Bringing Irons Onboard - Is it really prohibited?

mskita

[quote name='Mikew0805']I don't know what Goincruisin meant by "plates", but if that is the hot metal surface that is on a regular iron, then no, it does not have that. I thought the whole point of a steam iron was to avoid those, as I said in my first post on this thread, anytime I have tried to use those, I make the clothing much worse than it was before I tried to use it, so I don't use those at all, even at home.

-Mike[/quote]

Yes, those plates (hot metal surface) is what makes irons, well... IRONS. If yours did not have those, it was a STEAMER, not a steamer IRON. So what you brought was definitely allowed. A steamer IRON is not allowed. Pretty simple :D

[quote name='Buster27']How is a little travel iron any more of a fire hazard than a curling iron left on???? Hot rollers left on????? Hair straigteners left on??????
And how in the world could a little travel iron overload an electrical system?

Ever been in a cabin with a couple of women getting ready? There's so many things plugged in, you can hardley move.

I've never heard or read of any fire anywhere being started by an iron being left on.
Yet it's ok for some drunk to come back to the cabin and light up??????

Get real.[/quote]

To answer your question about electricity and irons, I'd have to be an electrical engineer. More specifically, an engineer who understands how the wiring on a ship is set up and differs from what we have in our homes. Let it suffice to say that they have their reasons and they say NO irons period. Smoking? Well, that's another whole can of worms.

No, I don't necessarily think cruiselines make rules to inconvenience passengers, but I certainly do think they make certain rules so they can make more money off passengers...which they are entitled to do...they are a business, not a charity.

Why allow irons, when they can make money off people getting their clothes pressed.

I just don't see a little travel iron as a fire hazard. If it was, then they would have to prohibit curling irons, straightening irons, extension cords, adapters etc.

[quote name='Buster27']No, I don't necessarily think cruiselines make rules to inconvenience passengers, but I certainly do think they make certain rules so they can make more money off passengers...which they are entitled to do...they are a business, not a charity.

Why allow irons, when they can make money off people getting their clothes pressed.

I just don't see a little travel iron as a fire hazard. If it was, then they would have to prohibit curling irons, straightening irons, extension cords, adapters etc.[/quote]

Have you checked out how many electrical fires have been started versus the number of fires started by cigarettes?? Apparently the engineers that built the cruise ships know a little something... the stress on the system, current, etc. If your theory is correct, why in the world would they have laundry rooms with irons in them on every deck??? They don't charge for the use of the irons... and they are in rooms that are designed to be laundry rooms.

Do you know enough about the electrical systems on the ships to make that statement??? :confused: It doesn't matter what YOU think is a fire hazard... cruise lines consider an iron a fire hazard... to any reasonable person, that would be all they needed to know.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]My goodness people. I didn't realize a simple question was going to cause so much drama. Mike, I agree with you that people can make comments without being so rude. Wow!!! [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='mskita'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]My goodness people. I didn't realize a simple question was going to cause so much drama. Mike, I agree with you that people can make comments without being so rude. Wow!!! [/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

You have to understand that this is a hot button issue... nobody is responding rudely to you, your question was answered and I hope you don't feel anyone was rude. Threads take on a life of there own... don't take it personally. But yes, this question generally does cause quite a stir.

[quote name='GoinCruisin']You have to understand that this is a hot button issue... nobody is responding rudely to you, your question was answered and I hope you don't feel anyone was rude. Threads take on a life of there own... don't take it personally. But yes, this question generally does cause quite a stir.[/quote]

I wasn't referring to anyone being rude to me, but to Mike. I had already posted my second comment about not taking an iron onboard, so that was it for me. However, thanks.

[quote name='Mikew0805']If their is such a thing as a portable steam iron with hot metal plates.. then I apologize for using the wrong terminology. [/quote]
[IMG]http://www.allbrands.com/images/products_main/M_3550_whirtravel.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.allbrands.com/images/products_main/M_1494_clir68sp.jpg[/IMG]

[B][COLOR=purple]Yes there is such thing as a travel steam iron as pictured above. It has hot plates just as the normal home versions do. :) These would not be allowed as per Carnival's rules.[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='Mikew0805']GEESH is right BND, please brush up on your reading skills, I did't SNEAK anything on board, I DO NOT SNEAK anything, anytime at all on board.

First of all to all you rude people, that tell me I am breaking a rule ( yes including you holy'er than thou, booze smugglers ) When I WORKED for Carnival this was cleared thru OPERATIONS. I have had no problem getting it on board at any time.

Mr Pete, No I didnt say anything about being selfish, AGAIN read the post, I was told it was ok to bring by operations. That answers your question right?

Goincruisin, IT is called a Austin House travel clothes steamer. ( not iron ) And it does exactly what I said it does, removes wrinkles.

mysticks.... it wasnt a screener.

BigDuck, AGAIN, no reason to be rude, I unlike others on this board never have said I am above the rules. Actually, just the opposite.

It really amazes me how many people are so dang rude on these boards. Let me make something clear about myself right away. I don't intentionally break rules, I dont sneak alcohol on board, I don't under dress for dinner, I don't whine and complain at any old thing on board the ships that go wrong. In other words I dont break the rules. SO, maybe you people that sit there just looking for someone to be rude to, ( except Goincruisin, since it appeared you tried to clarify what I was saying and didn't jump down my throat ) should find more productive things to do with your time. I am a very nice person, and if you were not so rude to me, and actually had a conversation with me instead, you would realize this. What is really sad is I like to spend so much time here at Cruise Critic, and after rudeness like this, I really do not know why.

In fact, since I have been here I have seen people being rude for no reason at all, when like in this case, I am trying to give the OP an alternate solution that works for us.

Anyway, thanks & sorry to those of you who said nothing, and now that let me vent!

-Mike

edited: BTW to the OP, you can buy one at Walmart for only $10 bucks, and it really takes out the wrinkles in your clothing quick. I use it daily at home, it is just so easy to use.[/quote]

You're getting the idea. The most "professional" rude will continue to flame with cute little scenarios. Just wait. ;)

[quote name='Buster27']No, I don't necessarily think cruiselines make rules to inconvenience passengers, but I certainly do think they make certain rules so they can make more money off passengers...which they are entitled to do...they are a business, not a charity.

I just don't see a little travel iron as a fire hazard. If it was, then they would have to prohibit curling irons, straightening irons, extension cords, adapters etc.[/quote]

Actually Carnival has self service laundry rooms on board so the reasoning that they are trying to use the "no iron" rule as a profit center does not hold any water here. The bottom line is it is the cruise lines rule and it is put into place by them for the passengers to follow. If one does not like that then they can choose to spend their vacation dollars elsewhere. Pretty simple.

[quote name='GoinCruisin']ROFLMAO!!!! :p You're doing better than me!! I couldn't even tell you where my iron is :p :D[/quote]

At least you know that you own one. I couldn't even tell you if I own one or not. And if I do, I'd be damned if I knew where to find it.

[quote name='megansdad1']At least you know that you own one. I couldn't even tell you if I own one or not. And if I do, I'd be damned if I knew where to find it.[/quote]

Well, I'm assuming I still have one... last time I saw it, I believe it was the day after my wedding, 13 years ago :p LMAO!!!! I'm sure it's in a box around here somewhere :D

Hey! Have fun on your cruise!!

[quote name='BND']Geesh, which part of the NO IRONS rule did you not get? The OP did not about how to sneak one on board, and she/he understands that they are not allowed. You're concerned about wasting water but not about everyone's safety? Kind of screwy logic don't you think. It's not your decision whether irons pose a safety risk or not.[/QUOTE]
Read before you write. He said... with their consent.

[B][COLOR=purple]Don't feel bad. I know where mine is and I still won't use it. :o That is the household chore that I hate the most. I fold or hang up everything hot out of the dryer and the things that really need it can go to the cleaners. [/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='GoinCruisin']Well, I'm assuming I still have one... last time I saw it, I believe it was the day after my wedding, 13 years ago :p LMAO!!!! I'm sure it's in a box around here somewhere :D

Hey! Have fun on your cruise!![/quote]

Not meaning to hi jack this thread. Last post I promise. Thank you. Look forward to my live from the Legend tomorrow night or monday morning. :D

[quote name='boundingmaynard']Read before you write. He said... with their consent.[/quote]

Read before you write :p He also made the mistake of saying they consented to him bringing a steam IRON, when in fact, they consented to bringing a steamer... much different :D

[quote name='GoinCruisin']Well, I'm assuming I still have one... last time I saw it, I believe it was the day after my wedding, 13 years ago :p LMAO!!!! I'm sure it's in a box around here somewhere :D

Hey! Have fun on your cruise!![/quote]

I hope you didn't ship it to me instead of my Tshirt and Bubba Mug. :D

[quote name='boundingmaynard']Read before you write. He said... with their consent.[/quote]

Okay, just because he said he had "their consent" doesn't mean he did. He said he brought an IRON, which turns out he didn't. Because he wasn't clear, those of us who thought he knew what an iron was get grief?

Rude is subjective and I really enjoy how people breaking the rules (not aimed at anyone, have to make a disclaimer to not get flamed) who act offended and say anyone pointing out they're doing something illegal or wrong are rude for doing so. This has gotten ridiculous especially since the OP was very nice about the whole thing and understanding the rules decided not to take an iron because it's against the rules. Mike piped in about how he took an iron and got this rolling with an incorrect statement on his part.

[quote name='Mikew0805']We have brought our portable steam iron on board for every Carnival cruise, with thier consent. It fits easily into our "duffle" that we carry on to the ship for each cruise. As far as safety is concerned, a steam iron poses no additional threat versus say, a curling iron, blow dryer, stereo, or any other small electrical device I have seen people say that they bring aboard. I would much rather prefer to use the hot water method when showering, however for some reason this has never ever worked for us. Maybe it is because the showers we take are not as hot as others, and I am not willing to just let the water run, whether I am paying for it or not.

I like ALL my clothes to be wrinkle free when I put them on. No matter what I do, when I use a regular iron my clothes end up more wrinkled than before ironing. I know it probably sounds like a hassle to most of you to bring it aboard, but I would guess no more than lugging soda or alcohol aboard.

-Mike[/quote]

[B]No ya didn't! If ya brought one aboard, ya did it illegally. They would never "consent" to such a thing. Irons are a fire hazard and, if the room steward sees one, he is authorized to confiscate it....so you are trying to blow smoke here. Irons are not permitted. You may bring a travel STEAMER - perhaps that is what you are talking about....Hand held little gadget, plug it in, put a little water in it and when the steam starts flowing, pass it over your hanging clothes....[/B]

[quote name='GoinCruisin']Read before you write :p He also made the mistake of saying they consented to him bringing a steam IRON, when in fact, they consented to bringing a [U][I][B]steamer[/B][/I][/U]... much different :D[/quote]

Oh, I pack my steamer for cooking rice on my balcony. Rice goes good with the possum cooking in my crockpot...

Can I go on the October cruise?!?

Archived