very good - in the dining room, Windjammer, room service, Promonade Cafe, and Portofinos. The aft cabin was the best. The vibration was not bothersome - as a matter of fact I think it helped me sleep.We loved the ports. We went to Blackbeards Cay in Nassau - great, quiet beach. St Thomas we did the Cas Cay Eco Tour Float/Hike/ snorkel = it was the best shore excursion I have ever done. My 12 year old has decided he wants to get his SCUBA cert before our next cruise. Labadee was wonderful - as always!

Thank you for writing a great review -

Sorry i didn't know you were right down the hall - we could have visited.

Kelley

I will be on NOS next Mar. 25 with a high school group and am having a very difficult time picking which cabins. Here's the scoop-my parents will be going who have a difficult time walking, but I love the aft balcony cabin-we had 7694 on the VOS and loved it. So I need a variety of rooms-an interior for my sons and a balcony for my folks (near elevator) and wonder if there are any suggestions out there that would give me a cat. D or E with an interior nearby. Been searching the deck plans but it's making me dizzy.

We had 1390 (D1 balcony) and the kids had 1677 (I think Cat L or M) which worked out just fine. They were only a few steps down the passageway and on the corner. They did, however, have a different muster station and stewards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived